Corgi intact male, will future studding change behavior 🤷‍♀️

blessed2oo

Hey all, so I have really sweet year old corgi. I know he’s happy and health and would make a great stud b/c he’s handsome and well behaved. I was curious to hear others experiences with corgi males and behaviors changing once they have mated...assuming changes happen. I have read up a bit and feel like it’s a 50/50 shot of him changing behavior/personality.
Thanks

@blessed2oo He will not make a great stud just because he is “handsome and well behaved”. Is he health tested? Has he won any titles or competed at all? Do you have papers from his parents and grandparents to prove he is a purebred and well-bred Corgi? Is he within standard? There’s nothing wrong with thinking about studing out your dog, but these are all serious questions that should be answered. If he doesn’t fit a great bill of health through a wide variety of genetic health tests, then you can’t guarantee any pups he produces will be as healthy and happy as he is.

Breeding can be expensive, do you know how much you would charge for an appointment? How would you screen potential dams for him? If either has health issues, how will you make sure that they are compatible? How would you pay for or divide up transportation?

When it comes to breeding, it’s a dog to dog basis for any kind of personality change, but you should definitely wait until he’s 2 before you start to look more into it. It allows the dog to fully mature and gives you time to get all his health tests in, some of which require him to be 2 or there abouts.

I apologize if this comes off as intense or if you have already thought of these all, I’ve just seen way to many people breed their dogs that shouldn’t have, and the puppies are the ones that suffer for it. If you have any other questions feel free to ask :)

Replying to quote another great response from a similar question.

“Good questions to ask yourself when breeding your animal are: 1.) what will breeding this dog do for the betterment of the breed? 2.) have you obtained any titling either in conformation, sports, working titles etc? 3.) has the dog had and passed all necessary health testing for the breed? (OFA hip/elbow X-rays, DM testing, etc) If the answer to any of those questions is no, or you are breeding because you have always wanted to, I strongly discourage you from doing so. There is plenty of BYB [dogs] already in existence, and there doesn’t need to be more It’s always good to ask yourself why you want to breed. Only breed for the betterment and love of the breed.

If you are interested in breeding dogs, I encourage you to get involved with local breed clubs and reputable breeders (those who only breed dogs with health testing, titles, etc) and do as much research as you can on it. Never breed a dog without health tests or titles specific to that breed. Remember- breeding when done responsibly is not profitable and if anything you will lose money.”

@harliee57 No worries about intensity of response, I respect people who have experience and are ethical/moral about how they approach breeding any breed. And yes, I just got results back for genetic health test our vet ran for me and I’m happy to report he’s clear of all major corgi issues, granted if I was to stud in future I would get a better test to be sure he doesn’t carry genes that may pass on to future offspring. I do realize the dam would also have to not be a carrier of genetic problems if he was a carrier. Also, I wouldn’t dream of breeding him right now as he’s just turned 1. His parents I have papers from, but no titles from them that I can find. Mind you he was rehomed with me as his previous owner could no longer take care of him & his brother (litter mate) and there wasn’t too much info given to me from the person who surrendered him.
& long story short is yes, all the questions you have posed I have asked myself and am no where near breeding and making that choice. Honestly I was more so curious about behavior changes and if this would even be a worth while experience as he is a pet and part of my family, not a show or champion show dog. Hope that makes sense. Thanks for the reply & advice!

@blessed2oo No worries! If you’re looking for more fun activities to do with him, there is always obedience and agility competitions! They can be a very fun way to play and bond with your dog, and it allows you to prove him out a bit if you’re not looking specifically to show.

Embark is a good DNA testing service but can only look in his past 3 generations for his breed, but they also do some health testing. I don’t think they test for anything specific but it’s a nice overall test, plus if any of his doggie relatives were tested though their company, you can find them and get in contact with them if they allow, there’s a privacy setting you can switch so no one can see your dog if that’s what you’d prefer. It would be a long shot, but you might be able to find out more about his parents and grandparents history.

I wish you the best of luck if you decide to go for it, and I hope you and your boy have many happy and healthy years!

@blessed2oo I don't think it's generally a good idea to breed dogs with an unknown history, but to answer your question, I don't think that it changes a whole lot day-to-day, but they can be a little more excited about bitches in season and might notice them more when they're in the general vicinity.