Do you think it’s cruel to muzzle?

@ftesseneer Our comb is fine, he just doesn’t like it when it tugs. I wouldn’t like the brush because of the wire teeth either but it’s a highly recommended professional grooming slicker brush. I can tell it’s the sensation of his fur being tugged on that he doesn’t like, and I don’t think we’ll escape that no matter the brush.

@jools1981 Chiming in as an owner, I always tell new salons if they feel like they need to muzzle him to do so (but please call me if he really is acting up and I can come get him). My dog is muzzle trained and I even offer to leave his muzzle there if they prefer to use it. So far, he’s never needed it anyway.

I feel like groomers and the vet are pretty surprised when I offer to muzzle or proactively do so. They always ask if he’s ever bitten - he has not, but today will not be that day. I don’t want him so stressed he feels he needs to bite, but I also don’t want a bite on his record so do what you need to feel safe.

@childman “I don’t want a bite on his record” I love that, I try to explain that to people all the time. (Unless otherwise told or noted) I usually start w/o a muzzle, if they are putting off signs/vibes that things can go sideways I will muzzle. I tell clients it’s for THEIR(dog) protection and MINE.

I had a GSD and people would ask if she bites (she never has) I’d say “she never has but she has teeth” meaning..she’s a dog and has potential, but she never has or tried but you just don’t know.

@kyeshamblin My dog has anxiety/is reactive and he is also arthritic so pain is a factor too. He’s typically good as gold for vets and groomers - he just becomes really compliant and wants it done as quick as possible - but if they’re getting bad vibes or are concerned, by all means, muzzle.

We go to a vet practice with more than one vet so we never know who we will see. Usually they are women, but a couple of times we’ve had a man. The first time he saw that vet, my guy was staring daggers at him and we muzzled as a precaution. He ended up being fine and settled in, and when we’ve seen him since he’s been fine too, but I’m always going to play it safe. It’s kind of a bummer because they tend to be really cautious about asking to muzzle him and I’m sure people get really upset about having their dogs muzzled.

@jools1981 No

Tools are tools. It’s how you use them that matters. Desensitize the dog to the muzzle before you put it on him and it’s fine. Far superior to getting bit. Or eating poo.

Avoiding confrontations is always going to be the best move.

“Cruel” would be putting the dog in a position where it likely can bite… like grooming… then seeing it put to sleep for “aggression”. I’ve seen owners euthanize their animals over far less.

@jools1981 I think it depends on the dog. Normally I try to go as long as possible before muzzling, as do my coworkers - because some dogs aggression can be further exacerbated by the muzzle, and it just generally feels I guess polite to give them a chance first? But I also know some dogs whose aggression is lessened by the muzzle. So I think it’s situational - but I don’t necessarily think the act of muzzling itself is cruel or traumatic.

Edit: I say that as someone who works in grooming and is also the owner of an aggressive dog

@jools1981 I alway work with the owners on that. I’ve groomed some dogs who are muzzle trained, who are aggressive without it but do well with it. I’ve also groomed dogs who are worse with a muzzle. If it is unexpected aggression, I use an e collar.

@jools1981 By ecollar they mean cone. I do the same thing as them when it comes to "unpredictable" or very aggressive dogs, as a muzzle would just work a lot of them up more and make the whole thing harder (dependent on the individual dog). If it's something where they are handling sensitive etc cone makes more sense and is also pretty safe for the person grooming

Back