I am done

enfyre

Vet tech here. I work for a veterinary ER, the largest in my state. The amount of genetically screwed purebred dogs (namely Frenchies) is disturbing. STOP. BUYING. THESE. DOGS. They shouldn’t exist… last night a Frenchie almost died choking on a Greenie. We intubated him, got the Greenie out, and guess what? Still oxygen dependent. Dude’s airway was 100% clear and he was blue as a Smurf. HIS TRACHEA WAS COMPLETELY BLOCKED BY HIS OWN TISSUE. THIS IS A BRACHYCEPHALIC BREED PROBLEM. How is a dog that can’t breathe desirable?? They can’t even give birth by themselves.

It’s not just Frenchies… the amount of 4 year old Goldens with cancer is abhorrent. Doodles are skin problems waiting to happen. At this point you can almost predict the issue the dog’s gonna have based on the breed.

We had an English bulldog drown over the summer after being in a swimming pool for all of TWO MINUTES. Swimming is an innate instinct in animals and every dog should be able to support itself in a body of water for two minutes.

Can we please do better as a society and demand that breeding dogs becomes a licensed profession?? We are completely screwing live animals for the sake of “cuteness”. I’m sick of seeing animals with problems that are 100% avoidable with better genetics. (Stop feeding them, too, they’re all morbidly obese…)

@enfyre Sadly I don’t think that would do any good considering that the USDA is happily giving new licenses to puppy mills that have been reported countless times…

I was picking up my dog from the groomer yesterday and heard a horrible hacking wheezing sound on the other side of the store. It was a French bulldog. He wasn’t even doing anything. He was just standing there and he still couldn’t breathe.

@thewingsoftruth And that’s part of the problem!! The people making those decisions should be VETERINARIANS. Sorry to come off so aggressive I am so sick of this! These dogs are suffering

@enfyre I know, I am too. I’m studying animal science and I’ve seen some horrible things, though I’m sure you’ve probably seen worse. I somewhat understand your frustration.

@enfyre A lot of condemnation in your posts here, but no helpful suggestions for regular people who just want a regular dog. Or any tips/recommendations to find preferred breeders.

@akibahara THANK YOU. Like I said earlier in this thread, the willful ignorance of some people is astonishing. Information is heavily accessible (esp if you’re someone who has the means to use Reddit…) and is disgusting especially in the context of owning a pet.

@cruzianboyvi Hey there! My biggest suggestion is to do your homework before welcoming any four legged friend home. I’ve seen posts on here with people asking to ID their new dog breed and it’s a Dutch Shepherd and it makes me just 🤦🏻‍♀️

This is probably a very controversial opinion but I believe that most “regular people” shouldn’t own animals. If people cannot be bothered to care about health problems their inbred purebred faces along with a plethora of other problems (don’t get me started), they do not deserve to be responsible for an innocent life.

Responsible breeders genetically test the parents and have strict contracts regarding who the puppies go to, if/when they can be bred, and what to do in the instances of rehoming. It’s very difficult to find breeders and it should take much more than word of mouth to decide whether or not a breeder is reputable.

Back