My groomer nipped my dog. Wants to go through her insurance and I’m annoyed and upset about it

@mhartwig Here is a screenshot of the chat with the vet. She told me to use antibacterial handsoap.
I now see that she didn’t specifically say Dial, but that’s what I’m assuming she meant.

Edit: And BEFORE you say anything about the hydrocortisone, I called in on the phone and the vet told me that it was safe to use to relieve him of itching.

@_h_ I’d personally never recommend human products for any dogs wound besides a simple peroxide.. the fact she said that if it wouldn’t sting when water is applied to then apply soap is really strange.. water doesn’t sting unless it’s a super open wound..
This seems to have a lot going on and I think your dog may just have a sensitive underside (you said it’s been red on other occasions) and from now on just ask for the hygiene area to be scissored not clipped.

@mhartwig I believe he may be extra sensitive there too. But the first two times I didn’t think it was a big deal because he would be a little red and then it would go away.

I figured that when I shave, wax or do anything down there that I’m sensitive too and I may be itchy and red for a few hours. So I didn’t think anything of it. I thought the same thing applied.

@_h_ 100% that is inflammed from excessive licking, perhaps from clipper burn, perhaps from an older injury, perhaps from a nick.

Dogs mouths are filthy.

In the future, should you hear your pet schlopping away at an area of their body, stop them. And, instead of a scarf (really?), since you now are completely aware of your dogs propensity for licking, you need to invest in an e collar.

@rockerfox Yes (really) a scarf. Please tell me what I should have used instead.

It was not one of those flimsy scarves. It was a big infinity scarf that I was able to wrap around his neck multiple times. When I wrapped it around him, it kind of looked like one of the doughnuts that they sell specially for this purpose. So yes, I did use a scarf as a temporary fix.

@_h_ Two days of unrestricted licking can do A LOT of damage. And your description of prior redness from previous grooms indicates the possibility of a long term infection going on. You unknowingly really gambled. And it could have gone far more poorly. Consider this your warning about living systems: minor things in pets can escalate drastically and earlier intervention is always better.

For the future: what you should have done instead was indeed taken him to the vet emergency center and gotten him evaluated and an e collar. You were on the money there, but I'm having a hard time understanding that the ER vet defferred patient care to day practice when that is never done in emergency vet medicine. Is that right?

If that is actually the case, then I suppose you have even more fish to fry.

@rockerfox It wasn’t two days of licking. I picked him up at around 4 pm. I called the ER around 1 am. I knew he couldn’t keep licking and I new he was suffering so I googled what I could do. I put the scarf on him around 1:45ish.

I’m in LA and the ERs have a 10 hour wait time estimate for non emergencies. It’s SO backed up. So yes, I think she told me no because she didn’t think it was serious enough?

@_h_ No.

They will not defer.

Period.

And your description of him being blocked is EXACTLY why.

If you chose not to go, that's your prerogative.

But, so we are clear, it was the wrong choice.

You, and only you, have allowed your pet to languish with an infection over night without adequate veterinary care. That's your own irresponsibility and negligence.

Significant wait times for pets that are stable, without heart and breathing irregularities, are standard now at veterinary emergency centers. But that does NOT mean it was NOT emergent.

@rockerfox Girl shut up. There would be no infection to be had without him being cut in the first place. She (a vet) suggested that I just wait and that’s what I did. Thank you.

@_h_ I understand you're worried about your dog and about the money you've spent. I get that. I really do.

But, grooming is going to be a regular ongoing expense. And will get more expensive as he ages and gets bigger. Or gets mats. Or becomes difficult.

And emergency vet bills are spendy, I get it. But even regular preventative wellness in LA is going to cost you hundreds of dollars annually.

So if you're concerned about those costs, you should reconsider if this is the right breed for you. I know that's hard to hear. But real talk, you come across as somewhat unprepared for all that having this animal involves.

At the very least while he is healthy, be proactive instead of reactive and apply for care credit in case of future vet emergencies, so you don't end up in a position of having to decline care due to costs.

And as a final thought, monitor his wound care and stay in contact with his regular vet. If, at any point, things are not healing well or aren't progressing the way you'd like, dont hesitate to call them immediately. The site of his wound can be... difficult to manage. Rest and no licking are paramount.

I hope you find a groomer that will be able to work with him. Perhaps advise them he has reactive skin on his prepuce and to not clip it too tight as a preventative measure.

Good luck on your journey.

@rockerfox I do not have a problem covering my dogs vet bills. I am very comfortable. HE is very comfortable. We live great lives. I am financially stable.

That is not the issue here at all. That isn’t what any of this is about.

Yes I 100% agree that you should not have a dog living paycheck to paycheck. They’re more expensive than I’d ever imagined. Lol

I’ve been wanting a dog my whole life, growing up, I wasn’t allowed to have one because my mom doesn’t like them. When I became a baby adult and went to college I couldn’t get one either because I was broke and living in a dorm. When I finished my advanced degree, I still didn’t get a dog right after because I knew I couldn’t take care of it.

I’m now two years removed from being broke an unstable. Hell, I wanted one a year ago but knew that I need to tackle my student loans. So that’s what I did. I waited. I can afford one now.

I have ample space to run around my apartment with him, I live in a building with its own very big dog park, I can afford to buy his prescription food or Just Food for Dogs because he’s a picky eater.

Money isn’t the issue. Customer service is. It’s the principle of the matter is all. And people keep saying that I should t have one of I can’t afford it. But fail to respond when I say that you shouldn’t be in business if you can’t afford an emergency. It really does go both ways.

@_h_ I see.

I think when you stated what about if you were finally unstable, you meant it as conjecture. Not that you actually are.

That's where that came from and folks are concerned that you might be in over your head.

I'd still recommend the carecredit though, and it sounds like you wouldnt have issues qualifying. That way you have it on hand if he needs a surgery or chemo later on in life. It's zero interest if you pay it off within the terms and if you need to build credit could be a useful tool for you. Just a thought.

I was also thinking, you could try getting in with some breed groups on FB for your area and seeing what groomers are recommended for his coat type and what you're looking for and who has had good experiences. Just an idea if you haven't already thought of it.

Best of luck!

@rockerfox Wait let me rephrase about the ER call. She never said no. She said that it wasn’t life threatening and suggested that I just take him to the vet to be seen. She told me it would be a 10-12 hour wait.

@_h_ Honestly, any open wound can get infected. We try REALLY REALLY hard not to injure dogs in our care, but we're working with sharp tools on living, moving beings. Dogs don't understand grooming - most of them hate it, and will dick around. I usually tell owners to keep the area clean and to see the vet if they're concerned, and I will cover the entire bill if they have to go. It's not always my fault, sometimes dogs jump or flail or whatever, but they are in my care so it's my responsibility. I feel your groomer should cover the entire bill (less any unrelated expenses like vaccines or preexisting conditions), but will likely take a bit of time to sort it out through insurance. I'm lucky I've only had one incident and I paid for it out of pocket. You can look into Care Credit if you need help with vet bills in the mean time. I know it's frustrating, hopefully the rest of the process goes smoothly for you and pup!

@%E2%98%A6marius%E2%98%A6 Right. I completely understand that it was an accident and I feel bad for my dog and the employee because she may have been scolded. I genuinely do.

But he isn’t a wild dog when getting groomed. The first time he got groomed, I watched I’m from the other side of the window for like 10 min. where he couldn’t see me. I wanted to know how he did.

If anything he’s one of those dogs that just freezes up and shakes. Every time, they’ve said that he’s been a great dog to groom.