I don’t want to use puppy pads, but I feel I’m left with no choice…

@tropicalbaby If you don’t mind my asking, did you do anything to de-condition the behaviour that anything soft under foot was a puppy pad?

My Pomsky came to us puppy pad trained by the breeder, seemed amazing at the time, but similarly he thinks any carpet/rug/doormat is fair game.

@admiral_kang It’s a problem. But it can also be a problem with a dog that never used pads. My current one used a pad for like three days then started tearing them up. She’s perfectly housebroken at my house, but when I went to my sister’s she pooped in their carpet. Carpet does not equal grass but I get they feel the same.

@tropicalbaby Yeah same, if you have a place outside he can go pee without the risk of getting parvo etc. i dont see why you need a pee pad, itll stink up the place all the same and it just delays the association of outside = potty time.

@pandaman I had one it was unbelievably messy and smelly. It has a tray that you pulled out to empty. But the grass smelled like dog pee immediately after being changed out. So gross I wouldn’t recommend it, much more trouble than it was worth.

@pandaman Bought two of these and trained my puppy on these starting at 8 weeks to now 16. He picked up on it very quickly. Takes a lot is consistency and everyone in the household needs to be on the same page.

@ancientof Interestingly enough - I moved my pup from a house with a doggy door to an apartment and had to retrain her. I went the grass patch route and she didn’t use it.

I’ve kept it around even though she’s trained and she’ll actually use it occasionally specifically because it’s grass. (Very nice since it’s -10 degrees here!)

So it wasn’t particularly helpful for training but has been nice to have once she figured it out haha. I need to order fresh grass.

@pandaman Get on a puppy schedule.

Take out every hour (or start with 30
Minutes if your pups not making it an hour) and only offer water 10/15 minutes before going out.

It’s not about watching like a hawk to catch her it’s about being proactive in your management and taking out before peeing is urgent.

This is why a schedule is so helpful, it takes the guessing out of the game.

At night we even take out twice a night to start for a quick pee and work your way down to one and then none.

Keep a log next to the door . You want to be having 0 accidents. Having a log will help you actually see if there any progress being made and when/where accidents are so you can find the pattern and come up with a better management plan.

If not actively watching or playing put in playpen or crate

@jakefromsf Great advice and that which I’m already following.

Every hour and 15 minutes after eating drinking. I get up 3 times throughout the night for her currently.

I’ve got a log and my best day is 3 accidents, all when I wasn’t present (I gotta go too you know!) and sometimes it’s when my wife / kids are watching… and missing.

So basically the advice is to work when she’s sleeping and just default back to puppy plan when she’s awake then? As there’s no other best plan of action, right? 🙃

@pandaman Sound like your on track & just need more time to pass for puppy to mature and get better bladder control.

Keep up the good work as draining as these little guys can be they’re worth stickin it out