[Discussion] Do you think that dogs know when they’re getting close to the end of their lives?

revincentiii

We have a 13 y.o. (we think) pit bull mix. For her whole life she has slept on dog beds on our main floor. However, for the past few weeks she’s chosen to sleep upstairs where all of our bedrooms are, in the hallway on the worn carpet - seemingly much less comfortable than her beds.

She has typical old dog problems (bumps, hanger-downs and joint problems), but she hasn’t been sick. As I said, this started a few weeks ago, and the frequency has been increasing since then. This morning I had the thought of, “What if she’s sleeping upstairs to so that she’s closer to all of us in case she passes during the night?”

What are your thoughts?

Edit: After 7 hours: Thank you all so much for sharing your thoughts on this, and I love that so many of you shared your personal stories of your own dogs and other pets. I’ve read every single one and I don’t remember ever crying this much! A couple of people have suggested moving a bed upstairs to where she’s sleeping and I will try that. Thank you again, it means so much to me!

Edit 2: Thought I’d share this:

@revincentiii One of my dogs did the same thing when he was around 10, he went from sleeping on the living room couch to sleeping under my bed. In his case I think it was more about feeling insecure at night than death approaching. His hearing and eyesight had gotten bad, so he probably felt safer sleeping close to me. He lived another 5 years btw.

@revincentiii My dogs (and a friend's dog) have all done the thousand yard stare out to sea, while lying on the beach in their last days, and it looks like a kind of peaceful acceptance; taking leave of their happy place, remembering the good times there.

@asnyder My dog did that. He would sit on our deck in our backyard and look out to the fields with the cows behind our house. I wish I let him stay outside longer because he loved that. We had to out him down on Feb 10.

Love you forever, Jackie boy 💙

@revincentiii Her change in sleeping spot could be anything and not directly related to her age. As for whether or not dogs know they are approaching the end of their days, maybe.

My rescue loved to fish, spending every day wading in the shallows, occasionally snapping at minnows. One day when he was old and grey he didn't fish but came up to me where I was taking a picture of some forest flowers--sat down right in front of me. I asked him, "Do you want me to take your picture?" Never did that before. So I took a couple of shots. Next day he dropped over dead or rather died at the vets where I rushed him when he collapsed. Coronary. When I look at the pictures it seems he is saying goodbye. IDK

On the other hand, dogs tend to live in the present. It's one of the many things they can teach us. As my dogs got older, they got lame and sickly but never seemed to pout or appear anxious about it. It is what it is seems to be their attitude. My sheppard/husky could hardly walk and fell down often. I would help him get up, for which he seemed grateful, but his attitude seemed mostly chagrin, embarrassed for being lame, give you a big goofy grin. Eventually, he because increasingly in constant pain and nearly nightly seizures. He was no longer happy at all. It was time to say goodbye. When he was passing he looked up at me with what I can only describe as gratitude.

@fakkelsey1 No need to make me cry..
but seriously this is so sad. It's got me thinking about how sad imma be when my dog passes. She's 1 at the moment but time is flying with her and I would be devastated if anything happened to her. How do I stop feeling this way? I want to enjoy the time with her, not worry about her when she's perfectly healthy

@slippinginfaith You've still got a decade at least. That's heaps of time in both of your lives. Life is full of risks and problems, don't let thinking about the potential negatives of the future take away from the positives that you will experience today.

@slippinginfaith On the flip side though, don't take that potential decade for granted. Realize how short and precious life is, and make sure you show your friend how much you love them and give them the best you can

@djdiener I used to think this about my Mercedes, how devastated I would be for years after she went, it was 3 years ago this may, but what I really remember is how relieved I was when she went home. She was in pain, it was obv towards the end, and I really really really didn’t want to put her down. I would sit by her and scratch her head and let her know it was ok to go if she needed to. Told her over and over how much I loved her and that I would be ok. I am sobbing writing this so idk if it will help. But in the end you will just remember the amazing bestfriend you made and your Journey together. Now everyone go kiss your dogs.

@slippinginfaith I sometimes feel it too with my two BCs. They will be four next month. Still young but they age so fast. One minute their unstoppable chewing machines and the next they are . . . Don't want to even think about that.But we make a deal with our beloved pals, we know we will have to bury them someday but until then we will try our best to make their time with us as alive and vibrant, and loving as possible. And when it's their time we will let them go knowing that they lived a life so full and happy as most people never know if they live to be a hundred.

I read that the Romans built elaborate tombs for their dogs. On one is inscribed, "The sorrow I know carrying you to your grave is as great as the joy I felt the day I carried you home as a puppy."