[Discussion] Do you think that dogs know when they’re getting close to the end of their lives?

@slippinginfaith In these cases, instead of worrying, do everything you know to give her the best life you know how.

That way when the day comes, the pain you feel will be countered by knowing you made her life the most amazing she could have lived.

Just remember: If something is painful to lose, that means it was amazing to have.

Best of days to you and your pup.

@hollygrail101 Yes, Filbert was a happy loving dog.I often see posts here from people wondering if it's time to put their dog down. I never comment because it is such a personal issue. But for me, it isn't my call, the dog must decide when his life has become too painful to continue. It's the look in their eyes beyond the need for help they have when they get into trouble with a skunk or something or get hurt. This is a very final look somehow replacing pain and despair with resignation.

I remember the that terrible day when my dog Dave was run over by the UPS truck in my driveway. I got to him and knew he could not live. He looked up at me as if saying, "please help me" somehow believing that I could. This was not resignation but pain and desperation.

Now no one gets past the new gate and I've trained my two BCs to head for the house whenever anyone arrives unannounced. I never want to have what happened to Dave happen to another dog.

@everyblessing123 Yes, Filbert was amazing. But every dog I've ever known has been amazing in their own way. Each in their turn has enriched my life immeasurably, and I hope I theirs.
There was a time after Sam died and the pups were not yet weened that the house was empty of dogs. It was amazing how forlorn my world suddenly became. No dog to greet me in the morning for breakfast, no dog to run tail wagging overjoyed when I came home. But the pups filled that space immediately. I guess that's how it's supposed to be.

@fakkelsey1 I’ve only been without dog for a few years of my life. We have two dogs now who are both old, as well as a toddler. We talk about not getting another dog for a few years after our dogs both pass, but that dogless void is so loudly deafening and sad, I doubt we will last a month.

@everyblessing123 What about your toddler? Kids absolutely love dogs. And dogs, most, love kids and would readily lay down their lives to protect them.

Also, you've probably given this some thought, but you don't want your two dogs to pass at home with your child near. Adults have enough trouble dealing with the loss of a cherished dog pall kids are often unable to deal with the trauma. I know I carry the loss of my first dog as a little boy to me to this day.