I don’t want to use puppy pads, but I feel I’m left with no choice…

@pandaman Do you have a deck? My husband put sliding gates on both sides of the deck, and that became an acceptable puppy pee/play area. He couldn't get out to the yard and potentially lost or into bad things, but still got to play and pee outside. (I know it may be a little cold now, but when its warmer it could give you some uninterrupted time).

@pandaman We also got a Berner this week, but on Monday! I’ve had a lot of success with potty training now that we’ve begun crate training. It’s hard to keep track especially with a kid running around too, but we’ve reduced the number of accidents a day from 10+ to only 1 or 2.

@pandaman Our dog just ate them so it was never an option. What was great for us was a bell. We put a bell on the door and would bring it every time we went outside. Soon she got that big she rang the bell we would let her out. That helped with when she would be by the door but I wouldn’t see her. She trained up very fast!

@pandaman Are you crate training? I’m not a believer that crate training is the be all end all, but I’d do that before I used a puppy pad or grass patch which literally teaches the dog your house is the bathroom.

@pandaman Have you tried tethering? You keep her leashed, and tie the leash to your belt. It sounds restrictive but actually gives you so much more freedom. It helps prevent those accidents where they wander off and 30 (very quiet) seconds go by and you find they’ve peed/pooped.

@pandaman Accidents WILL happen and keep on happening puppy pads or no. At that age you basically have to keep them outside if you dont want accidents which is not feasible. From reading your comments it looks like youre doing a fine job. Basically accidents will stop happening when his bladder develops more, until then you just have to stop the ones you can.

@funmilayo This subreddit goes crazy about potty pads... so many people use them and successfully potty train their dog. As long as you have a plan to remove them it's totally fine.

Oh well, people can stay mad I guess.

@funmilayo Oh ok, that’s super helpful. Don’t overthink - just do… then live with any consequences that may arise because you didn’t weigh up the options prior to making any decisions.

@pandaman Just a heads up - a grown Bernese Mountain dog is going to produce a LOT more urine than a small dog.

It’s one thing to make a choice about pee pads if you have a dog that “piddles”, but it’s going to get really gross to have a dog that large peeing inside your home. (Not that I am saying you are gross - just that I think you may under-estimate how nasty it could get)

@pandaman I don’t agree with that asshat but I think the consensus here is that going the pads route, which many of us have done, will only make your path harder.

@pandaman I’m going through the same thing. 4 month old puppy is peeing upwards of 20x a day. More if you include all the times in the crate and around the house.

I’ve never had a puppy pee this much. We’ve taken her in for testing and it all came back negative but it’s so tough taking her out every 15 min or so. Weird bc she sleeps 8+ hrs a night with no issues.