PSA: Affordable grooming shears is just drop shipping razorline's products

levanthai

Someone in another comment clued me into this. Their 'custom shears they brought to market' appear to be just repackaged products from china. I suspect the majority are razorline or mister scissors, and can be gotten on aliexpress or alibaba for much lower prices, often as individual units vs a large lot.

Alibaba dragon shears

AGS dragon shears

Alibaba razorline jewel pet scissors

AGS 8 inch curve

Razorline plastic pet scissors

AGS gratwick scissors - interestingly 6.5 is out of stock when right now razorline is not producing that size. Hmm.

Mister scissors black titanium thinning shears which also come in pink (the other color AGS offers) in another listing

AGS edgy shears

I can't find some of their higher priced items (the macie pisa line) on alibaba so these might not be drop shipped. But the cheap stuff sure is.

Edit: Saying they're his own personal shear line he created, as they do here on their about me, when they're reselling another manufacturer's products at an obscene markup is dishonest. That's the part about this that bothers me.

The dragon shears they sell for 110 dollars retail for 22, and you can get a free sample from the manufacturer you only have to pay shipping for. The shipping for an item of that size from China to the US is generally about 10 dollars. The black titanium curved thinners that AGS wants 200 dollars for are 22 dollars plus 9 dollars shipping if you order one.

They make their business name on 'low markup'. That markup is insane. Even if you add in the 12 dollars it costs to sharpen them, that's a 400% increase in price.

@levanthai Every company does this…zolitta, new moon. They are also sold on shearsdirect and Amazon. But I do like AGS because at least Stephen Toth has his hand on every shear and they are sharpened before leaving with a guarantee/warranty. You can’t expect every shear company to have their own factory.

@levanthai You can file a complaint with the AG in your state as well as the state they're based out of. Provide the evidence that you did here as well as a direct link to their about us page on their website. Falsely representing a product as your own if fraud and the AG office doesn't mess around with it, and will pursue it if they feel rhats what they're doing.

(Edited due to fat fingers)

@levanthai Are you paying US shipping from affordable grooming shears? If so, they are not drop shipping, they are reselling or retailing. That's pretty common. Drop shipping means the retailer never sees the product. They have a listing but the product comes direct from the manufacturer. Very few places actually make the products they sell. But if they are retailers they should be getting the product and quality checking before they send it out. That's why they can charge more. It's still great you can find them cheaper but often if you buy from AliExpress you are not going to get refunds if the shears are damaged.

@imagebeastmarkbeast I bought two wide 30s from her and neither of them cut right. When I emailed customer service, they had me switch to texting instead, which was weird. Then they proceeded to have me send them photos and videos of the blades not working. Which I did. They tried to say my clipper was the issue. So I borrowed my coworkers clipper and sent them more videos. They still said that the blades were not the problem and wanted MORE videos and photos. I finally said enough is enough and that I wanted a full refund and would ship the blades back. They said no and that they would just send replacements. I never got them and I don’t have the energy to pursue it further. My sharpener fixed the blades but I would never purchase from them again, especially not something expensive like scissors or a clipper.

@thankfullness Saying they're his own personal shear line he created, as they do here on their about me, when they're reselling another manufacturer's products at an obscene markup is dishonest. That's the part about this that bothers me.

The dragon shears they sell for 110 dollars retail for 22, and you can get a free sample from the manufacturer you only have to pay shipping for. The shipping for an item of that size from China to the US is generally about 10 dollars. The black titanium curved thinners that AGS wants 200 dollars for are 22 dollars plus 9 dollars shipping if you order one.

They make their business name on 'low markup'. That markup is insane. Even if you add in the 12 dollars it costs to sharpen them, that's a 400% increase in price.

@levanthai I suspect that most shear makers are doing this. I mean have you seen some of the affordable geib shears lately? I’ve seen identical ones coming from China with out the branding. All they are doing is buying bulk shears, lazer printing logos on them, quality checking them (hopefully), and put a fresh edge on them. And then turn around and sell them to you with a “Warranty” at a massive mark up for profit. You have to spend at least $200 a pair to find higher quality shears made in house by a company.

Don’t waste your time with “affordable” shears if you plan on grooming for a while. You will run through them faster, you will constantly need them sharpened, your sharpener will hate you, and they will cause more damage to your wrist since they lose an edge so quickly and won’t run as smooth as a quality shear. I’ve spent $50 on shears and $500 on shears. You can just feel the difference in quality in your hand and it shows in the work if you know how to use them. Best bet is going to a show so you can pick up as many nice pairs as you can and find what fits your hand best. Buy once, cry once.