Reactive dogs aren’t trying to give you a hard time they’re having a hard time

@ruzou I needed this. I love my dog more than anything, but it can get really frustrating on our walks when we see another dog. It seems like everyone in the neighborhood has one, and even though I scan the street the whole time, we still inevitable run into another dog. My issue is getting him out of that situation. He loses all control and he’s escaped his harness before. Sometimes I have to pick him up but I don’t know if that causes more damage. He doesn’t settle until I drag him away or pick him up, and it makes me feel like such a bad dog owner. I see other comments about getting over those feelings and I couldn’t agree more. He’s not doing it to embarrass me, this issue isn’t about my human emotions and recognizing that is now a priority for me.

@ruzou This saying has completely changed my entire view on my dog’s reactivity. I repeat it to myself every single time she has a bad day, big reaction, etc and it changes my thoughts from frustration to empathy. Reframing my mindset has helped our relationship so much!

@ruzou I am a reactive dog (lol) I have anxiety depression ptsd bpd and more. It's like a dog version of me, getting overwhelmed and stressed in certain situations. That's a great way of putting it, thanks OP :)

@ruzou E-collar has saved my reactive German Shepherd countless times. Sure it can be abused, but if used correctly it's an invaluable tool. No amount of positive only training works with my dog. I've spent countless hours and over $15 on training, several board and trains, so I know.

My dog and I are in a good place now. I've learned from this sub (and trainers) I have a reactive dog. Sometimes I need to muzzle him outdoors. But when we go outside I always have an e-collar on him. It's so low I can barely feel it. And it's a communication device, not punishment. Honestly, it's the best tool we have IF USED CORRECTLY.

IMO, reading posts on here for several years people should embrace modern tools. Positive re-enforcement doesn't work all the time. Check Robert Cabral on Youtube among others.

@dolf111 same here - i have a reactive aussie and having an e-collar has given me so much peace of mind. obviously i’d rather use positive reinforcement but it simply didn’t work on him. and we keep the setting low. it’s not supposed to hurt him. it’s just supposed to break his focus if he gets fixated on another dog.

@eve_marie They were shocking the dog w an ecollar for just fixating/looking at us. Not giving the dog an alternate behavior to preform and the dog literally jumped up so it was a very harsh overcorrection and obviously was too high.