Husband wants dogo argentino

ombowstring1

My husband and I both are in the military, he works 12 hour shifts where I have a more conventional M-F schedule. We have a 1.5 year old Pyrenees lab female that is pretty good with dogs generally. My husband is dead set on getting a dogo argentino, though I am very against it as I understand it to be an aggressive breed that needs an insane amount of training, training we would not have time or money for. I’ve brought up their genetics and prey drive and that I don’t think it would be a good fit with our girl or lifestyle and he is insistent that it’s just like any other dog. I am afraid to stand my ground but I do not want this dog at all, mainly for fear of how it will react with our other dog. Am I over thinking this and being to harsh on the breed? Any advice or insight would be great thank you
Also I was planning to get a cat but from what I’ve read the dog would go after it and it would not be safe, my girl grew up with cats and is very good with them. Thoughts?

@ombowstring1 The fact that you do not agree at all should be the end of the argument regarless of breed. Never bring a dog into a family when not everyone is on board.

@kreke My shitty ex-neighbor had a beautiful dogo argentino who was poorly trained and severely dog aggressive toward my neutered male. He was also very interested in my spayed female (the dogo argentino was not neutered). We have a 5 ft fence between our properties and other than him being aggressive at the fence toward my male if my female was ignoring him and playing with her brother instead, I just let it go.

He jumped the fence one day and attacked my boy. Thankfully nothing life threatening. My neighbor ended up also getting over the fence to pull his poorly trained, dog- aggressive dog off of my dog. It was a bloody mess and $1100 in vet bills.

Anywho. This was not the first time his dog had gotten into a dog fight. Nor was it the first time he'd defied his owner, or acted out. They are strong willed, aggressive dogs, and OP is right to be wary.

@kreke Dogo Argentino
Breed Group: Working
Recognized by their distinctly shaped white heads and cropped ears, the Dogo Argentino is a combination of companion and protector. They’ll look to their master as the pack leader but aren’t afraid to step up and defend their territory.

Behavior
The Dogo Argentino is a fierce yet warm breed. They were originally created to hunt game, which is where their tenacity comes from. They also have a natural desire to protect and love their family, making them great companions. The Dogo Argentino is smart and can be easily trained with a firm but loving hand. They need to see you as the pack leader, or they’ll become stubborn and think they run the show.

Coat
Dogo Argentinos are known for their glossy, thick coat of white fur. Some of them also have a black marking on their heads, which is called a “pirata.” Dogo Argentinos are short-haired and don’t have an undercoat, making care much more manageable than it is for other large breeds. They only need to be brushed and bathed once in a while, so you can spend more time playing instead of grooming.

Lifestyle
Dogo Argentinos make excellent guard dogs that will protect their families with fervor. Although they can be ferocious if needed, they’re actually good with children and love to cuddle. However, because of their size, these dogs shouldn’t be left alone around small kids. Dogo Argentinos can be aggressive toward other dogs but get along well with cats and non-canines if socialized together. This breed does best with a yard to play in, but they can live comfortably in an apartment too.

Activity
Unlike many big dogs, Dogo Argentinos don’t need a ton of strenuous exercise; a decent amount of activity will do the trick. They enjoy at least a long walk or run each day to get the blood flowing, which also helps maintain good behavior. If you get them involved with a sport, they can take direction easily and are known for responding well to training. They were made to live by a set of rules, so regimented activities are always a good fit.

@karoliina OP doesn't work 12 hour shifts, though. I think the reason for pointing that it out it would obviously fall on OP do to the majority of the work for a bred-to-be-aggressive dog she doesn't want.

@imagebeastmarkbeast Yeah exactly - and a 9-5 is a lot for a dog as it is (the general recommendation is not to leave a dog more than 4-5 hours, although many people already do more because anyone can say they’re an expert and “but my dog is fine” but few people do the research needed to enrich a dog’s life adequately).

To get a new puppy requires time off work to train etc. and to get a rescue requires time off to habilitate.
Then there’s the ongoing training and stimulation which is intense for a good puppet of years if you want to give the dog it’s best life.

After that there’s still the same intense stimulation just at a gradually lower rate depending on the dog.

Aside from this there’s another dog that might not cope well with another, who will need some support and training to get used to the new one. They might get on, but they might not. The other dog still needs attention and stimulation and likely needs a different set of brain and body exercises to the new dog - especially if the new dog is a puppy, but also because different dogs need different things.

Imo OP is absolutely right in not wanting another dog.

@karoliina For sure, I work 9 to 5 but I had to work it out when she was a puppy to come home earlier for potty training. And that's with a husky--hyper, needs a lot of exercise, but not an aggressive bone in her body.

A dogo argentino is a whooooole other ballgame.

@candycehill I’m sorry. I’m a lazy Texter in like to use speak to text. I have to be more concise when speaking to Siri I guess lol. Let me give you some more insight instead of being so broad. I have four does Argentinas one death American boxer mix and a German shepherd mix. One of my Dogo Dams just had a litter of eight. I love the dogo argentino. But they can be challenging to the inexperienced and experienced. If you get one as a puppy, they will be excellent and extremely loyal to everyone, including the pets you have already. If you try to bring in the pet once they’re adults that can be challenging. Not always, but sometimes. Every dog has a different character like people in a way. They will never betray you, unless you abuse them. I’ve never abused mine, but I can imagine. They are active and need exercise, at least three times a week intense. Or four times a week moderate. They can have allergy issues, but not always. All my dogs are in a grain free kibble/ raw diet. This seems to help with any health issues and is more cost effective in the long run. A big mistake people make, including myself, is not training them enough as puppies. If you decide to get one, you must train them thoroughly as soon as you get them until they are at least two years old. This will guarantee a more stable temperament. If you do not this changes, the whole dynamic. One of my Dogos is extremely territorial. She does not know how to act with other dogs, and is sometimes confrontational with her own her pack. We spoil her rotten and we were not strict enough in the beginning. That and a combination of getting her at the beginning of Covid lockdown. The lack of Socialization did not help, but was kind of not our fault because of the circumstances during Covid. She hast to wear a muzzle when I walk her and will lunge at other dogs. Not people, but she’s very suspicious of them. I have a choker leash and a leash attached to a front harness when I walk her. She’s very powerful and weighs about 100 pounds. She likes squirrels and rabbits. She’s a female alpha. We love her and are committed and will not get rid of her so we deal with this, but we are looking into a professional trainer. It is challenging though, but my wife and I are passionate about dogs, so we deal with it. This may not be your situation though. These are all things to consider and this is just a brief summarization. They are excellent dogs if you are disciplined people. You will never have to feel unsafe in your own home. It’s like having a personal bodyguard. I am also a concealed carry holder and carry firearms. A good way to compare. This is the responsibility of having or owning a weapon. You must be aware of this. This may not be the case, if you have a great temperament Dogo. But the risk is high if you don’t train it.
Long story short, if you don’t train your dog oh, it’s like having a gun that you have to maintain control over all the time because you it can move on its own. Sometimes only targeting people , kids, or other animals, or just one of those. Sometimes a focus on kids because they don’t understand the meaning of a small person and recognize it once they confront.
On the other hand, if you train the dog, it can be extremely calm and playful around all people and animals. This can be said about most dogs except this dog is extremely powerful and it’s nature. If Chihuahuas were 10 times bigger than what they are, they probably would’ve killed a lot of people and animals. You were right to be cautious. Warn him read my comments. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask me. I have been in the atmosphere for over three years. I love it and breathe it. But I have the set up for it and the patience. Cheers!

@ombowstring1 Your husband should do some more research into what breeds were used to create the Dogo and what traits they have. Their traits are not the result of training, they’re the result of genetics that were specifically bred into them. If he’s not planning on using the dogo to hunt, or at least training to stimulate the dog correctly, he’s doing the dog a disservice and robbing it of a fulfilling life

@sizing Yep, if i remember correctly one of the main dog breeds that are used to create dogo Argentinos kills other female dogs, it's extinct because they kill the females after mating.

@anth987 Not sure why you are being downvoted, ingnorance, I guess. The (also white) Cordoba Fighting Dog, which indeed was used to create the Dogo Argentino, went extinct in the 20th century because they were so aggressive that they would often fight rather than mate, and sometimes kill the female during mating. So, you are absolutely right.

@anth987 I’ve never heard that. I read somewhere that they’re bred to pin down wild boar and let the hunter get the kill, so it’s in their genes to NOT kill. I don’t know if I’d bet my life on that though