Trying to decide if I should put my lab mix (f/8) with anxiety down

@ttobe2 Maybe you should try a different antidepressants just to see if it makes a difference.

Like switch from prozac to Zoloft.

I've got an anxious dog with aggression issues. I tried Prozac and he was kinda weird on it.

Later I tried trazodone for flying and it seemed to help all his anxiety overall and decreased some aggression. So now I give him trazodone anytime I expect a stressful event for him.

Zoloft is also given to dogs too and is a good anxiety treatment. I'd try Zoloft first since trazodone causes drowsiness.

@ttobe2 It concerns me a lot that she cries until you figure out what she wants. I think you have the very best of intentions but you're doing her a disservice by treating her like your "first baby" instead of a dog. We all want calm and confident dogs and when you baby and comfort her for crying and fussing, it's reinforcing her behavior while also confusing her and probably causing her other behavior issues. You are not correcting her so it's not going to lead to any progress. It sounds like she gets a lot of exercise so when you say he says you're making her that way, it sounds like that's what he's referring to. Like when she cries at inappropriate times, we could be telling her to knock it off and making sure that she does. Tell her to be quiet and go lay down, don't "comfort" her when there is nothing actually really wrong and has already had all of her needs met. You're seeing it as she needs help, but it sounds like she's getting a bit spoiled and her behavior is actually just pretty naughty.

I would try kenneling her at night in a just big enough kennel with some blankets and a lot of white noise, like a fan and a radio. A frozen stuffed kong or lick mat can be helpful but I board dogs and fan+country radio+small comfy cave after a good play session is the magic combination for anxious dogs. Once she behaves through the night, then reopen her privileges of nighttime freedom.

There is a really cool Facebook group called canine enrichment that you might like, they have a ton of cool ideas for mental and physical stimulation.

@ttobe2 Please post this on r/reactivedogs. I'm also an owner of a reactive dog and that subreddit is an incredibly helpful, encouraging community that can provide a lot of great advice and ideas on how to help your dog.

That being said, what motivates your dog? Food? Treats? Play time? Toys? Once you know what motivates them, you can use that to do some really great training with them that can really help reduce anxiety and aggression.

@ttobe2 It sounds like your husband has a gaming addiction. Is he willing to take your dog out on walks three times a day? Is she able to be walked with her anxiety issues?

If you’re set on getting rid of her, I would first exhaust any rescues in the area that might be willing to take in a high needs dog. I feel like if she received the right amount of training, and was placed in the right home (no small children or other pets), she would be fine.

@selahsmommy18 She goes on a medium walk four times a day and then one longer walk at night. He does walk them right before he gets on the play so I know it’s not a potty thing.

There’s not a rescue nearby that would take her because of her aggressive past. Unfortunately it’s really difficult to find that ideal home because not many people are looking to adopt adult dogs let alone problematic adult dogs.

@ttobe2 Hmm, yeah that is really really tough. I’m so sorry you’re in this predicament, it’s obvious you care about your dog a lot and want what’s best for her.

I’ve been in a similar situation. My pup of 4 years didn’t take well to our newborn. We gave him a lot of chances but eventually the situation became unsafe so we rehomed him. He lives with my mother in law now and we visit him often.

What’s so difficult about these sort of situations is feeling like you’ve failed as a dog owner. I hope you can come to some amount of peace with whatever decision you decide on, and know that you tried your best even when life dealt you a shit card. Good luck.

@ttobe2 Go outwards then to find a rescue. Look on facebook at rescue resources, copy and paste your post and send the pages messages. They know people.

@destin19 I had a problematic (dog aggressive) dog when I was in high school. My dad decided he was going to shoot her in the head so I naturally panicked and messaged a bunch of rescues about her online- all the good AND all the bad and the one that agreed to take her was in Canada. I am in the southern U.S. and they even had their own team of people who were able to transport. Don’t give up based off of location! It’s admirable the lengths some people will go to, find those people!

@lucia91 Yay! I know here some people travelled 3 1/2 hours to go pick up a stray and her puppies. And more recently they collaborated to go to KY to rescue some cats. Thats awesome you were able to get your dog elsewhere.

@destin19 Yes it was! She was super sweet she just would snap with other dogs, unfortunately. And me being 16 at the time, it was a godsend having people willing to come help because I couldn’t travel that far. I wasn’t able to get in contact with the current owner but the rescue told me she went to a couple without kids and she’d be an only dog. Now that I’m 23 I try to help where I can too because it just means so much to the people who are put in a tough spot (plus helping dogs!)

@ttobe2 It sounds to me like she may be worse more recently because of you having less time to give her. Which is in no way your fault. Your husband really should step up and help with her more, but I understand the chances of that are probably slim.

Could you try crate training her? We have a dog with anxiety and he absolutely loved going to his crate each night. If you're anything like me it feels wrong and cruel but it gives them a safe environment to go to where only good things happen like treats, kongs, and toys. It would give you a much needed break and her a safe, peaceful, stimulating place. Just never ever use it as a punishment, and accept that there will be a period of adjustment. Make sure there are blankets to nest in and for our pup we covered the outside with a blanket because he really liked hiding and so it made it feel like a cozy little cave that no one could attack him in.

This must be heartbreaking and I'm so sorry. I hope you can find a solution that works for you and your family.

@mrchat33 Honestly I’m sure she could use more but she does go on a walk every four hours max and I try to get her to my friends backyard at least once a week to run around with her ball. During the summertime she obviously gets more exercise but she doesn’t seem to like the cold either now that she’s getting older. We really do try our best on the exercise front because we do Believe in the phrase a tired dog is a happy dog.

@ttobe2 I am going to second trying a crate. It makes them feel safe and its their den. You can try covering half of it w a blanket. It also sounds like something may be physically wrong. Could she have a uti?

As far as attacking other dog in scuffles without blood, thats somewhat common among dog roommates imo, especially if the same gender.

You could just try the crate and get abdomen checked and for uti before euthenizing. And in meantime put out feelers for a rescue. Some specialize in elderly dogs and 8 for a lab is getting up there. She could act completely different in a different home and be someones perfect pet and maybe even be able to be taken off anxiety meds.

I dont know your dog but its possible that a no kill shelter might still might be a good option if everything else is exhausted.

Our home is quiet and we have lots of time. So something like our home without children may be a great fit. We are full though.

Eta. One last thing. I adopted an older lab from a high kill shelter on D day. I called at 0700 and told them I was coming to get. He was very stressed out and although lots of rescues, they rejected him bc of his demeanor and he looked mean. Welp, no. We got his thyroid in line and he was the best dog Ever. Everyone knew and loved him, sort if a local celebrity in his own right. He had a very good life travelling, camping and much loved. Js if it comes down to it.

And your husband is putting everything on you.

@ttobe2 Everyone else has mentioned the husband issue here, so I won’t keep repeating it.

I have an anxious and animal aggressive GSD mix, and crate training has helped greatly. Would you consider getting a crate for her, or a room that’s just for her? The adjustment period can be a process of a lot of crying, but it helps anxious dogs to have a space where they can always go to be left alone. If our dog gets overstimulated or scared she goes in her crate by herself to calm down. It’s also really nice to not have to worry about her going after one of our cats while I’m not home, because I know exactly where she is. I also saw your comment about how you have to make sure your dog is alone if you want to give her food enrichment because she can get aggressive — a crate is fantastic for that because you can just shut the door while they work on a Kong or whatever. I really recommend it for your own anxiety as much as hers.

Something that’s also helped me with dealing with our dog is joining reactive and aggressive dog support groups (I’m in several on facebook, but I’m certain there are communities for it on any social media.) There’s lots of training advice, enrichment tips, and it can just really make you feel better to know you are not the only person in the world dealing with this. I really hope things turn around for you and your dog.

@ttobe2 Along with this dog needing more exercise- it sounds like she also needs a trainer to help with her confidence and dealing with other dogs. An investment that I really wish was done years earlier to make your life easier. Also - not a huge fan of your vet who isn’t helping you find better resources when a lot of this is behavioral and your dog - which sounds like to me - very scared and confused and reactive.

@ttobe2 Setting aside the relationship issues in your post for the moment, it sounds to me like this may have a medical cause. It can be tough to tell with am already anxious dog, but an abrupt behavior change in an older dog with no obvious trigger is very likely medical. I would definitely ask your vet about Cushing's diagnostics before you make any other decisions.