Husband wants dogo argentino

@sizing Incorrect. They rarely get the opportunity to kill a huge boar because they are extremely hard to kill. They will kill the smaller ones routinely. It’s a catch dog. It bites and twists. They will absolutely kill if they can.

@pelegrinus I figured. That’s why I prefaced it with the fact I just read it somewhere. I know the base breed was the Córdoba fighting dog and I was having trouble understanding how you get a dog that doesn’t kill from that

@sizing If they get a mountain lion they actively kill. They do not actively kill an adult boar because few animals actually can kill a boar. Look at their anatomy: Boar carry the head very low, their throat points to the ground, sharp tusks in the way if it's a male boar. Their leather is so thick that a knife gets dull after skinning one single boar; and while a sharp knife might puncture their thick skin, the rather dull teeth of a dog rarely do.

So, your not wrong, they do pin instead of kill, but not for a lack of hunting and killing drive, but rather because especially wild boar are hard to kill by any dog.

I still wouldnt call dogos aggressive. That's like calling a cat aggressive when it hunts mouse. Aggression and prey drive aren't the same. Aggression is more like, intraspecific and especially against human. And I don't see that in dogos; though I am not a dogo expert.

@icetonez Yeah that would make more sense. I guess that’s the problem with people like me trying to understand a breed purely on paper. First hand experience would be a good way to see how these desirable genetic traits express themselves. For the record I’ve wanted a Dogo for long time but I had to get honest with myself and understand I don’t have a need for a working breed and I don’t have the time to train

@sizing To be fair, I read my comment again and I have no idea why I went into the brutal details. I have a stressfull day and am distracting myself a bit with reddit. Sorry.

I am same: I like the idea of having a dogo, but am better off with my hound. I know people who own dogos as pets and one group in Spain who own them for hunting. The Spanish dogs are... Something else. But the way they are kept is more like, tools. Not companions or friends. Meanwhile, my hound sleeps in my bed.

Btw, my hound is also from boar lines - but those were truly bred to NOT bite. They stand and bay if they have prey - my dog took immensely long to even play tug with me since she is so avoidant of biting something.

So, breed definitely plays a role. In hunting, in per ownership, in everything. It's just often not easy to say which behavior is bred vs learnt, and how strongly those behaviours are genetically fixed. Like e.g. the breed of hound o have? They never bite/latch onto a boar. The dogos? Always. That points to genetic behavior