heartbroken over recent rescue

ineedgrace

Recently posted about our new 1 yo rescue Mastiff mix (H), who attacked another dog on a walk (completely unprovoked). Got a lot of super helpful advice, I ordered a muzzle and was ready to put in some training with the muzzle for future walks.

But then, H attacked our other dog (C) and bit through his ear taking a small permanent chunk out of it, it scared me to my core watching him latch onto C like that. This happened while they were playing in our yard, pretty roughly but nothing out of the ordinary (tumbling and chasing each other). It went from rough play to terrifying attack in a split second.

In my previous post someone referenced the Dr Ian Dunbar's Dog Bite Scale and on both occasions, New Pup seems to be a "Level 4" biter. Which is very bad.

99.99% of the time, H & C get along great. They even have fallen asleep together on the same bed on multiple occasions, ridden in the back of our small sedan car together for hours. H has never shown aggression towards people, he's sweet, house broken, doesn't even try to get on the furniture, doesn't chew on things he shouldn't, and rarely rarely barks or makes a noise at all. He's extremely responsive to commands, good at recall, so maaany good things.

But, I'm scared for our other dog now. I muzzle H every time they go outside just to pee or whatever, I'm terrified whenever they begin to play and I immediately put a stop to it. They're both around 90lbs, and could do some serious damage to one another.

So we called the rescue we adopted him from and told them we don't think it's going to work out. We said we think he needs a home with no other dogs. The woman absolutely berated us over the phone and accused us of not putting in the work, of not giving him a chance, and said "dogs fight its what they do, sometimes you have to choke one out to get it off the other". She also told us she's overwhelmed and doesn't have the time for another dog. Yet, the contract she had us sign said we needed to return him to her.

We've had C for just over 4 years, I used to take him to the dog park every day, he's stayed with our family's dogs for months at a time, and has never EVER gotten into a fight. I'm not saying he's an angel by any means, but I have NEVER torn him and another dog apart until 2 days ago. He plays rough as heck too but it's always good spirited.

Anyways, I think this is mostly a vent. I'm so sad and we don't particularly want to give H back to this foster (she had him for months and when she gave him to us he was very underweight and filthy?evidently not well cared for at all).

I really think the right thing is to get him in a loving home where he's the only pup, but the rescue made me feel so horrible that I'm now in a guilt ridden place.

Anyone been in a similar situation?

TL;DR Fell in love with our new rescue, but he's attacked our other dog a few times, making us feel for everyone's safety we need to give him back.

@ineedgrace I remember your post. You were amazing for being willing to take new dog in, but your concerns are valid. You need to prioritize C’s safety. Please do not let the rescuer dissuade you. I think it is fair to give her a deadline to accept the dog back. Tell her if she’s unavailable at that time you will surrender the dog to a reputable rescue.

@ineedgrace The woman from the rescue told you to that sometimes you have to choke a dog. Jesus Christ. Nope. Sorry. I've been involved in rescue for twelve years and I've never heard of anything like that. And OF COURSE she's "overwhelmed" because ALL of them are. It doesn't excuse what she said to you.

DO NOT let this rescue bully you! Do what is right for you and your dog and if that means returning H, then return him. I've had a reactive foster for almost six months and I am crating and rotating with my other dogs, and this is the ONLY way it's working out. I refuse to put my dogs at risk. But let me tell you how much work it is. I would only do it with a foster (and I've already had her much longer than I planned to). In my opinion it's not sustainable for an adopted dog situation.

Please do not make decisions like this based on guilt. You are allowed to return a dog.

@cbear87 So, upon further research that "foster lady" we adopted him from is actually just the woman who runs the whole organization. I was really hoping to get in touch with her higher up or another foster under their rescue, but she's it. It doesn't feel right to give H to someone who clearly can't care for him - is it insane to offer to foster him in the mean time? and offer to do whatever she needs to get him adopted? (knowing full well we will have to keep him muzzled pretty often)

@ineedgrace That doesn't surprise me at all. The rescue my foster is with is more or less a one woman show and she's a nutcase. What happened to you sounds like something she would do (and has done). It's not insane at all for you to offer to foster him-it's extremely generous. But I can tell you because I'm currently in this situation, finding an adopter with no other dogs, who will agree to never adopt another dog, who doesn't care if their dog can be around other dogs, holy SHIT is it hard. My foster literally loves people-LOVES them-she is THE friendliest dog with (especially) men, women and kids, yet she needs to be an only. I live in Chicago, a city of 9 million (with the burbs), and I've had her for six months. And she's had one app. One. And I market the HELL out of her.

However. I know there are mastiff "people" who love that breed and have experience with them, and those are the people who would need to see him. So if you can get visibility that way, do it. But again-if this isn't sustainable for you, return him. It's not your rescue. I hate to be so blunt but I have learned the hard way after so many years of fostering and working with so many rescues.

@cbear87 Thank you! You are the exact person I feel I needed to hear from and the bluntness is very much appreciated.

I care for H a lot and ugh, need to talk it over with my fiancé. This is not a fun situation to be in. I want to do right by H and C and us!

@ineedgrace Do what's best for you and your dogs. Return him and let the rescue know about what that girl told you and the condition the dog was in when you got him.

What she said to you was horrible and scary. Don't let her bully you into keeping a dangerous situation. Your first instinct was correct and you should stick by it.

You have a great heart, good in you for opening your home to a dog that really needs it. It didn't work out this time but it doesn't diminish the kind act you did.

@ineedgrace Dang that sucks. Another comment says to give her a deadline to collect the dog (document all communication) and if she doesn't take him, get the dog to a different rescue

@ineedgrace Do not let that woman berate you. Safety first, always. I'm sure she would never put her personal dog in that position, and she'd be livid if the tables were turned and your dog had hurt the one you adopted from her. Also under no circumstances should "choking a dog out" be considered normal - I don't even think that is the correct way to break up a dog fight.

You're doing what is right, not what's easy. Bravo.