Do vets always sedate dogs for a chest x-ray?

@stevish74 If she has trouble breathing, it’s much better for her to be sedated than to panic with the restraint and get into respiratory failure. Also, the images will be much better with the sedation.

@stevish74 No, you are not allowed in the x-ray room. There are strict regulations hospitals need to follow regarding radiation exposure and the only individuals allowed to be part of the procedure wear special monitoring badges for their individual person.

Sedating for a relatively difficult x-ray like the chest is pretty standard. We need your dog to be as still as possible and the sedation makes it easier to manipulate her body for good shots. An obese dog with respiratory issues would more than likely be very uncomfortable without sedation.

@jadedjumpman I stayed with my dog once when he had a stomach X-ray and I’ve always sat with my son when he’s had X-rays and cat scans at the children’s hospital. They just put a vest on me. I can’t imagine a vets office would be stricter

@tiffany012 I've worked vet med in both the US and Canada and in both cases all staff have required dosimeters that get sent in regularly to be tracked.

It is an absolute joke that they'd allow a client to assist with an x-ray because it's a huge liability.

@jadedjumpman I have assisted with my dog's x-rays twice. On both occasions I was given protective wear that the staff also uses. We also took a chest x-ray and found the reason for coughing to be a chronic bronchitis commonly found in older dogs. It probably depends on the country and the clinic. We are in Finland so the clinic must follow relatively strict regulations and this is still quite common. In my experience, the vet has assessed the dog and its personality and then decided whether or not they are likely to be ok without sedation. My older dog is easy and was x-rayed awake, but my younger one would not have behaved as well...

@jadedjumpman This is not a joke, we do that too in case the dog goes too wild without the owner. It's an exception for sure but pressing down a "rabid" GSD without owner is a liability for both us and the dog if he throws around too much. Happens very rarely tho

@jadex It 100% should not be an exception. If the dog is that worked up, sedate. For literally the safety of everyone involved. Especially that stressed af dog. Don't pin down an already anxious dog, like wtf? It's absolutely a liability to have a client involved in xrays.

@pkumom2016 Yeah it is, that is also why I stated it to be a very rare exception. We also do sedate if we know that the patient is gonna be problematic but this isn't always a viable solution. Especially emergencies on the weekend

@jadedjumpman I mentioned this above, but I've helped with my dog getting a chest xray twice at my vet. No dose meters or whatever, I just wore a lead gown.

You say 'hospital' here, and maybe all of what you say is true in a hospital, but not in local vet clinics. I agree that it's probably dangerous, but speaking in absolutes when you don't know absolutely the truth is also dangerous to the idea of you being taken seriously.

@dewayne777 "Yeah it's probably dangerous but they let me do it so you're wrong"

Unless they're severely understaffed or incompetent and don't care about the gold standard of care they wouldn't let a client hold their own animal for an x-ray. That's literally what vet assistants are for.

Should’ve looked it up before commenting. You can’t stay with your animal but can stay with your child. This is just another cash grab for the vet forcing you to pay for sedation.

@4606 Staying with your animal for a fraction of a second’s worth of radiation will in no way endanger your life, hence the reason you can stay with your child. Dosimeters are only required for staff because they’re around the radiation daily. This is a cash grab and you can downvote it all you want.

Back