My reactive dog got back to the shelter today. Absolutely heartbroken and angry

@marcrene01 okay so, i've explained myself wrong trying to be quick in writing. 4h walks = 1h "walks", where i drive to a secluded area in the woods and he can sniff on a long lead. repeat four times through the day.
The issue was that he was stressed by everyone's presence, mine included, and therefore needed to decompress the triggers stacked being inside the house.
For the brief time we attempted this, it really helped. he would be much more chill interacting with us.

as for the "antistress" food: we were feeding him food with an average grain content. The trainer explained to us that the same chemical compounds used to digest grain, are used to convert the cortisol (?) produced by stress back into serotonin> lower stress. so basically, a more meat rich, grain low diet would help his body have the chemicals available to reduce stress. This diet would be alright just for his younger years, switching to a more fitting one as he ages.

maybe you'll still think she was saying random things, i don't know. We were all finding her advice more sound than the advice from the previous three trainers we reached out too (all still fear free, non aversive)

@roman_k She seems to be a hokum peddler. This dog appears as if it has mental problems that are not caused by diet. You did nothing wrong. The dog you adopted was reactive and fearful, that's okay. You didn't do anything wrong!! But diet and secluded walks aren't going to help.

Finding the dogs threshold and retreating once that's met. Uber treats to keep the attention. Trazadone or other anti-anxiety medications may work for him, too. Grain free diets are only for dogs with allergies and can negatively impact the dog's digestive tract.

I'm so sorry you had to go through all this. You did nothing wrong!! Like you said, 1st time owners. Students. Etc. I hope pup finds a good home that can afford his treatment. You're awesome pet owners. Don't give up!

@roman_k The walk schedule is a pretty intense and impractical approach, but if it helped dramatically when nothing else did, I can see why decompression walks would be recommended. I would hope as a trainer to eventually find another way to get that kind of benefit without such a burden on the caregivers, but since it obviously helped I don't see how you could call it incorrect.

The dietary advice isn't random by any means, but it doesn't have great scientific support either. There are connections between grains and cortisol and serotonin in humans, but many of those studies recommend whole grains for humans to break down cortisol and reduce gut serotonin (which is separated from brain serotonin) and and are likely funded by grain interests. The decreasing grains idea seems to come from the concept of constant stress causing adrenal fatigue, but there is valid criticism of the whole concept of adrenal fatigue as used by nutritionists, who are often accused of misinterpreting diagnosable adrenal insufficiency (which in medicine means your adrenal glands are not keeping up with the body's needs in a way that can be detected in a blood test) in some unproven partial chronic way that requires dietary support (because then they can sell you lots of supplements). So far, there's no scientific evidence that nutritionally trying to support the adrenal glands that aren't detectably insufficient actually improves symptoms, but it may turn out to be true that overworked adrenal glands from chronic stress do benefit from some kind of nutritional change. However, even if that turns out to be true for humans, it might not carry over to dogs. Right now this is more in the "shouldn't hurt, might help" category. There is a lot of pseudoscience in the nutritionist arena, and it's already poorly regulated in humans much less canines, but when you are grasping at straws you might want to try everything.

Adrenal Fatigue from Mayo Clinic

I don't think this trainer is necessarily bad at helping reactive dogs, but it does sound like she is more into alternative medicine and less peer reviewed science than I am comfortable with, so I would probably go with someone with a stronger science background like a board-certified veterinary behaviorist. It's easy to get pulled in by hope when you aren't getting results from more rigorously proven methods. But that type of advice is definitely nothing to feel guilty about NOT doing.

@kittyc Thank you for clarifying so extensively. I'm no dog expert but her methods did definitely work in the immediate moment and yes, they were meant to be momentary solutions, not long term. She gave us a training program in which she stated how we would then introduce the dog to triggers slowly, staying under threshold, along with medication, and more advice i see regularly on this sub. I guess that's why I trusted her. I don't think we would have been able to keep him even with a different trainer, and different trainers confirmed that he'll never be comfortable with humans (not even family most probably).
Still, again thank you for actually explaining and quoting sources, I was getting confused on why people disliked her methods, now it's more clear. I will be mindful of this in the future

@roman_k The shelter failed this dog by not properly understanding his needs or lying about his needs to get him out of there. You have been more responsible for him than they were by pursuing the correct options and they're simply not possible for your household and keeping him would be irresponsible when he can instead receive the training he needs with the shelter.

The number of posts of people who've been told off or guilt tripped by shelter staff is concerning. It does however, show you are not alone. The idea of guilt tripping people into keeping dogs they are not equipped to handle is repulsive and it's disgusting that some staff are doing this. I really hope it's just ignorance and naivety but sometimes it won't be. It has to stop.

@thedwarf “The idea of guilt tripping people into keeping dogs they are not equipped to handle is repulsive.”

Exactly. That’s how bites happen. That’s how attacks happen. (Obviously not the only way but it certainly could contribute.) Look, I want to save every pet as much as the next person, but we cannot forget we have a duty to keep others and our communities safe.

@thedwarf I don't get this either. It's very responsible to know your limits.

And with rehoming too. Sometimes things happen in life you have no control over and can't keep your pet. People act like it only happens when you just don't want your pet anymore when it may be a very tough and traumatic decision.

Empathy goes a long way.

@roman_k I’m so sorry. This just happened to me too. I posted the “I’m afraid of my rescue” thread early this morning. You’ve done nothing wrong and in fact, did the very best thing for everyone by admitting you’re not the best fit for that dog. Rescues that guilt trip and shame us for wanting what’s best for the animal deserve to rot in hell.

@roman_k That’s really sad but it’s not your fault at all. Sounds like the shelter wasn’t honest about the dog or what the dog needs to succeed. I hope you can find a more suitable fit for your home!

@roman_k You were fortunate to be able to return him. I hope it doesn’t discourage you from dog ownership going forward but I would suggest looking for an easier breed to start with. I would also suggest looking for a reputable breeder. Not because I’m opposed to shelter dogs or rescues. My current dog was a street rescue. But dogs from shelters and rescues often come with unknown histories and baggage a first time owner may not be prepared for. I hope both you and the dog find peace going forward.

@tjfreeman37 At the moment I can't tell if I will adopt again. I really want to, but I'm so heartbroken.
however, I had made a commitment to saving a dog, not buying one. I couldn't do it for him specifically, but maybe i can help another.

@roman_k It sounds like you were badly matched, and should have been paired with another dog prior to adoption. A reactive pit is not a good dog for first time owners. Im sorry, but pits need someone experienced as do reactive dogs.. This isnt fair to you or your pup.

Taking him back sounds like it absolutely was the right choice, and the shelter staff are probably just being rude because they don’t want to have to deal with him and try to rehome him again.

Next time you choose a dog, try to find a dog that has traits that match your lifestyle and skill level. Good luck op,

@roman_k They're wrong, not you. Know your limits. These things happen, and it is really sad.

A lot of young people go to shelters to adopt a dog, and this is not an inherently bad thing. In many ways it's a good thing, but I think the culture around it really glosses over or really ignores the challenges of bringing a dog into your life, especially ones that you didn't get to oversee through formative periods of their socialization and growth. When you luck out and get one that can be clipped on a leash and walked around a city with no problems, or who can play well in a dog park, or who doesn't need to burn off a bunch of energy off leash—well, you lucked out, in a sense. But a lot of folks think that's what they're getting when they bring home the dog, and are woefully unprepared for the rainbow of alternatives that can arise with owning any animal, really, but especially ones that might come from early developmental trauma. Like people, they need healing and resources.

Dog training can take a lot of time and effort, but working with reactive dogs can be near a full time job, and a lot of shelters/agencies don't provide adoptees with any resources to deal with reactivity. I feel like there should be a mandatory 4 hour video series every dog owner needs to watch, whether they adopt or purchase from a breeder, but particularly if there are signs of maladaptive behavior in the dog they wish to adopt.

I've seen countless young people go from coming home excited with a new family member to being stressed out realizing only after the fact what they committed to.

@roman_k As a former shelter employee, I want you to know that you are not the bad guy in this situation. I'm disgusted by how you were treated. I would have thanked you for putting in such a sincere effort to make things work. I also would have been grateful that you brought them back to us so we could keep trying to find the right home.

I'm proud of you for recognizing that this particular dog wasn't right for you. You deserve to find a dog who better suits your lifestyle. I'm sorry you were treated so poorly.

@roman_k They told you the part they didn't tell you the first time when you handed the dog back. They knew this dog is not rehomeable. If they cared about you as a human being they wouldn't have handed him to you.