I don’t know how to tell people [kindly] not to touch or command my dog at the park

@manaf It blows my mind that if the concept was that obvious, it could be that adult explained. All I’ve seen so far from people is “it’s rude” .

@doctrineofgabriel That’s not the issue. You have the narrowest window into my life and decided to white knight for kids I don’t have nor want. Telling someone that they would raise a psychopath is unhinged.

@aba1612 I do correct other dogs when they jump on me, and after a couple of mounting to my extremely shy dog I intervine because my dog is stressed, and a dog who is stressed can jump from stress to defensive and aggressive, if you are not correcting your dog then do not take it around others who don’t necessarily play same style, dogs mounting my shy dog are bullies , usually my other dog correct them before I do, and they can even try to mount her because she will not allow it. Maybe find the dogs who likes to play like your dog and ask/plan with their owners to let “them be dogs” but do not assume every dog is ok with that play style, no every dog is the same “being dog” some dogs are vocal some are not, some likes to chase some likes to be chase, do not assume what your dog wants/do is what every dog would want., I would correct a dog who is being bully to mine, I don’t have to let some relax dog owner to let his bully dog abuse of the space of mine.

@alexrcraig Looks like OP doesn’t care or understand that not all the dogs behave or like the same as their dog, and mounting is actually a playful dominant move that many dogs don’t like. Of course a bully dog who is on my dog space is going to be corrected if the owner is “Relax” and not paying attention. Also it is commenting “it is your dogs fault if he doesn’t like it and avoid dog parks” why doesn’t this person understand that letting dogs wild in a public space is not a good culture, if you find dogs who likes to play like that they can rent a private place and play wild not on a public setting like a dog park. Similar you can do whatever in your backyard but once you are in public there is behavior to correct.

@starlyn This is probably the only comment of 50+ that
makes sense to me. Thank you.

My counter to that, and not a very big one is; if your dog is shy don’t bring them to the dog park. I feel like it’s the dogs time to play and be social. If your dog is in the corner, probably causing more stress by being there than my dog is mounting yours.

That being said, actions like jumping on people is a general no-no in the doggy world. I see mounting as his/her way to initiate a play fight, get the mounted dog to chase, or to show some other form of doggy-ness that I’m not privy too.

@aba1612 My dog is not shy when playing with same level energy dogs, he is super sociable and love the dog park, he is shy when correcting and letting other dogs know what he doesn’t like, he prefers to retract instead of correct and many dogs would not understand that, so either my more confident dog correct or I have to intervene since usually my dog comes to hide next to me. If I see around and the owner of that dog is relax and not paying attention that is a very bad owner behavior, a dog park is not a relax human time it is a time for the dogs you need to pay attention for every interaction your dog has and be ready to move away your dog when others want their space.

@starlyn More often than not there is an exchange between the other owner and I. It’s always along the lines of “my dogs are super friendly, but they play a little rough.” Their response is “that’s fine “.

It’s always case by case.

@aba1612 Play biting, wrestling, and having dogs that are playing and accepting of the behavior are one thing.

(I don't know if this is the extent you're allowing these behaviors but:) Allowing your dog to play rough with a dog who's not into it, or allowing your dog to chase a dog who is clearly scared, or allowing your dog to mount other dogs is NOT ok.

As I mentioned in another comment, mounting is a very rude and unacceptable behavior. You should be stopping that hard and anytime you see your dog do so, you should be stepping in and redirecting. No dog likes to be mounted, it is an unwanted behavior. It mostly happens with dogs who don't take good social cues and need redirection, or dogs who are overstimulated and can't handle their feelings.

While I agree that most dog behaviors at dog parks are just being dogs being dogs, (playing, sometimes growling, and play biting) but you as the owner need to be aware of other dogs who are not into it, or if your dog is going overboard with things... in which case you do need to step in and be a bit more hands on.

@aba1612 Yeah, if a dog keeps mounting my dog and the owner is not doing anything about it, I will pull them off. So many people have told you that mounting is not appropriate behavior and can get your dog in trouble, but you refuse to listen. Yes, mounting is "normal" behavior. Other normal behaviors that we usually train against are jumping, nipping, resource guarding, chasing and killing small animals. All normal behaviors that you usually reign in and you certainly don't want in a dog park where a lot of dogs are already highly stimulated. This is how fights happen. You need to visit a dogtraining class about dog body language and acceptable play behavior.