The high-value treat Big Dog Food doesn't want you to know about

@kfelger1 added it in the post! we don't know who her dad was, but we're gearing up for a lot of time spent brushing out her coat. (and secretly hoping her heeler genes keep her fur short)

@randywmoore45 I used it in place of kibble every 6-8 instances of good behavior. We use "nice" as our marker for good behavior, so an example of using the tube to reinforce would look like this:
  1. Dog heels (her shoulder to my knee) for 2-3 steps
  2. Mark behavior with "nice" and come to stop
  3. Gently (this is key) squeeze some training paste into their mouths. They'll lick/bite the tube but I remove it as soon as I see they've gotten some paste.
  4. Give cue to resume walking
  5. Repeat as often/infrequently as you and your dog need!
I also have been using it outside of heel-training to work on socialization--because it's so high value, I can keep it at the dog's mouth for several seconds and it's engaging enough that I can keep her focus on me (even if I'm not actively squeezing the tube).

The first few times we used it, they were a bit skeptical, but by the middle of the first walk (about 10 minutes in) both were doing really well walking with a loose leash. I think they were caught off guard by the texture and method of delivery, but once we all practiced it became a really smooth method of treating. I keep the squeeze bottle in my pocket when I'm not using it--I only remove it and open the lid after I mark the behavior. I don't want the sound of the lid opening to become a cue for them. Let me know if you have any other questions!

@charlie84 I do chicken or liver in the instant pot, I make jerky using ground turkey, lamp or pork, yogurt chips, several varieties of pup loaf, a semi moist kibble using silicone dot molds and pyramid pans, several different mixtures I use a a filling for bones, kongs or to spread on a lick mat to promote calmness, bone broth, a doggy stew..... I could probably keep going. My guy eats a mixture of homemade, Muenster brand kibble and raw and every bit of it is used for concept training in some way.

@charlie84 Not something I would want to eat but I'm sure my dogs would go nuts for it lol. Do you happen to have a reference for the squeeze bottles? Perhaps a link as an example.

@pchris With the chicken instead of tuna, it actually smells pretty innocuous! Smells like a poorly made pumpkin spice latte lmao.

These silicone squeeze bottles are similar to what I ended up buying. I was looking for something with a flat bottom to make it easier to fill.

I mentioned it above, but if I were going to purchase more, I would lean towards these applesauce pouches--I think the spout is better suited to doling out responsible portions.

Back