I hate it when people tell me what my dog is allowed to do

@nrnowlinma Service dogs don't get trained with treats? Don't tell my two that. A ton of service dogs get trained with treats. I don't know what your friend is on, but it must be some good stuff! Both my boys get treats. Will they work without them sure! Is training them easier with them, absolutely! Why wouldn't you use every tool in your toolbox to your advantage?

@jpeltier17 Nha, it is easier to keep hammering the screw in while the screwdriver is next to you :p

Yeah she never trains her service dogs with treats. All service dogs also stay her property at all times and she will take them back if she wants too.
I'm still confused on how she became a name tbh.
I decided not to work with her when I was looking for a male fit to my female and I would have to give off my dog to her for a month for training to see if the pups could have potential and every potential pup I had to give away to her.
Which could have been the entire nest.
But I had to pay 500 euro for the month training and then another 450 for the covering.
And then not even getting first choice (so to speak) on the nest my dog gave birth too?
I might have made mistakes in my life and be used.... but this went too far for me.
To... you know... be then told I do not care about people who need service dogs.

@nrnowlinma I don't get people like this at all... I used to have the neighborhood "dog trainer" give me advice ALL the time, meanwhile his off leash dog would not listen. Eventually, it just became "I don't remember asking for your opinion. I'm good thanks!" and walking off.

I was on the trails yesterday and there were so many happy pups! It's really not hard to ask "are they friendly?" "are they ok to get pets?" And if it's a yes, just let the dog decide. That way when the tiny pups come flying into you it's all luv and kisses!

@josephl Yeah indeed.
Since we moved in here a year ago more people have started getting their dog off leash here since I do it.
But I know my dogs. My oldest sticks to my leg. Even when I tell her to go take a run she prefers to stay heeled.
My youngest, he is 7 months, I understand him sometimes setting a foot too far. But if I can call him back while he is 2 metre away from a pigeon he is stalking, I'm pretty sure I have a good grasp on him.
+ I always leash when other dogs come. Because I know my dogs. I trust them. Since last year I do not trust any other dog out there. And owners even less.
Until I talk to them and learn they are decent.

I visited my new pup last week and one of the female dogs there was also not a big fan of strangers. But she liked me, but again, I approach dogs from below with open hand... now I was there with 2 other people visiting the pups. Nobody else could touch that dog but for some reason people always want to touch the dog that doesn't want to be touched.

To me they are living creatures so they also should get to decide if they want to be touched or not.

@nrnowlinma I’m tired of the off lease dog who comes charging across the street towards my leashed dog who was rescued from a terrible situation and doesn’t like to be confronted like that. I also hate the “he just wants to play” excuse I hear from all of them. Just happened again this morning.

Raise your dog anyway you want but please respect others.

@imagebeastmarkbeast Ugh no....
You always ask if the other dog is ok with meeting....
Fine I know my dogs are sweet but I will never know how the other dogs will react.
I have seen dogs suddenly launch forward in their harnass and my little boy jumps back.
Like... can't you keep your behemoth under control?

And don't let your dog off leash unless there is an instant recall. Crossing the street - danger. Launching at an unknown dog - danger. A dog with a history who could get a flashback - danger....

Just want to play....
Ok... mine does not so keep your mutt at heel.

No off leash unless there is society behaviour.
My dogs are perfect off leash, regardless I will leash them when passing other dogs. I will ask if they can meet if the answer is no, I stand aside.
And if Z is in heat she gets the yellow ribbon on her leash instantly. People here defo stay away then.

@nrnowlinma Exactly. I have a BMC but this was a Rottweiler that was twice her size. I didn't know if was going to attack her or lick her. Scary situation. I kept kicking at it to keep away as my dog was showing fear.

@imagebeastmarkbeast A dog in fear might indeed bite and then your dog is the one is problem.
Yeah.... know the stories and it happens way to often.
Glad your dog was ok and you managed to keep that rottweiler away.

I can relate to this. My leashed dog, a rescue with high anxiety, was attacked by an unleashed dog while the owner called out "she's just playing". The dog was NOT playing, had one of my dog's rear legs in her mouth and was furiously pulling and twisting it. The "best" part was that the dog was attached to a very long lead but the owner was not holding it b/c he was trying to train the dog to walk off-lead. But he had zero control of the dog on-lead. This was a very large, very reactive German Shephard. So yeah, people need to be respectful of others and be responsible with their dogs.

@ylime They don't come to you? Having a dog seems to be the same as having a mark above your head with: Talk to me. I love it!

(Although I am admitting.... peaceful week so far. We have covid so we are avoiding everybody during.... well short but needed walks)

@nrnowlinma At first I was like WHOA… but then I opened up myself to understanding what you mean. My dogs hind legs shake a lot and are starting to collapse. I was in a store one day when a lady approached him and wanted to pet him (he stiffens if people approach head on). She saw his hind legs shaking and said, “Oh, he must be anxious.” Hmm, okay… project much?

Then, when I took him to the groomers my dog stops dead in his tracks when he gets to the door and begins shaking all over… only in this scenario. Both the groomer and I noticed and I commented that he may just be getting used to her (he had a groomer he loved for years and would never react the same way). Although she’s nice something was telling me his reaction is quite unusual. She then said, “Well, when you leave he’s fine and no longer nervous or shaking. He must be picking it up from you.” … -_- … I didn’t have a chance to say he never expressed this with his last groomer even early on.

I get that people “should” stop “shoulding” all over themselves but also people can be less projectile while at it.

@imagebeastmarkbeast Yeah idd....

People seem to see a behaviour of your dog and instantly know what, who, where, etc.
Hind leg shaking I would think older age. Trembling all over anxious.... but even that I can not know without knowing the actual dog. My first dog, a pincher, used to tremble so much she could make a milkshake.
It was pure out of excitement she did that. That dog was as confident as could be. Even at the vet she would be licking the vet while receiving her shots against her disease.
So without knowing the dog, people should be able to ask questions.... not make assumptions.

N once jumped so far up and back in the store that he bumped into other people. He did that because a kid came running from around the corner.
Instant reaction was: He doesn't like kids does he?
And I just dead off answered: He is a 6 month old puppy in fear phase. It is normal, natural behaviour when a screaming child runs in a store suddenly that he gets a fright.

Just as my neighbour now ruined his bravery of the hallway. (Sorry still furious about my neighbour his behaviour lately because it is ruining my pup his behaviour)

And that groomer... ok sure dogs feel indeed what their owners feel but my first thought there was to go carefully to the dog, lower at a distance and let the dog come to me to see why he is shaking all over. While asking the owner if this is normal....
I would think if you work with animals your concern would be... the wellbeing of the animals....

@nrnowlinma As long as they are loved and well cared for, they should mind their own pets and keep the cr** to themselves. Cheers to everyone minding their manners!

@nrnowlinma I mean I don't talk to peoplr who want to project on my dog. Absolutely I welcome people compliments my dog
However we live in a world where people love to scapegoat. They look for someone or something to pick on. I am not going to let anyone target ny dog .

@ylime Bingo....
People like to trash to make themself feel better alot of times.
And here I got the rule very simple.... hurt my dogs in any way, and you deal with me.
I have seen/heard of people who grab strangers their dog in the neck for example and their owner is then agitated.
I think if I ever see someone grab my dog for no reason, and they hurt my dog.... I will give them hell.

I have never raised my hand to my dogs or grabbed them by their scurf. When I am angry I raise my hand to hit the floor or my thigh but never to my dogs.
The only moment I remember hurting a dog is when she tried to attack my dogs and I kicked her off. (Was this huge american pittbull against my small pincher. Dog broke loose and raced across the street to attack my dog....I kicked her to keep her off. And that saved my dog because 2 weeks later that dog had killed a daschund and was put down)

@nrnowlinma Just on the topic of your title. It’s called Society where there are rules and regulations. A democracy where the majority came the agreement where we all have to follow what someone tells us what to do. So it’s a hump your just gonna have to grow up and get over

@mak123 Hmhm...
If I say my dog is allowed on the bed and the guy across the street says he is not.

Who the hell do you think has the last word?

My dogs can fit in society on
1. Not attacking or bothering other dogs.
2. Not approaching other dogs.
3. Not biting people
4. No bothering people

Other then that I don't give a hoot about what society says my dog is allowed to do and not to do.

If you read more then just the title, you would have read me writing that.

Back