My neighbour keeps making snide comments about my pup and I just want to tell him to f*** off

mickeyroe

I was caring my 6mo pup from the car to my doorstep in my arms today when my neighbour saw me and said - “oh is he too lazy to walk?” I told him the reason I am carrying him is because he had an operation on his paw removing a broken nail. I would just ignore this comment but this is not the first time this particular neighbour makes snide comments and I noticed this really brings me down…once he came over asking for my help with something and I had my pup on a leash next to me (training to greet visitors politely). Few times my pup managed to politely sniff and stay around, few times he jumped up, few times when I asked him to sit and he sat nicely. However then my neighbours started giving the attention and my pup ignored my sit command so my neighbour said - “does he ever sit? Are you planning to train him? Maybe you should take him to training classes” This was said with a smile but kind of just in a weird way, and I didn’t really reply back anything at the time because I was a bit shell shocked and didn’t process that it was actually quite rude…there were plenty of other comments he made that it’s just way too much to include it all here. anyways sorry for a long post…I just feel like some of these comments really bring me down because I’m putting so much effort into training my pup and I also know that he is still a pup and he will learn as he matures…in the meantime I just want to tell anyone who makes comments about my pup to fuck off 🤣

@mickeyroe I am gonna go out on a limb here and guess that you are a younger woman? I feel like 99% of the rude ùnsolicited comments I get about my dog are from older dudes. They can be so entitled and patronizing, and dog training is just one of those topics they love to chime in on. My bf doesn't ever get comments like that while out with the dog. Recognizing that it's some weird misogyny thing helps me meet it with a frosty glare and not take it personally.

@xsmbthu3hoa Ohhhh I’ve never thought about it in this way…we are both similar age in our thirties (he is few years younger), I think it’s more of a case he is an asshole but also not a dog person and never had dogs and would never consider one so also has no idea what he is talking about (probably only has ideas of how the dogs should behave from movies). But I agree with your point - I don’t think my male friends get as many rude comments about them and their dogs

@xsmbthu3hoa Omg, 100 % this. Somehow I get all the "helpful guidance" on literally everything puppy related from family, friends, random neighbours, strangers in the park. But my uncle can shove their dog's nose in the poo as a teaching measure and no one has anything to say. I'm so done with this.

@bereanone I’ve stopped walking my dog in the neighbourhood because of the amount of ‘advice’ I was getting from older guys. Someone told me what to feed my dog completely out of nowhere. Since I take my pup on a short drive to a park, I’ve had much less as everyone keeps to themselves for the most part

Back