What to do with vomiting dog? Vets can’t find cause

@daughtersisterpartnermom How long have you had him? Are you sure he didn’t have some health issues and that’s why they were giving him up? Definitely switch back to Iams. It’s cheap but it’s a good food. Price point doesn’t denote how healthy a food is for pets. A lot of the expensive brands actually have little to no testing or science backing them up and can do more harm than good.

@daughtersisterpartnermom This is completely random, but there was a different breed of dog that I remember seeing that had difficulty eating in the normal prone position. (your vet will be familiar with this condition, I mean the medical name which I cannot remember.)

The owners had created a special feeding chair that the dog essentially clambered into so that he was sitting upright when he was eating. That helped the food to go down with gravity and everybody was happy that way (and the food stayed down...😏)

You might want to see if you can arrange to hold your dog upright and give it some food as an experiment, just a little bit, and then see if it stays down after that feeding approach?

Worth a try, and free at least at first, aside from the extra effort.

As others have noted, this may also just be some sort of food sensitivity or allergy that you need to work through to ID.

@thecup -thank you!- 🤩

I'm terrible with the medical and physiological names of things, but I remember what they are fundamentally. (My brain-block with nomenclature drives my veterinary friends and coworkers crazy! 🤪 )

@daughtersisterpartnermom Ahhh - that's actually very useful to know! 😏

Make sure that you have told your veterinarian about this, because it does suggest that there is some stomach sensitivity to the food, or something more complex happening in your dogs digestive tract.

@searchingforchrist I had to scroll too far to find this. This is the real answer. Abdominal ultrasound, then endoscopy / CT if indicated. They’ll be looking for things like a hiatal hernia, GERD, H. Pylori, reflux, stricture, colitis, IBD, etc.

A referral is the next step for a true diagnosis and treatment plan.

@daughtersisterpartnermom Chicken is a big allergen too. I’d try a food that avoids both those things.

I’d also consider getting an ultrasound for further diagnostics. They can catch things that X-rays miss. Has the dog been given Cerenia to stop the vomiting? At this point the inflammation could be causing a cycle, it’s happened with my dog and the vet gives a 5 day regimen of Cerenia to get him back on track.

Back