just trying to find dog food with no chicken

angiasky89

just trying to make a switch from chicken to beef to see if it makes my dogs allergies any better, but all dog food i find that’s “recommended” that is a beef flavor still has chicken!?

any dogs out there chicken free? what do u feed them?

@angiasky89 Purina pro plan sensitive skin and stomach, lamb and rice and salmon and rice both don't have chicken. As well, hills Lamb and Rice does not include chicken protein (chicken fat and chicken liver flavor are not chicken protein sources).

However, remember that OTC diets are notorious for having cross contamination despite what's on The ingredient list. I'd say Purina, Royal Canin, and hills are less likely for this to happen, but the other way to rule out food allergies is to put them on a prescription novel protein diet or hydrolyzed diet.

@angiasky89 So the issue is that that’s not an effective way to diagnose a food allergy. Basically all retail diets have cross contamination of ingredients, so you will need to ask your vet about an 8-12 week elimination diet with a prescription food.

In the meantime you can try pro plan sensitive skin and stomach lamb or salmon, or hills pollock and insect. Both are backed by science though neither can guarantee no cross contamination

You definitely do not want to end up on a boutique diet that isn’t backed by expertise or research

https://www.reddit.com/r/DogFood/wiki/index/allergies

@angiasky89 I am using Purina Pro Plan Sensitive Skin and Stomach Lamb and Oatmeal with my Mini American Shepherd ( who has a full Australian Shepherd as a sire) who definitely reacts in both her skin and digestive system to chicken protein. Her skin cleared up and her bowels firmed up within 3 weeks after switching. I’m sticking with this food going forward for her.

@angiasky89 I have my almost 7 month old pitty cane corso mix on Purina ProPlan Lamb and Rice as she's also sensitive to chicken. So far so good. We had her on Inukshuk Marine for a while, but she smelled too fishy, so we switched to lamb (she smells MUCH better now lol)