The high-value treat Big Dog Food doesn't want you to know about

@charlie84 For anyone who wants to use fish, something like sardines will be way better to give your dog on the regular, tuna has a lot of mercury. For training treats you want to be able to feed pretty liberally without worrying about mercury poisoning or anything like that.

@cjomkr I would research and lean towards salmon over sardines. Sardines is like 1 for a medium sized dog, unless you're just using a few for smell and flavor. As we all know, dogs love stinky!

@charlie84 Reading this and saving it for when I get my puppy. Also when I read "lick of chicken n' yogurt" I thought of the nickname "lickin' chicken" and can't stop laughing at that.

@charlie84 That’s fascinating. My dog will not eat, but will scent-roll, any fish product, even commercially made treats (like salmon etc.). Maybe I’ll get your chicken variation to work for him!

@charlie84 This is a great tip! Do you just store it in the fridge when not in use? About how long is it good for without spoiling? I'm so scared to use something like this for fear of food poisoning.

@tiarnajayde We have two tubes in the fridge (planning to use a tube every couple of days) and I froze two to use within the next week or so. I would definitely be mindful of the quality and freshness of the individual components–I would feel comfortable eating the slurry from a food safety perspective (tho I desperately do not want to)
Hope it works for you!

@charlie84 Thank you! I think we might do something like yogurt / peanut butter / banana. He LOVES all of those but they're all goopy and I haven't been able to figure out how to utilize them out in the world.

Back