unless you have a reactive dog you don't understand

@jyoooohs How I tend to explain it to clients, that helps them understand this...

I have an anxiety disorder - panic disorder to be specific. I will always have an anxiety disorder, that's just the way my brain is. However, through management strategies and learning coping skills, I am able to handle my anxiety disorder. That doesn't mean I don't ever have panic attacks - I do - but now they are fewer and far between.

People seem to get that.

@busryde I love this! I use introverts as a reference a lot. People want to pet my dog because she's big and fluffy, but she doesn't like to be touched by strangers. "Imagine being an introvert and everyone wanting to touch you." That would suck.

@jyoooohs A friend has been a dog trainer for decades. She was always telling what to do better. I was appreciative of the help and tried so hard. She ended up with a reactive dog. Called me one night to apologize for always telling me what to do better. She finally was seeing for herself that sometimes it is what it is. We do our best and hope for the best.

@refei I’m so glad your friend knows better now, but I’m curious how she was a dog trainer for decades without ever working with reactive dogs? Does she just teach obedience?

@thefixer FWIW I think there are more reactive dogs now. A trainer I know has been noticing this. There are more being “bred” in various ways. I never used to hear about the issue of reactive dogs until recently.

@christianman02 There is more to it than that too. Pandemic puppies are making it seem worse as well. Many of those dogs were under socialized and not given the appropriate opportunities to learn to be a healthy, well-balanced dog in this world. So you have dogs that may have had some level of a genetic predisposition for developing some form of reactivity being given very little opportunity to work against it because the world was shut down and everything was weird. We’re 3 years out from that and so we’re really starting to hit the point reactive dogs are seemingly becoming more common because of the lack of appropriate environment to expose and socialize dogs during critical life periods.

There is also that fact that historically speaking, reactive dogs were viewed as bad dogs and once they started biting people? You put them down for being a bad dog. The concept of BE is newer in the sense that BE now is usually something approximating a last resort because it isn’t possible to provide the dog a safe, peaceful, quality of life despite doing the work to try and help them. Up until the last 15 to 20 years, you were just putting down a bad, broken dog that was dangerous. That feeds directly into how dogs were trained and the idea of behavior modification to address some of these reactivity issues and help these dogs just wasn’t a widespread thing. If you were taking your dog to training and it ended up being a “bad dog,” euthanasia was on the table. When I worked in the vet field 15 to 20 years ago, we saw far more dogs being brought in for euthanasia because they bit people and were “dangerous” than I did 10 years ago. It really started to drop off. People are doing more work now with harder dogs and recognizing the dog is not a bad dog, but rather their dog needs help to address their challenges leading to undesirable and potentially dangerous behaviors.

And yes, how dogs are being bred is becoming increasingly problematic, and the kinds of breeds people are gravitating toward. Ethical breeding exists, but finding those breeders can be incredibly hard and many savvy BYB know how to seem ethical making it more complicated (a good starting point is asking a breeder why they were compelled to breed this litter since ethical breeders will give you a run down on how each of the parents is potentially contributing to creating offspring that better the breed per the breed standard with evidence of why essentially while BYB tend to focus on other qualities). People are also picking breeds they really shouldn’t. Someone who has never owned a dog before and has a sedentary lifestyle has no business getting a maligator. A chaotic family with a lot young of children should really reconsider if that teacup chihuahua or yorkie is a good fit for them. Rescues also need to stop using coded words in their dog descriptions and be frank in their behavior histories so dogs end up in the right homes prepared to help them from the start.

It’s a complicated situation, but I’m personally hoping it is a passing phase and we as humans do better for our dog companions going forward.

@thomsaem This is an excellent comment. Lots of great information. I think the comment about breeds is helpful. My rescue dog is from Thailand. She was brought here by a group of do-gooders. There's a special shelter over there. She has a high prey drive, so she can't be around other dogs, especially small dogs. She doesn't play with other dogs in the normal way. She is anxious and on Prozac. She cannot have veterinary care in the normal way. I never had a dog like her. The shelter probably knew about the veterinary care issue, as they have their own vet practice there and handled the pre-adoption vet issues. These are things I'd ask about in future.

Also, I did the Embark test, and my dog has breeds like Jindo. I'd never adopt a Jindo or Shiba Inu. This was one of the things my trainer friend was upset about, that people were bringing all kinds of breeds in that might not make for best pets. BTW, this was pre pandemic. I got this dog in 2017. I guess the pandemic has made it worse.

What are some of the code words used by shelters. I'd like to be more aware.

What is your background, BTW. You seem very knowledgeable.

@jyoooohs Small tip for the barking at people: our trainer doesn’t suggest having strangers feed them treats when they’re doing this. She has us toss them on the ground in front of the dog, and has us avoid eye contact with the dog. It helps a lot.

@jyoooohs The eye contact part is huge, it helped my dog a lot and now when we walk he just looks at people hands. If they get close enough he nudges them with his nose to see if they have treats. Any other dog and I’d correct them for doing that but since he used to be scared of people I let him have this replacement behavior.

@jyoooohs One of my wishes if I ever find a genie is gonna be for every reactive dog to stop being reactive forever, but for every non-reactive dog to just suddenly be wildly reactive for 24 hours so that people with “good” dogs get a taste.

@field If my dog suddenly stops being reactive one day, I’ll know you found that genie and will be forever grateful you used your one wish this way.