I feel bad putting dogs up that frustrate me

kate22

This is happening currently. I had a doodle come in at about 9 maybe before that hasn’t been groomed since August. Sani entirely matted back of elbows/hock matted and part of the tail. Everything else is fine. I started dematting at 10ish felt like I was going to faint so I took my break early. Got him back out finished prework, bathed and started to dry. But the dog is TERRIBLE for the dryer and has SO MUCH HAIR. I started getting really frustrated so I knew it was time to put the dog up. I feel bad though because it’s now 1:20 and I’m not even halfway done and he’s been here since 9. The owner called at 12 thankfully my boss picked up and explained to her how long it’s been since he’s been here, it’s a lot of work, etc. I just feel bad because at this point the dog won’t be done until like 3 because I’m doing a haircut in between the dog that will take me maybe 45 minutes. I hate leaving dogs here this long but man it’s been a day. My salon does quote 4-5 hours but man 😭 ETA: the dog was only matted in the areas I stated. The owner is now on an every few week schedule. He was a terrible boy but we made it out alive.

@kate22 Consider that dematting is too stressful for a dog. It is completely the result of owner neglect. So you can tell the owner that you have to clip the dog closely, and they can begin brushing, combing, and detangling fresh from now. But you will never demat again. Or say that 5 minutes is the limit because it's cruel to the dog. If your salon is asking you to do this, they are wrong. Mats come off great with a #10 blade.

@josh0302 I should say. I shaved the sani matting. But doing actual dematting in the hocks and elbows. But the dog already has behavioral issues on top of this and man I’m tired

@kate22 If the dog has behavior issues, then dematting should not be done. It is the owners job to maintain the coat. It is our job to maintain the cut. If they don't do their job, we can't do ours. Especially when it's been 7 months between grooms. Shave what you have to. If the owners don't like it 🤷‍♀️. You're doing what is in the best interest of their dog. Their vanity of having a long, fluffy dog means absolutely nothing when matting is involved.

@sydneysteve Personally if the elbows, Sani, are very matted there's a high likelihood the ears head and feet have matting too. From August til now is a long time. There's a good chance they won't come back for awhile and the dog will rematt. Personally I'd explain to them why the dog needs what it needs

@josh0302 Yes to the clip BUT - never let the customer believe it’s easier. It hurts to put a blade in between skin and a mat. And if the dog is old, his skin is loose and can get fed into the blade. We’ve all picked at a mat a hair at a time, trying not to hurt them. I really have called people out on this. Last week a customer came in with her cockapoo who hasn’t been here in so long I thought she died. Especially since about six months ago the same woman got a BERNIEDOODLE puppy. That dog has been here four times. 🤬Believe me I brought that to her. Her face was bright red. I really don’t think she knew it had been six months, but God don’t you touch your dog? It’s impossible not to feel the mats, so I don’t feel badly at all for embarrassing her. Too bad. Take care of your dog, you ass.

@stonney66 Yes, you are absolutely right, it's hard enough to safely clip / shave off mats. I should never have implied it was easy. And I hope owners know that trying to scissor off mats is the most dangerous of all.

@josh0302 Oooo I just shuddered thinking of customers and scissors. My MIL cut the tip of her shih tzu’s tail off thinking it was a mat. I could have cried. Why????

And I certainly wasn’t sending one bit of shade your way. I’ve done those jobs and idk about you, but I want to scissor and shape it! If for nothing else, just to balance out those skinny ass legs they all have. I love scissoring the most and dematting the least. Just like all of us. (Except my next favorite is bathing - I love getting their face squeaky clean and kissable 😜✌️

@kate22 I don’t understand how you can get a high maintenance dog like a doodle or poodle etc, and not brush them daily, plus regular groom appointments for trims etc.

The dogs are MISERABLE when they are matted, and it looks so painful. Their skin underneath gets so red and irritated and are prone to a variety of infections like fungal.

Wish people would buy breeds that they can afford and fit their lifestyle, or just research their care needs. Or better yet, just don’t get a dog.

@laird I may edit my post for better clarity. They used to groom the dog at home ( barely ) BUT no matting except the areas I stated ! But bc they groom at home and don’t know how to properly that’s most likely why he’s as bad as he was. She’s on a constant schedule with me now. Edit: when dogs do come in matted/poor condition they have to reschedule and we do speciality baths for what the dog needs. So like matted ? We will shave it and then they need a medicated bath and then on

@laird Yes, I’ve taken pics of the matted hair “opened” on the back and the layer of sloughed of skin that couldn’t get free. When they get wet all that fungal growth is inevitable- no light and no air 🤷🏻‍♀️