The high-value treat Big Dog Food doesn't want you to know about

charlie84

My partner and I have a lovely 2yo border collie mix who we've trained pretty exclusively with toys the past year after a trainer recommended it. It generally works really well for her and us, with the exception of heel--she just doesn't walk well on a leash despite our best efforts. We just adopted a heeler/aussie mix puppy a few weeks ago, and it's been fun to work with a traditionally food-motivated puppy to change things up. The past week, we've been trying to train heel again with our older dog, as she's been relegated to leashed walks only due to a sprain. As per usual, she struggled outside, especially since we were forced to remove her favorite toy as reinforcer (because she likes to lunge and contort herself to get it).

During a recent Instagram deep dive, I saw someone on Instagram who blended greek yogurt, pumpkin, and tuna together and put it in a reusable squeeze pouch to use as a high value reinforcer on walks with her dog (I can't find the handle, but if anyone knows, please comment!). I thought it would be a great training tool for the puppy, and whipped some up (I added boiled chicken and stock instead of tuna to help with the smell). Lo and behold, both dogs love it! I am not exaggerating when I say it has changed the fucking game for us. Within two (2!!) walking sessions, both dogs were heeling on my left side (as opposed to older dog pulling with all of her energy and puppy desperately wailing and trying to pull just as hard). They both go apeshit for the chicken slurry; our supposedly toy-motivated dog has finally found something with greater allure than her beloved ball-on-a-rope and she walked with a loose leash the whole way. Puppy caught on faster than I thought could ever be possible.

I hope this helps someone else! I know different dogs like different things, but it was amazing to watch a dog--who has spit out chicken and hot dogs--work hard to get a lick of chicken n' yogurt. I alternate with kibble to keep the slurry highly salient, and it has worked incredibly well!

ETA some more info:
Proportions: this made about 1.5 cups of slurry.
  • 1 cup non-fat greek yogurt (we had a tub from costco in our freezer that I thawed. It has a relatively low lactose content and doesn't have any added sweeteners or flavors.
  • 2-3 tbsp. pumpkin
  • chicken/tuna (to taste lol). I had some boiled chicken hanging around and I shredded maybe 3 oz. of meat into the blender
  • water/unflavored stock to reach the desired consistency. I made it a little bit looser than toothpaste--it will ooze but definitely isn't runny.
  • I added a bit of banana as well, I don't think it made much of a difference for them, but it made it smell less like chicken, which I prefer.
From a comment below:

These silicone squeeze bottles are similar to what I ended up buying. I was looking for something with a flat bottom to make it easier to fill. The ones I purchase are leak-free, and I ended up having to cut the membrane (?) of the spout so it didn't jet out at my dog.

If I were going to purchase more, I would lean towards these applesauce pouches--I think the spout is better suited to doling out responsible portions.

Disclaimer: I'm not a dog nutritionist! We use this sparingly as a high-value treat. If your dog has a sensitive stomach, please be careful and consider consulting your vet for advice first. It's probably better than shitty hot dogs but I didn't go to vet school or hot dog school. @talkingbunny mentioned below that sardines are a better long-term fish option for your pup, as tuna contains mercury in levels that could become unsafe depending on frequency/load!

Puppy tax!

@matt21 You can freeze cows milk yogurt, at least! Maybe other animal-based yogurts too, but you cannot freeze plant based yogurts! The consistency gets cottage cheesey

@only1grace Interesting, I've been giving my dog plain Balkan yogurt in her Kong (it's a really great way to bind kibble), and she's had some deadly farts, but I hadn't correlated the two! Maybe I'll skip the yogurt for a few days and see if that changes. Dog fart experiments time!

@imagebeastmarkbeast I make watery peanut butter to put in my dog's Kongs with kibble if you are looking for a yogurt alternative. Also, sometimes I'll fill the kong with kibble and then with water for a few minutes so the kibble gets soft, then I'll drain the water and freeze it. All the kibble gets really bound/frozen together without adding any calories to the treat.

@overthehill We found our dog stopped having terrible farts when he ate yogurt? We get / he prefers the 10% yogurt so he only gets a bit. When we run out of yogurt the farts return. I assumed the probiotics were good for him

@hundreddays Probiotics are really good for dogs! My dogs tummy town ( the good and bad bacteria, because you need a mix of both) is most definitely different then yours. Like mine and yours. My pup doesn't really fart a lot to begin with, but when she eats lactose she really let's it rip.

The yogurt most likely for your pup creates a balance that was lacking.

@kim75 I bought some food safe silicon bottles (they are often sold as bottle for salad dressing ). I have also seen people using reusable baby food squeeze pouches–I sometimes see them sold with applesauce.

I did have to modify the lid a bit. The ones I bought are anti-leak, so when you squeeze it, it had a little too much pressure and squirted yogurt goop all over the dogs face. If I were going to purchase new ones, I would go with the applesauce style pouch!

And the puppy has been a blast! She’s so different to our older dog, but it’s a nice contrast ☺️

Back