I can’t do this anymore

@imagebeastmarkbeast My dog is a Aussie, not a pit. He has herding instincts and was in a bad situation that I honestly regret trying out. So I’ve contacted the Rescue again to see if they can prioritize him. The person didn’t complain, which I’m grateful for, but my dog shouldn’t have been in that spot to begin with. Also noticed this morning that he has a limp. I don’t know if this was there yesterday night but he isn’t showing pain reaction to me checking his paws/arms. But if he was limping yesterday, not feeling to great, and was put in a room full of people, I totally see why he reacted so badly.

I wasn’t disclosed that he was being introduced to strangers either. I found out through a mutual friend so I was shocked when I saw that but felt uncertain how to react because the person watching after my dog was constantly stating how “good” he was being.

Edit: I was told by my mutual friend that he was being introduced literally an hour prior to the situation occurring and we were both on our way to a movie, so I didn’t have a lot of time to reach out to the person and was uncertain if I was overreacting with my fears about how my dog would do. When the situation occurred we were already about an hour into the movie.

@imagebeastmarkbeast He’s a great dog and sweet but his fear of people and reactivity with other dogs is more than what I bargained for in all honesty. I can keep up with his energy and work him out as much as I can during weekdays and weekends, even did training until my funds practically ran out. I’m hoping the rescue can do more for him.

@imagebeastmarkbeast It’s okay, I’m sorry to hear about the loss of your dog. I know it’s really hard and some people don’t realize how bonded owners are to their pets. They’re literally an extension of us, it must be hard. But I’m holding out hope that my pup can finger the help he needs and a family with a big back yard that’s patient and genuinely loves him like I do.

@englishreformed Thank you, it’s very hard still for my 2 cats especially. She was a good big sister to them and they miss her. Forgive me for not stalking your previous posts, but do you have any other pets? I was wondering if maybe he needs a “baby” of his own to care for? They are such smart dogs, there has to be a message he’s trying to convey. I wish I could meet him.

Ohhhhh. I get it. Listen guys, if it’s a pit bull then just say so ffs. Lol
The people downvoting my legitimate question are part of the reason why anti-pit people exist. I see the photo for this page has a whole bunch of different dogs, so suck my proverbial dick.

@englishreformed At this point, isn't it just compassionate to BE? There isn't an infinite reservoir of homes for aggressive dogs who need tightly controlled environments. It's absurd to think as much. It should be enough to try and fail, and have support for the difficult, mature decision.

@lisajaner Excuse me for being rude but are you insane?
I think you've been spending too much time on this sub if you think this bite actually had no warning signs as OP suggests. Putting a reactive dog in a strange environment and introducing guests all within one weekend is asking for a bite. If you can't understand why and think this post has enough information to suggest BE is the only compassionate option then I don't know if I can be anywhere near this sub anymore.

@englishreformed Do the right thing. Contact a rescue. You two are not meant for each other. A “reactive” dog is an insecure and anxious dog, that needs a very calm, assertive, non-anxious person, who can be the leader and patiently give this dog confidence. An insecure owner with an insecure dog is not a good combination. An insecure dog, with an insecure owner, will try to become the leader/protector, which is not in its nature and will lead to aggressive behavior.

@englishreformed Dogs don’t bite for no reason. That person wasn’t able to handle it and has no clue. This all falls on you OP. Stop seeking validation and actually do your homework so your dog isn’t set up for failure like it was with you. And don’t ever own another dog when you can’t handle it.

@imagebeastmarkbeast I do understand that I should have put a stop to it within the hour that I was told my dog was being introduced to people. This person didn’t tell me about the fact that they were trying to “socialize” or what they thought was socializing. But I didn’t and we’re in this place now. I understand you rescue dogs so this is a sore spot for you, but not everyone commits their lives to a pet and I should have recognized this in the person I was doing a trial run with. I was surprised with their judgement and I also failed to put my foot down and speak up soon enough.

Edit: This was a vent thread and not a support needed thread. People caught onto my inner thoughts without validation first. What everyone is saying is right, my dog should not have been in that situation and it was up to me to take him out of it. But I didn’t and I know that my home isn’t for him.

@englishreformed There is always a ladder of aggression with dogs, always. You missed those signs. If you ever thought the dog was a bite risk, muzzle training is key! I have a highly reactive dog who isn't great at meeting people, muzzle until he gives me reasons to not do so.

I also have a behavioral vet and fear free trainer, after multiple attempts at getting the right meds and focusing on training, he is now amazing. Muzzle no longer needed and I understand his signals, it's my job to protect him from feeling the need to react out of fear.

I hope the rescue can provide resources for you and you continue to work with this dog. I strongly recommend a behavioral vet, they work wonders.

@englishreformed You are allowed to be done with this dog. I think that the risk is too great, to keep a dog who bites with no warning. Your liability is massive, because you know this dog is a fearful biter who gives no warning. Rescues do not want the liability of a biter, either. And very few people will listen to and follow your instructions on how to introduce this dog. And please give a lot of thought to your dog's quality of life. He is so fearful that he has to lash out as if to protect his own life. That kind of stress is very painful. Thousands of dogs who do not fear-bite are euthanized every day. Maybe give one of them a chance? Next time, get a dog who has passed temperament testing with flying colors, and attend puppy classes with him. I'm so sorry for your situation.

Back