So embarrassing to post but: I’m drained, and i feel like I was lied to about getting a puppy

@gym_class_hero I can't find the comment now, but the actual breakdown wasn't so bad.

2.5 hours crated in the morning, you come home, let her out, and eventually crate again for 3.5 hours? That's really not bad for a puppy. I was WFH with my puppy and he was crated for much longer (smaller increments but same total time). If your dog isn't having an accident in the crate, this schedule seems fine. 7mo puppies still need regulated sleep. It's no wonder you have to crate her at 1pm to get her to nap.

@gym_class_hero What I'd do: try doggie day-care for a week or two. If that doesn't help, contact a rescue group, because she's still young enough to (pretty easily) transition to a new home. No shame, in this economy you can't always control your circumstance.

Now you know what puppies are like. At some point when you're ready for pet ownership, consider an older dog. (That's what I'm going to do -- no more baby puppies after this last one. Instead it'll be a gray, senior dog whose lifestyle matches my own gray, senior lifestyle.)

@gym_class_hero Puppies are an adventure. Our lab was about 10 months old when I started going to work full time. That meant she had to be alone on certain days for about 8 hours, possibly more. I started working on our routine in advance, but I'll tell you what changed the game and made this easier for us.

Every morning we played for at least an hour. For me and my lab girl, that meant a walk, fetch, free play. Whatever we could do that would physically and mentally exhaust her. We established a routine for me leaving for the day. This was a game changer. If she's nice and exhausted when I leave she doesn't have the energy to get into trouble when I'm gone. We never had to crate her and she has never destroyed anything while we are gone. BUT I will admit, there are no days off for this routine. We do it every day now. It's frustrating sometimes, but worth it!

@gym_class_hero there is the 3 week, 3 month rule, it takes three weeks to have a puppy begin to settle in, for you to have time to adjust and it is 3 months for the' new normal' to become routine, part of your life.. . puppys are like small children, they do require a lot time, but if you feel resentful toward the puppy and just dont have time, please do take time to find a GOOD home for the puppy, just dont let anyone take it.

@gym_class_hero You have a fairly brutal 4 years or more ahead of you. The dog only lives 12. It may have a better life if re homed. Life throws curve balls. When you get out and get established you will enjoy having animals. You can’t do that in nursing school. I tried too. The dog lived a long happy life. But the last 5 years were with another family

@gym_class_hero Sometimes our circumstances change and we have to adapt. Your intention is to bring yourself some peace and also make the best choice for your dog. I think rehoming is appropriate in many cases. No one knows what your life is or the feelings you go through. They have no incite so their input and criticism is not only mean, it's pointless. I don't know why so many people feel they know how to walk in YOUR shoes.

@gym_class_hero We just got a Kong Wobble for our 4.5 month old Frenchie and he LOVES it. We put his breakfast and dinner in there and it keeps him busy for a good 15 minutes and gives us time to get ready in the morning and eat dinner. Apparently it’s supposed to be mentally enriching for them too. He gets a lot of energy out trying to get his food out. The hole was too big for his puppy kibble so we had to cover half of the hole with duct tape on the inside.

We have a playpen for him so we just put it in there and let him go to town on it.