Neighbors turned yard into Sniffspot

@dme Yea totally, will drop by tonight and be extra friendly! I don’t want to get them in trouble but having been at many sniffspots in the past I’d be annoyed if I paid good money for it and my crazy dog was losing his marbles on the other side of the fence. Just really no fun for anybody!

@calen I would report the fence height to sniffspot. 2.5 feet is unacceptable and dangerous, and they're just trying to make an easy buck with no forethought or responsibility.

Even if you didn't have a dog, what if you were outside gardening one day and some random person's reactive dog who wasn't people-friendly hopped the fence and attacked you?

Sniffspot should require fencing of a minimum height and there's no way these college kids are considering the liability they risk by doing this. I'd probably even tell their landlord since they are the ones who would be named in a lawsuit.

Listen, I love dogs and I'm fine with people doing whatever, but they should be putting up a secure 6 foot privacy fence before opening their yard up to strange dogs.

@jasonmcross I don't think sniff spot has any fence guidelines, as I've been to sniff spots that have no fences at all. I live in a more rural area so people will register large plots of land and trails.

@calen I'd suggest just talking to them about it. If they have a reactive dog, chances are they'll be sympathetic. I'd also ask them to let you know when their yard will be rented out in advance so you can prepare.

@amanda1701 Yes you’re so right, they keep to themselves so we don’t speak much but I’ll knock on their door this evening. At a minimum a text when they have a booking would be so helpful!

@calen They are foolish to do this since reactive dogs will fence fight with yours and they will get bad reviews because other dogs (yours) will be in view. The problem will probably take care of itself in that way when they stop getting bookings! Frustrating for you

@calen Most people use sniffspot because they have reactive dogs, so once the customers realize you have a barking dog on the other side of the fence they’ll leave reviews saying so to warn others and it will keep a lot of people away.

@calen The other thing is - as renters they are probably not allowed to do this. Sniffspot would not be ok with it without property OWNER permission. I say just report them to sniffspot

@itsdemtitans We are also renters, we signed a long lease so we’re here for awhile. we’d love to invest in a wood privacy fence but can’t spend the money on a place we don’t own :(

@calen I might speak with the landlord and see if they will split the cost. It will provide you with such a better quality of life with a reactive dog. And your privacy! Especially if you are there for a long time, it might be worth it.

@itsdemtitans Totally! We’ve thought about it but our yard is big and we live in a super HCOL area so I think it would be out of budget for now. Trying to save money to buy a place and it’s not easy hahah

@calen You can look into fences you can take with you or sell when moving and especially wood fences won’t last forever.

Something like this (German shop don’t know how that will be called in English but with pictures). Normally you have a Metal part that goes into the ground (like this). You than put wooden posts in the metal thing and put the panels between the posts. It can be completely removed when you move out.

Depending on how reactive your dog is I would talk to your neighbors that they tell you when others are using it and use it as training opportunity. Starting on the other side of your garden you can observe the dogs with your dog or have a engage/disengage game. But I can totally understand to have the yard as a safe space or it being to hard for your dog.

@calen I mean, probably unpopular opinion here but this could actually be a good desensitization experience for your dog if handled right (would take a lot of effort, to be fair). Moving into a multistory apartment complex was, counterintuitively, the best thing that happened for my reactive dog - took a lot of patience and planning and he definitely gained a few pounds from all the high-value treats during every.single.potty break, but he eventually started to realize that other dogs are everywhere all the time and it's actually ok. We did a lot of dodging off into weird bushes to stay outside of trigger range, but his resilience and threshold changed SO much for the better over that year and a half.

For your backyard, though, definitely recommend shoring up that fence - some dogs will sail right over a 4 ft fence, and you may not always have a lot of warning when New Dog #2345 bolts into the yard. Maybe approach the neighbors and see if they're willing to help, since it'll reduce their potential legal exposure as well.