I am done

@cruzianboyvi If you're not smart enough to open google and find reputable breeders as well as an encyclopedia of information on the subject of acquiring a dog then you're not smart enough to care for a dog.

@joshuahello Not sure where your hostility is coming from, but I hope you get it sorted soon, as I'm sure it makes you most unpleasant to be around. Your user name is NOT checking out, you're being a dick.

I assure you I'm smart enough to care for a dog (my dog tax), but I do not know how to discern truths from fictions on a breeder's website. You'll not see a breeder claim to be a corporate puppy mill utilizing inhumane practices to ensure the largest litters possible. They're all going to claim to be like the Daisy Hill Puppy Farm where the dogs are all lovingly cared for in their own lavish pens. All I was asking for are tips or recommendations to discern the difference between the two. I'd appreciate any helpful insight you may have. If none, kindly keep scrolling.

@cruzianboyvi Why do you think that it's better to ask random strangers on Reddit about it rather then spend a considerable amount of time and try to find the answers yourself? Finding a reputable breeder is not as easy as a few tips and tricks here and there, to be able to discern amongst breeders you need to do a thorough research that takes a lot of time and effort. I know how to find a reputable breeder where I live but we might have entirely different regulations, marketing traps etc compared to where you live. No one can give you the answer to your question because it's multifactorial. It's not like asking what's 2+2 and someone being able to clearly give you an answer. Start by researching all the breeders in your area, talk to people who bought from these breeders, talk to the veterinarians in your area, see if you have groups in your area that denounce bad breeding practices, look for the number of dogs a breeder has, ask for an irl visit of the enclosures before you buy the dog (any reputable breeder will allow you to visit the puppies and see where they live and how they're taken care of), read everything you can about the breed of dog you're about to get and become knowledgeable enough so that you can give all the questions that will make you understand if a certain breeder knows their shit, educate yourself on the tests needed for that certain breed (all reputable breeders will do usgs of the pregnant dog and for breeds that have known genetic issues a reputable breeder will be able to provide proof of genetic testing), research the lineage of the dogs being bread and ask for documentation that proves that they're healthy, a reputable breeder will sell different categories of puppies such as companion pups vs pups that are allowed to breed, etc. I could go on forever with tips but no one is obligated to write a free book on Reddit just because you're too lazy to do your own damn research.

@cruzianboyvi Start at your breed’s national club website and look for a list of genetic diseases that they recommend breeding stock be evaluated for. Check the breed club’s website for breeders near you and then call or email to determine if they are engaged in having ALL recommended testing done, are happy you’ve asked and eager to share their animals results. “Health certificate” from the vet is entirely INsufficient. AKC registered does not ensure quality and only means it’s purebred. AKC engages in almost no regulatory oversight at all. If there’s not a wait list, that’s a yellow flag. Most ethical breeders don’t breed until they have a certain number of approved applicants for pups. If there’s a whole litter, or multiple, that are all available that gives me tremendous pause. Websites that feature loads of puppies of varying breeds from different breeders are often clearinghouses for mill dogs. Ethical breeders are breeding with a purpose and will title breeding stock in conformation shows, field trials or be attached to service animal organizations. Almost all designer cross breeds are bred unethically, even if the breeder loves their dogs and raises them indoors, they simply don’t engage in appropriate health and genetic testing.

@enfyre Its really sad when so many dogs are in pounds waiting to be homed. We need to emphasise dogs are companions, not fashion accessories.

@lee1009 And the reason for rehoming sometimes- “didn’t know dog was going to get so big.” You are a special kind of stupid if you didn’t know your German shepherd puppy was going to be huge 🙄

@enfyre Please, OP, don't give up your job. We need people like you to trigger awareness about this serious this issue is. Your position gives you authority to call this issue out and make people aware of how much bullshit these manufactured breeds are.

@enfyre If you’re looking for another dog, the southwest has some amazing rescues for mostly mutts. Some orgs I follow and appreciate are: RezDawg Rescue, RezRoads Rescue and Soul Dog Rescue. They’re all very active on Facebook.

I’m from the Navajo Nation and we have a huge stray dog problem so every foster/adoption helps!

@spiritlead2013 I have a former rez dog and she is the greatest! Thanks for posting this :) more rez dogs need homes. I absolutely can't fathom that my fur kid used to be a stray- she is so innately gentle, happy, goofy.

@enfyre Im a dog groomer and I totally get it. Doodles especially. People want them because theyre cute and fluffy but then dont maintain them and get upset when I have to shave Fluffy down. We need to stop breeding random dogs with poodles. I love when people schedule appointments and say "oh I have a pure bred golden doodle"😂 Ma'am, youre dog is a mutt lmaoo

@enfyre PREACH I’m so sick of being in a world where anyone can just decide to make dogs for money. There needs to be consequences for people who create an animal that suffers it’s entire life and dies at 5

@enfyre When we first moved to San Antonio, in August 2014, we stayed in a hotel. We would see all the other dogs being walked. We saw a man that was walking his dog that had a short snout. He took his dog for a walk around noon and the dog collapsed. He performed CPR on his dog but the dog ended up passing away. I had my husband go help him as he had some vet training due to the military dogs in Iraq.

We have a dog that has a somewhat short snout due to being half boxer. We have to be very careful to not walk her for too long in the summer months.

Back