Dog toy annihilators: how do y’all find a toy the won’t demolish

mjones66

Our 3 month old puppy is definitely in their chewing phase so we bought some of the tuff brand toys. We got a toy that was an 8 on their tuff scale and she destroyed the legs in 15 minutes. I don’t really know what toys to get that she won’t destroy. Any help appreciated.

@mjones66 My dog loves soft and squeaky toys. She will destroy them in minutes. We’ve tried the rubbery ones and she’s not interested at all. I buy a lot of the multi packs from Costco and have come to the conclusion that this will just be a part of her routine. We bring out a new toy every week or so. She truly loves tearing them apart and removing all the stuffing!

@trustjesus13 Honestly yeah, I've been really impressed with the Super Chewer boxes. My dog lives to chomp but also gets bored easily, and the super chewer solves both of those things. They still don't last forever, but they put up a fight at least.

@mjones66 Your best bet is rubber toys like Kongs.

My dog only likes plush squeaky toys. The only time he likes other things is if food is involved. He's actually gotten better as he's gotten older. He used to demolish toys within a couple of days. Now most of his toys last a couple of months, even with rough playing. The quality makes a difference too. Thicker material lasts longer with him.

@inconstantdoubt Yeah the black kongs or the glow in the dark chuck-it are the only toys my dog can’t destroy in a day. I would pay a decent penny for an indestructible softer toy for my dog to chew/cuddle with.

@mjones66 My girl has different categories of toy: rubbery-type squeakers and balls (the dollar store has a textured ball that squishes nicely and feels good in her mouth, and lasts about a year) for comfort-chewing. Ancient sticks and cardboard boxes she sneaks to DESTROY. Cotton ropes for tug-of-war. And a couple of big-standard, Toys-R-Us-type stuffies to love on. She doesn’t chew the stuffies, she carries them and licks them and nurtures them. (Until they spring a leak. Then they have to be taken away, because she obsessively removes their stuffing. Repairs don’t work. She re-opens the hole to clean them out again.)

@mjones66 My dogs have liked specific toys and treasured them.

A ball we took to the dog park most often is one.

Toys my friends have brought over as a surprise are also longer lasting (probablybecause I didn't give them to them). One of them isnt even really a dog toy, its a normal stuffie. But my one dog favors it and its lived for a couple years now when normally they can also shred a toughie toy.

I also sew some of the lesser damaged stuff. Which helps them realize the longevity maybe.

@mjones66 Can't post images of one aside from kong and certain non rubbery ball my toy poodle has left
Also saw a few puzzle toys that seem ok can put treat in. Some stuff people recommend for chewers aren't safe though. One that is quite safe i know the name off is called pupsticle haven't tried, you can also try lickmat with just a little single ingredient peanut butter. Loofah is edible toy.

@mjones66 The toys that don't have the fluffy filling last us a long time. My little girl tears apart toys in minutes if they are stuffed, but the crinkly toys have lasted us years.

@mjones66 Jolly soccer ball, West Paw topl. Kong stuffies last longer than other stuffies. As they learn bite inhibition from you,
they can also learn to be gentle to their toys. If you can afford it a piece of real lamb skin because they can shred it and the pieces are still valuable toys. All my dog's favorite toy were pieces of lamb skin.

@qwertyuiopasdfghjklzxcvbn I have two jolly balls, the one with the rope and the one with the handle, after 2-3 years, the rope one is one giant piece and the handle has been chewed off the other. I play soccer with it and my dog turned out to be a damn good goalie

Back