Neutering Cattle dogs

johnmartin

I was wondering y’all’s thoughts on neutering these dogs and if you guys have done it and at what age. I have 2 male cattle dogs and 99% of the time they are chill with each other but every so often they can get pretty aggressive with each other. One pees in the house sometimes and the other doesn’t. They are both 3 years old and I was just wondering what your thoughts are on this and kind of what to expect recovery wise and how much they change. Do they get more cuddly? One of them is really smart but he actively does not listen, I know he understands, he can learn a new trick in 5 repetitions. Is this stubbornness something that will get a bit better? Thanks for all the feedback I really appreciate it.

@johnmartin We just had an intact male come through rescue. He was 2-3 years old, marked in the house, had aggression issues with people and other dogs.

By 3 weeks after neutering he was a different dog. Marking stopped, nipping stopped, and he started playing with my dogs.

Obviously every situation is different, but neutering will change testosterone levels no matter the dog’s age, so it’s very likely you’ll see some improvement.

Back