Dog toy annihilators: how do y’all find a toy the won’t demolish

@mjones66 Try Tuffy. My two (Beagle mix and Boxer mix) destroy every toy within minutes although the fire hose toys last an hour. They have had the pig and giraffe ones for over a year and they are just beginning to get a small tear in one of the ears.

@mjones66 My dogs love the darn tough dragons and dinosaurs. But it’s a lottery for how long they will last. Can be months, can be two minutes. We bought a butt load of them when they were on sale. They all tend to take them to scraps and shreds, but that part can take a good bit. I’d say we have to throw one away every 3 months as there really isn’t much left. But those are the ones they like. Can’t get them into anything else.

@mjones66 KONG WABA. MY LITTLE MAN IS ONE YEAR AND 3 MONTHS OLD RED HEELER HIS NAME IS TIGGER BUT HIS NICKNAME IS PIRANHA. HIS FAVORITE TOY IS THE WABA BY KONG. NOW SINCE EARLY SPRING I JUST BOUGHT THE FIFTH ONE THAT HE'S GONE THROUGH BUT AS LONG AS HE'S NOT LEFT ALONE FOR MORE THAN 10 MINUTES HE'S PERFECTLY FINE WITH IT. I WISH I COULD POST VIDEOS ON HERE CUZ I SWEAR UP AND DOWN IN A PREVIOUS LIFE HE WAS A BULL RIDER. HE SLINGS IT BACK AND FORTH AND YOU HEAR THUMP DUMP DUMP WHILE THE SAME TIME HE'S SPITTING AROUND AND AROUND AND AROUND AND AROUND AND AROUND. ALSO NERF HAS GLOW IN THE DARK BALLS THEY'RE HEAVY DUTY SILICONE RUBBER BALLS. THEY ARE THE ONLY BALLS THAT HE HAS NOT CHEWED UP.

@mjones66 My chewer loves the Chuck-it squeaker balls. They are the only toy she can’t destroy. The Kongs that you stuff with food are great, but my dog has destroyed other Kong toys, as well as other brands that advertise as for heavy chewers. I can’t give her any soft toys or tennis type balls as she destroys them almost immediately, and will eat them.

@mjones66 Bear in mind she will be teething at that age too. Get hard and soft things with a variety of textures she can gnaw at to help her big teeth come though. Solid rubber toys seem to last my Mal pretty well, Kongs and she has a rubber bone thats lasted ages.

@mjones66 It's impossible. Just find appropriate toys and award them sparingly according to your budget. A highly destructive and curious dog should be encouraged on such toys, so they can be safety destruct on such things to release their energy, rather than taking them out your furniture or clothing.

The energy will fade with time. Keep offering healthy chewing alternatives and time will reveal all the effort and investment you put into the dog. Good luck, my friend.

@mjones66 There is a balance between durable enough to not be destroyed and not too durable as to damage teeth and gums. As a puppy all toys should be treated as consumables, most have a label/warning saying to supervise pets playing with the toy.

Personal experience, the black kong toys are super durable and I’ve discovered a brand called playology that seems like they have quality products.

@mjones66 Pretty much any dog can destroy pretty much any toy if you let them just sit there and gnaw on it. Don’t do that. Use toys to play, and give them appropriate stuff to chew on, like a bone or bully stick, or rawhide or whatever. Letting them just gnaw and chew toys to death primes them to destroy your stuff.

@mjones66 Kong has a line of toys for tough chewers but you might just have to accept the fact that toys will not survive until your dog is older. The chewing and destroying is normal at this age. Be grateful she is destroying toys and not your home.

Back