So embarrassing to post but: I’m drained, and i feel like I was lied to about getting a puppy

@dd73 I’m in central Arizona, and it’s definitely too hot to walk the dog by or before 10 AM a lot of mornings still. We’re finally starting to see lower overnight temperatures, but it’s often still in the mid to high 90’s by 9 AM. But we’re definitely the exception weather wise, not the rule, so I totally get where youre coming from. And even here, walking at 7 am or 8 am is now becoming very reasonable (though it definitely wasn’t a couple weeks ago).

@gym_class_hero You don't have to walk to exercise. I have a pup that can't be walked. We do other things for exercise. We play hide n seek (I go into a room and call him and then someone else will call him. So we do back and forth) I feed him with different food toys so he has to work for it. I practice training with him. Mental stimulation can be a great way to tire a dog out. I use his kibble for training most of the tjme. There are so many amazing ways to exercise a dog without walks.

@gym_class_hero As someone in law school with a 6 month old puppy, it's a lot. I feel awful crating him and leaving, even though he handles it well. I also very frequently have the days where I prioritize him and his needs and think I've gotten him happy and satisfied and will have time for myself and my work. Then he enters his witching hour again and I try very hard not to rip my own hair out.

First, I really recommend trying to remind yourself about what you love about her. I never had the puppy blues, but I have had many days where I missed life before him. But right when I'm going to lose it, he'll run up and snuggle into my lap. Or lay on his back and smile at me looking adorable. Or, quite literally the best part of my day, come charging out of his crate in the morning over the moon at getting to see me. Focus on the cute stuff to remind yourself why she's worth it.

Dogs can live very happy and fulfilled lives in an apartment, and they can do the same with an owner in school. Don't let anyone else make you feel bad for not being able to provide a big backyard, millions of dog owners can't. It also takes time to settle into a schedule. It took over a month in our new place, but my little guy is finally getting somewhat less annoying as he adjusts.

My pup also chews things he shouldn't when he's bored. He knows to use his toys, but when I'm not able to play and he's not in the mood to nap, he'll go looking for something new, generally my clothes, and it drives me nuts. I try to keep other things around for those times though. I have a good stash of chews for him and it's a huge relief to toss one and know I'll get thirty minutes of uninterrupted work time.

I also give him cardboard and ration my boxes so when he's off the walls and I don't have time to play, I can toss him a box and let him have a ball shreddding it. Huge mess, but it's worth it for him to be happy and me to be sane. I also got an interactive ball toy that moves and rotates when the dog touches it, it's been a great new way to distract him.

Overall for behavior and training, find out what she responds to best and take her back to basics. Treats helped, but ignoring my guy was the best way to modulate his behavior because he's so social. I trained him out of biting by saying ouch, and removing my appendage from his mouth and ignoring him before redirecting to a treat and praising was very effective. Find what works for your puppy.

Your girl is at an age where regression can happen. Take her back to basics and focus on training again. Don't let her out the door if she's not on a leash. If she yanks you out, stop and make her wait, etc. I am dreading my guys regression because he finally seems to have turned a corner and I can breathe and trust him more, despite what this post may indicate. I can't imagine my life without him now, and he brings me more joy than he does stress.

If you truly feel you can't give her a good life, then rehoming is nothing to be ashamed of, but please take some time to think about it. Give yourself some grace on your bad days, and try to treasure the good ones. I hope things gets better!

@gym_class_hero Puppies are not dogs. They are landshark demons. The dog you will have may be very different from the puppy you have now. I love my dog, but as a puppy, I had days I wanted to drop kick his butt. Be patient and consistent, and you will have a lovely companion worth all the effort.

@zeenosue I have scars on my arm from all the biting I endured. Today I can just stick my hand in his mouth if I ever need to and I know 100 percent he won’t hurt me. They grow up and become a lot more predictable. That doesn’t mean they don’t misbehave, but I can tell a mile away when he is about to.

@spiritoffaith My best behaved dog ever was a border collie/German shepherd and she was an absolute loon for her first two years. She remained a loon for another ten but an exceptionally obedient loon.

@gym_class_hero I don’t have an answer if you should rehome them or not. That is ultimately your decision. And hopefully you do what’s best for both you and the pup.

I will say that I am incredibly sympathetic. I have a cockapoo that’s just about ready to turn a year. I’m obsessed with my dog. I think I do a pretty good job but I have so many days where I’m thinking: I am not enough for her; if only I was in better shape, I could exercise her more; she is bored and I’m the worst mom ever; oh my God I just want to go to bed, Why won’t you go to bed?

There are little buds. And we just want what’s best for them.

I would say, though, if you do decide to keep the dog, and you can financially afford it, daycare is amazing. They feel like such a lifesaver at times. Sometimes I send mine, for a half day, and I just go back home and I sleep. And she always comes back exhausted and happy.