flack for muzzle training.

@rakhuwin8i Our neighbor has one. When they first got her, she was sweet and wanted to play - to the point it was hard for them to recall her. Since she's been fixed, she's like a different dog. Any time she sees anyone outside in our yard, she's aggressive barking and has charged up to the property line as if to attack.

Thankful she's better at recall now, but still worrying.

@cooljay A golden attacked a car I was riding in. My friend mentioned the neighbor's dog was a problem, but I'd never seen any dog ... much less a golden ... try to savage a vehicle. Like, it was slamming the bumper and trying to garb hold of it.

@cooljay I feel like a lot of the people giving me crap are actually people who didn’t put a lot of effort into training their dogs 😭 but I also feel bad judging someone on the internet.

But… if they had put effort/research they would know muzzle training is a good thing to do?? I don’t know.

We have a neighbor whose golden is incredibly kind/well-trained and the owner was SO nice to us after our dog straight tried to eat him (while muzzled!!!), which influenced our decision.

But, yes, it seems that sub does not recognize any breed and any dog can be reactive or aggressive…

@hyperionlight If, and I hate to say it, your dog was ever injured, sick, or just incredibly scared then whoever is attending to him might muzzle him regardless. It would be less stressful, I imagine, if he was comfortable with a muzzle beforehand.

I muzzle my dog at every vet visit even if it's just a check up because it's a small waiting room and we've had issues with owners who cannot contain their dogs. Plus there's cats and birds and all other sorts of pets. It makes the whole thing way less stressful.

@wollwerth That’s exactly how I see it too—I’d rather him be comfortable than not in an already stressful situation! if it’s never needed, then great, but if it is, we’ll have that tool available and know he’ll be okay.

my plan is to do one vet visit (or a “happy” visit) with the muzzle just so he knows it’s okay to wear it there! but unless he genuinely needs it there I don’t think he’ll wear it at the vet.

@hyperionlight My dog was fine at the vet's until he got a bad cut that needed stitches and it was during the height of covid so I couldn't go in with him. Now he nips at the vet when they try to touch him. Luckily, after they told me he growled a little during that visit, I started muzzle training immediately and now he absolutely loves his muzzle. He runs to cram his face in it whenever I pull it out because it means great treats. I keep one in my car in case we are ever in an accident and he needs help and we practice regularly so he doesn't associate it with the vet. I've even practiced other people putting it on him so he doesn't think it's weird if someone other than me wants to put it on him.

I think what you are doing is responsible. Also, I could see a lot of people being interested in doing this kind of training. People invest in training their dogs to do useless shit (sit pretty! speak! rollover!) all the time, why not something that could come in handy?

@mcv222 I think it’s the responsible thing too! I was just so shocked at how I was attacked on the GR sub for even mentioning it. Like how dare I associate the breed with a muzzle?!

My partner and I both agree it’s better to have him muzzle trained BEFORE he needs it rather than after the fact.

My pit needed a muzzle from day 1, but we weren’t aware of what reactivity was until 6 months in. I wish we had muzzle trained him from day 1 of adoption! And wish his previous owner had muzzle trained him as a puppy. I

@hyperionlight I didn't see the point in crate training my dog...until I was told he needs hip surgery & therefore crate rest for 8 weeks! I am definitely feeling the "better to have it & not need it" rn 😂

@ovixs90 My sister though her lab mix was ok roaming loose in the house while the humans were out. Turns out the lab mix was mostly behaved because her recently-passed older/bullying sister kept her in line.

They crate trained their husky mutt from early on after adopting her as an adult, and she loves her crate because it’s her ‘treat space.’

@ovixs90 I was so grateful when my current rescue came to us crate trained and with positive associations with his crate. He’s literally napping in there with the door wide open right now lol

@hyperionlight I adopted a senior dog with chronic ear infections. It was so hard/impossible muzzle training him because we had to immediately take him to regular vet appointments and put medicine in his ears daily. It was an absolute nightmare that also made it necessary to fully sedate him for far more vet appointments than was ideal (he once had a seizure). He was the least aggressive dog I’ve ever owned, truly an angel dog, but my then-partner had to hold him down more than once when I was putting in his ear medicine and he bit me. It wasn’t his fault, he was scared and in pain. All this to say, the most ideal situation is to muzzle train long before you need it. It would have made my dog’s and our lives so much easier if he had been muzzle trained earlier in life.

@hyperionlight The people on that GR sub seem to be horribly misinformed about dog’s behaviors and training. It’s unfortunate but so many GR and golden doodle owners think their dogs are genetically superior, perfect, and therefore naturally need little to no training. When I worked in pet care it was incredibly annoying dealing with those types of owners. Their dogs would either be completely untrained and very high energy jumping, mouthing, etc or would be reactive in some form and the owner would always be in denial trying to blame the staff, including trainers who had been training dogs for their entire lives.

@ernurse4 That’s the feeling I was getting from the sub too… tons of cute pictures but lots of “goldens are perfect and can do no wrong!”

Luckily, after going through what we did, my partner and I have become well acquainted with the importance of training, socialization, etc. etc. and never want to be in a situation where our dog is ill equipped to handle something. We’re so excited to welcome this new puppy but also want to set him up for success!

@hyperionlight In 2021, bite-statistics were released of Berlin, Germany of 2020.

209 were from mixed breeds, 56 GSD, 51 unknown breed and 29 were by Golden Retrievers.

The breeds that are considered dangerous everywhere and in some countries, including Germany, restricted or banned? Out of all dogs, 36 bite incidents only.

2021 statistics of Berlin, now I'll only mention Golden Retrievers.
  • Cases in which humans were slightly injured: 22
  • Cases in which humans were severly injured: 3
  • Cases in which only other dogs were injured: 28
So people who think Goldens would never bite, they can bite. Even the best adjusted Golden can bite if pushed too much and warning signs are ignored. Statistics prove the

Muzzle training your dog is good, tehre might be situations out of your control, such as at the vet and the dog is in a lot of pain and starts to bite because of the pain.

You're doing right by your dogs. If properly muzzle trained, it's not cruel or anything like that and serves a purpose.

Edit: If you need advice on muzzle training, types and size fitting, r/muzzledogs has people who are gonna help! It's where I regularly also comment on to give assistance + have received help myself for my pooch.

@hyperionlight After having a reactive dog I will muzzle train any dog I ever have now, I have another older dog and we muzzle trained him also at same time even though he is a sweetie, you never know as they get older or sick if they might become more aggressive.