How to tell my dog his toy is not alive?

@peacefan This is great that we're all the same with our dogs.
Our Cruiser, an Australian Shepherd, helps bring his "baby" (lamb chop), to the laundry room so baby can have a bath. Then he forgets. But when baby is ready, he's all happy and wants to take him outside.

@peacefan Hopefully he will be gentle with it then. Sounds adorable.

One of my dogs only squeaks toys with his nose. He just squishes them with his face - it looks so uncomfortable.

@peacefan Is it all squeaky toys or just the one? I have some toys I have had to take away from my dog because they just get him too worked up. One example is the beaver/hedgehog toys that make that weird quack instead of a squeak? Amusing as hell but he just gets too upset after awhile. Then I find them and think, oh enough time has passed.. and nope, lol. But it sounds to me your dog just wants you to play with him!

@peacefan Not sure but my guess is just play with them with that toy, making sure to squeak it. They will see its alright then go to town on it. Very good chance they also just like the toy and are trying to share it with you thinking you will too.

@peacefan The particular pitch of that squeaker could be hurting his ears.

I had a dog that loved squeaky toys, but this one squeaky pig that made a different pitched squeak she absolutely hated. She would bark at it if she squeaked it. We ended up taking that toy away.

Toys are supposed to be enriching and fun, if they are afraid of the toy or don't like it, no need to torture them or yourself, just put it away or give it away to someone else with a dog. Dogs do have preferences with things, your dog just might not like this toy.

@peacefan If he doesn’t usually bring you toys to play with him, then he was probably bringing it to you so you could make it go away! And you put it on his bed, which obviously distressed him. Please throw the toy away and make sure to get ones without squeakers going forward.

@peacefan Lol poor baby. My ex's family dog had a similar thing...we didn't realize until I got a dog with her and we'd bring her over to play with her. My pup would be blasting around their home, playing with her toys. She didn't even know her toys squeaked 💔 cause she was always so gentle with them. Then my pup would squeak her toys, and she'd get so concerned. I felt horrible. Turns out she started squeaking them shortly thereafter hahah sweet girl

@peacefan Does he act stressed when you hold the toy and squeak it repeatedly? If so, I’d say he doesn’t like the squeak. Open the toy and remove the squeaker.

Back