So embarrassing to post but: I’m drained, and i feel like I was lied to about getting a puppy

@bknight006 Its worked for me with every dog I've ever encountered. If my dog has energy and I dont have time, I'll spend 15 minutes training and the dog will be tapped and ready to snooze!

@gym_class_hero If you’re feeling like you hate her, it’s time to find her a new home. My fear is that because you’ve developed such negative feelings towards her you’ll develop resentment and maybe wouldn’t treat her so well perhaps.

@gym_class_hero For short : To tire out your dog you need to let them snoff on walks, play with them and mentaly stimulate them.
Teaching random tricks is a very good way to tire out a puppy and havong fun at the same time.
Chew toy and frozen kong can help with the destruction at home.
7 month is a difficult age. Tge pup needs to learn to calm down and good structure at home. Biting stuff is not okay, playing rough with human is not okay.

Now the longer version if you want an exemple based on personal experience:

I have a Husky (10m) in an appartment and she is a very happy puppy.

I do not think apartments are bad for dogs. I think they are actually good because they mean you HAVE to spend time with them which is super cool for them.

I do a 40m walk in the morning. Our walk is 10m sniffing, 20m playing (running after a ball, a flirt pole are playing with a dog), 10m training with her breakfeast. We then go home. If I haven't given her her whole breakfeast during training, I give her what's left at that moment.

I go to work, she stays alone for 9 or 10 hours. She has 2 bowls of water and safe chew toys, I let her freeroam in the living room where there is nothing for her to destroy, but I lock the other rooms. She has access to her crate where she enjoys sleeping.

10 hours later, I come back from work, and take her for a 1h20 walk. We vary the night walk along the week. Sometimes we will do more training and exposure, sometimes it's just playtime with dogs, sometimes it will be going to new streets to sniff, going to a café, running beside the bike and we also start training for bike joering.

After the walk I will spend some time brushing her while we watch a movie, or stuff like that.

Sometimes she needs more than this, sometimes less.

But I wont lie. I do sacrifice my social life at work for her. Sometimes that makes me a bit sad, sometimes I will stay for an afterwork anyway(I take her out at noon in that case) and she is NEVER happy about this hahaha, but I have the right to live sometimes too.

And when she was 7m she destroyed 3 backpacks of mine, lots of socks, lots of sponges(she goes crazy over sponges), my kitchen door has claw marks on it and she ate her house leash, all of this in a 2 weeks span, the time for me to realize we had entered teenage time and I needed to adjust the walks, training and structure at home.

Anyway, hope that gave you some kind of perspective. Wish you the best!

@gym_class_hero As a frenchie owner myself, my answer may be a bit harsher than others, but if you’re at the point where you hate your puppy it’s probably time to rehome her. Frenchies don’t do well locked up in a crate or left alone for hours at a time. They prefer to have companions (other dogs) and are notorious for being full of energy. I’m lucky enough to work from home and my frenchie still gets bored through the day without constant stimulation and playtime. Frenchies require A LOT of attention, and it looks like that’s something you cannot give. You haven’t done anything wrong here, so don’t feel bad if you do decide to rehome. It’s just the characteristics of this breed. As others have suggested please find a reputable frenchie rescue to take her, this breed is often abused and used as money makers so it’s important to ensure she’s placed in a good home. Again, you haven’t done anything wrong, so don’t beat yourself up about this. If you ever need any advise or have questions on the breed please reach out to me, I’m more than happy to help in anyway possible 🙏

@gym_class_hero i'm sorry but how does a frenchie trample an old lady? 😆 they're tiny!

anyway... honestly that really sounds like a rough situation. 7mo is a tough age. they're bratty af, they suddenly don't listen to anything you say, and they still have waaay too much energy. it WLL get better.

i hope you find a way to keep her, but if you need to rehome her, that's ok. if it's best for her, that's what you should do. BUT i'm sure she's attached to you (and you to her), so hopefully you can find some way to make it work.

i agree w/ other posters who mentioned daycare. that might be the way to go. her energy is endless because she's a puppy and she's stuck in a crate all day. if you can let her burn it off in daycare, that would help a lot. otherwise, sitters and walkers are pretty affordable on rover.com in most cities.

if none of that is not financially feasible, look into putting her into a playpen during the day instead of a crate. better yet, see if you can puppy proof your place to the point that she isn't tearing things to shreds. even if she can't have the run of the whole place, giving her a room, or even a part of a room, with plenty of enrichment and toys might help her get her energy out.

trust me, it will end. one day - soon - you'll blink and she'll have calmed down and you will, believe it or not, miss the puppy madness. for my golden retriever girl, it was around 14mo. for other pups it's around 2-3 yrs, but i think for girls it's usually sooner, and for chill breeds like frenchies it's also usually sooner. you might have light at the end of the tunnel already.

finally, your stepdad can go right to hell. not all of us are boomers who bought houses with 2 acre backyards for 50 grand back in the day. it's very possible to give a dog a happy apartment life, esp a little one like a frenchie. my golden and i live in a 1x1 condo, no yard, no balcony. i look forward to the day we can move to a house w/ a yard, but until then i think i give her a pretty damn good life - a dog potty so she never has to hold it when i'm gone, 2-3 hrs walking or playing in the dog park divided into two sessions (the walker takes her if i'm at work during the day), plenty of friends at the dog park downstairs, ridiculous amounts of toys and beds and treats, hikes and trips on the weekends. i honestly think she's better exercised and better socialized than your average suburban dog in a backyard.

edit: i'll also add that like you i'm a busy healthcare professional. i do have the advantage of having finished my training before getting my dog, but i'm still at work a whole lot. i still think my dog has a happy and fulfilled life.

@gym_class_hero Apartment life is fine! You likely wouldn’t let your dog just sit outside in a yard anyway, so IMO, it just makes life a bit harder for you. I didn’t have a fenced yard when I got my puppy, and the worst part was putting on a bra to take him out for potty training.

You sound super overwhelmed, understandably. You’ve got a new place to live, classes, and a new puppy. That’s a lot! And there is no shame in finding a good rescue to help you rehome.

If you want to give a few more things a try, I would highly recommend finding a good day care near by for at least 2-3 days a week. I tried a couple before I found a spot that had a good dog/caretaker ratio, and now my Rover dog walker hosts around 8 dogs in his home and it’s a perfect match for my Bear. Plus it’s dogs he knows now! At the very least, a dog walker mid day will be a huge help for your pup’s mental state for when you get home.

Seven months is a tough age because they look more like a grown dog, but their brains are still at boundary pushing asshole levels. Definitely give some enrichment toys a try including feeding meals out of enrichment toys. Walks are great too, if your dog responds to that. It can be tough with warm weather esp with your breed. I do a lot of frozen things - fill a kong or toppl with kibble and wet food, then freeze. Dinner as enrichment.

Good luck!

@gym_class_hero If you walk, feed, play and care for your dog you are giving it an excellent life. Puppy being bored is so normal and not your fault nor does it mean it's life is bad. Takes awhile for them to learn to calm themselves down. My one year old pup has only just got the hang of settling but is now more than happy to put her self down for sunny naps and dogs actually need a lot of sleep too!

I didn't think dogs were for me when I got my first pup (he is 3 now) but honestly at about 12 months and then again when they are about 2 they just settle down a lot more. It took a fair bit of sacrifice at first and my life is obviously still different than without pups but wouldn't change it for the world. They really do adapt for your lifestyle - just give it some time!

@gym_class_hero Work her brain rather than just play doing repetative things.

Look up trick dog titles, look up basic nosework/scent work training. There is a huge amount of stuff you can do inside you home that tires the dogs brain and will leave them a lot more chilled out.

@gym_class_hero Our Frenchie was like this as a puppy. She’s now 1.5 years and she’s calmed down massively. Lots of people don’t realise how energetic French bulldogs are and the level of mental stimulation they need for them not to be chaotic destruction warriors.

Our Frenchie needs several snuffle mats per day, at least 2x walks with one being focused on sniffing everything and following trails. We book a secure dog park 3x a week before work for just 30 mins where she runs around and goes mental, then most of the day she sleeps between snuffle mats. Then evening or early afternoon we do a 45 minute walk if not too hot.

When she was a puppy it felt like 2.5 hours of exercise barely scratched the surfAce - then we found that training her or more mental stimulation activities worked even better and she was happier. Also, highly recommend having red deer antlers for frenchies, they love them and not easy to chew through (never get goat horns these are dangerous).

We decided that she should be in a day care as she seemed miserable so she goes to a dog day care or stays at home with a sitter we book through Rover or Pawshake that we trust, and she’s pretty happy now, thankfully!

If you feel you can’t give that, then full respect to you for doing what’s best for your pup. I wish you all the best! Xx

@gym_class_hero Have you considered daycare? Getting a dog walker? She clearly has more energy than what you can deal with but there are options for this too. Taking her to puppy classes and/or dog parks so she can run around and play with other dogs will also burn a lot of energy.

@gym_class_hero I have a Frenchie , live in an apartment and work full time. We have a dog walker that comes at lunch to take her for a 2 hour run around with a pack of other dogs. We bought a special camera that will dispense treats and let us talk to our Frenchie during the day( she just sleeps). In the evening she gets another walk and just sleeps the rest of the time. In the morning we also leave her with a snuffle puzzle which takes her an hour to get all the food out. Doing all this she’s a very contented little dog and a gem of a dog. Hope this helps and maybe some will work for you.

@littlesparrow1 Honest question, how did people have dogs before all of these resources? I'm not against dog walkers, but it seems like people used to leave their dogs home alone from 8-5PM without issue, and it's only now become a problem. I understand that research has evolved, but going forward can we only expect WFH or people with a stay at home spouse to be able to own a dog?

@dd73 I think for awhile, they were farm dogs. Lived outside with access to a warm space and helped serve a function on the farm. Then, women were expected to (and did) work in the home for most of the mid 1900's, so someone would've been home all the time. I think also the attitude towards having a dog, training a dog, and recognizing what a dog needs has also changed quite a bit in the last 15-20 years in particular. Additionally, people my age (millenials) seem to be having fewer children, if at all, and can spend the money to be able to give a dog as much as they can. I certainly don't have a budget for my dog....😅

I am extremely neurotic about dog training and my dog, so personally I don't think we would get another puppy without having at least one person home the majority of the time. I think you can definitely make not being home work if you aren't, but I would find it very difficult. I know some workplaces (including mine) are dog-friendly too, which can make it easier

@dd73 I thought this when we got our dog, I grew up with dogs and my parents worked and dogs were home alone all day and absolutely fine. The difference I grew up in the middle of nowhere dogs had access to the outside we had multiple dogs and they were working dogs.
Now I live in one of the busiest cities in the world, no unsupervised access to the outdoors, in an apartment, with a dog that was bred for companionship and we have just one dog.
So It’s different and I feel much better knowing my dog still gets to live a good life when I’m not there. I also equally know she would hate the “country dog life” she couldn’t sleep outside, is definitely a one dog household dog and loves an evening in the pub more than a muddy hike in the Valleys 😆

@gym_class_hero Dogs don’t need hours of play, especially in the house where we’re encouraging them to be calm! Puppies need about 5 minutes of structured play and obedience at a time, it’s all they can really handle, and it tires them out enough they should be fine. Our BC gets 3 round the block walks a day with park time if he’s lucky and 5 mins obedience in the elevator and lobby doorway if not! We were advised not to play with him in the house to enforce calm behaviour at home (he can play on his own) and it’s made a difference!

@gym_class_hero Puppies are a love hate game. Often many times in a day. But if you’re not coping, there’s no shame in calling it quits and rehoming. My dog is 10 months old and decided he doesn’t have to do what he is told. I love him and hate him at the same time. (We go to obedience school each week, been told it’s a teenage phase).

So maybe it’s a short term phase you’re both going through ?

@gym_class_hero You can do small 10-15 minute trainings with your dog to engage their brain and it will tire them out more so than a walk.

Can you do doggy daycare a couple times a week? I had a puppy in college and worked and while it probably wasn't ideal and it delayed his training, he turned out to be a light in my life in a dark difficult time. If you want to make it happen with this dog you will do what's needed to make them happy.