r/dogs should join other major subreddit in a blackout protesting Reddit's upcoming API changes. What do you think?

@reallifejoke That’s so gross. I honestly had no dog in this fight (lol) until I read this. Thank you for sharing! It’s extremely eye opening how often those with disabilities are just treated as an afterthought!

@sallyalder I’m so grateful to everyone who has taken the time to read my thought on why this sub should support the blackout and has thrown in their support! It’s easier to make a difference when we stand together!

@sallyalder As someone with an ‘invisible’ disability, who surely encounters less discriminatory behavior than those with apparent disabilities, I can assure you that being treated as an afterthought is the norm rather than the exception, unfortunately.

People generally really have an issue accommodating disabilities. Especially if they perceive it to have a negative effect on them personally.

@carterishere This is 100% true. I deal with the same thing all the time. Even if I didn’t have a service dog, I would support this blackout. Disabilities make life hard enough, as it is. Social media is a way to connect with others and find support. If disabled people can’t access online communities, it makes it a lot harder to find support from people who understand their struggles.

@carterishere
I can assure you that being treated as an afterthought is the norm rather than the exception, unfortunately.

And this is part of the reason considerations are being made. Turning the sub off also takes out the ability for community members with disabilities (including the blind as they currently can still access us here) to have accessible support for several days. While I know some understand, I also understand that being able to go two days without anonymous support can be privilege.

We are a helpline to a lot of vulnerable people. I am hoping that the tides will reverse on this issue and we don't need to make this decision.

@reallifejoke This seems like a good reason to me, I don't have any idea what a3rd party app might do for me, but I'd like to think I enjoy helping others. Sounds like they aren't thinking of others here.

I don't know if reddit has stock for sale, but if it does and you buy a few shares you have more pull and can compel them to listen.

@peipei I don't think they expect much money from the third party devs. The pricing is prohibitively expensive. They're trying to switch people to their app so they can make a bit more from it. A better move would be reasonable api pricing, imo.

@gohusu236 I am surprised this is a discussion in the first place.

One of the important functionalities that the 3rd party apps provide is services to people with disabilities. The native Reddit site and app are both atrocious for a community that deserves our support and not encounter issue after issue. By effectively killing off 3rd party apps Reddit is effectively soft-banning these persons from Reddit.

One of the most important jobs our beloved dogs do is enabling people with certain disabilities to participate in the world. It would be pure and utter hypocrisy if this subreddit doesn't join this struggle as it touches the heart of our symbiotic relationship with our dogs.

The mods know what the right decision is. It'll suck. It will. It's also the right thing to do.

@devonte As a service dog handler myself, I want to thank you for your support by recognizing the struggles that disabled people face. Service dogs do so much for their handlers and the bond that a handler has with their dog is incredible.

@snudge27 It’s my knowledge that Reddit is about to transition to being a publicly traded company, so to maximize profit potential going forward, they’re making changes to how the handle 3rd party Reddit browsers.

Essentially they’ve jacked up the prices for access to their API (essentially the data/code for all the content on the website) so astronomically that amateur and small-time browsers will not be able to afford to operate anymore. That will make it so that the only way to view Reddit on mobile is thru their 1st party app. Which is widely regarded as trash by most people (which is news to me because I didn’t even know 3rd party browsers existed for Reddit anyway, so this is truly all new information lmao).

Hopefully some of that makes sense I’m not closely following this myself.

@kamm
Which is widely regarded as trash by most people (which is news to me because I didn’t even know 3rd party browsers existed for Reddit anyway, so this is truly all new information lmao).

Try modding on it. It's fine for viewing and posting, but modding is horrible.

If there's a large post with hundreds of comments, something goes into the mod queue. You click on the post to learn the context and for some reason it doesn't link to the comment but the entire post and you have to find the comment to find the context.

Third party apps don't do stupid shit like that.

It gets mentioned, the admins basically say "it'll be fixed by the end of the year" except they're taking the third party apps now.

The first party app is basically unusable to anybody who mods a larger sub.

Oh, and you can't click links from the modqueue screen on the app. And if it's in a larger thread and you click it then you have to scan through hundreds of comment replies hoping to come across it to see if the link went to something against the rules or was spam.

@eront Oh definitely believe you! Once I learned about 3rd party apps I immediately noticed all the little ways that make the official app suck ass. I just didn’t have the awareness before and now I’ve been cursed with knowledge 😂

@kamm I use the first party app for modding so I don't mod from bed or while I'm out and about much because it's that punitive.

Another thing: The app isn't disability-friendly. Those who rely on screen readers such as those users and mods at r/blind will no longer be able to use Reddit at all.