Tomorrow I take our reactive Corgi back to the breeder and my wife and I are devastated. This is our story

@monk58 Frankly, there's children that SHOULD be "rehomed" but sadly, sometimes tragically, they aren't. Yes, we bring baggage. I'm a 30+ year licensed veterinary technician. Boy, have I got baggage! But a lot of that baggage is from truth which leads me to trust my gut instincts on a given situation. I've seen way too much to not.

@sacredword Hey OP

I would be at peace with my decision

The breeder sounds committed to the dog for its life so no worries there, I would think with enough outlets she is likely to settle and mature with other dogs.

Its not really anyones fault but corgis can be a handful and your house sounds like too much is going on and that they need some pretty focused training and routines

I would put off having a new dog until your child is significantly older. In the UK rescues won't rehome to house holds with children under 10.. 12 in many cases as well

I hope you enjoy your baby and her starting to move

The corgi pup.. it is heart wrenching but you are doing your best to be safe and find her a lasting lifelong home and you are also looking after your child

It will all be fine

Sad though it is

@sacredword This sounds like a bad breeder. Honestly, with corgis becoming a fad like 101 Dalmatians, it doesn't surprise me to see issues like that popping up. If she's had multiple dogs returned, she's not breeding well tempered dogs. I would steer clear of corgis and do your research and find a good quality lab, bernese, golden, or cavalier. All are excellent and reliable around children, even take a chance on a well tempered rescue. But its not your fault she was likely poorly bred, you tried but got fooled by a breeder that presents well. (It happened to me with my first lab, she's beautifully tempered and sweeter than frosting, but she's energetic bordering on neurotic. We live and learn, you did great with her and you'll be excellent parents to any pup you choose (if you choose).

@tiavina Absolutely no breed is standardly unstable and aggressive as c is described. Even Guardian breeds should be well tempered when introduced properly. Working breeds, especially herding dogs, should be well tempered and trustworthy around livestock. C is not. She's neurotic and food aggressive, which are both traits that should disqualify her from being a well bred stock dog. I have nothing against corgis. They're just currently being overbred, and it's going to be very difficult to find a well bred one right now. And especially with small children, I don't necessarily recommend a herding dog. If they're older, it's easier to have them assist in redirecting the behavior. Otherwise, it'll just scare a toddler.

@rrico I'm not sure how you think cattle dogs become well tempered around livestock, it certainly isn't by allowing them to do as they please hoping they'll come good because the farmer gives them treats.
A dog breed as you describe wouldn't have the drive to be a working dog.
I agreed that it's best they give the dog up, luckily it has a good home to go to.

@tiavina Lol, yeah, no, a stable dog can absolutely have drive. Sincerely, please educate yourself on what makes a well-rounded dog. I'd recommend decoding your dog from the American College of Veterinary behaviorists.

@rrico I wouldn't take an organisation seriously that labels surveys as science and takes a blanket approach to dog training.
Please educate yourself upon the questionable data that is being claimed as science by them.

@tiavina And what are your sources? Seriously, dude, you're delusional, It sounds like you're just trying to hold onto alpha theory and forcing your dog into submission because of old times sakes. Only incapable trainers fall back on such methods. Buying into a quick fix to a problem that requires months or years of behavioral therapy. But yeah, as you say, use some force, and you can easily cover up the problem. But people that train like that are the ones who get mauled one day. So you do you man, I'd trust a trained veterinary behaviorist over an internet stranger any day.

@rrico I don't need sources, I'm not making claims that aren't backed by results.
I wish there was a too good to be true scientific breakthrough to counter aggression and reactivity.
The science isn't specific for treating problem behaviours, it's for avoiding the development of them.
Maybe, honestly the data they use is questionable.
How do you respect the opinion of a body that claims surveys as science?

Positive works for many things, but positive only to counter aggression?
Assuming the alternative to FF is quick fix is ridiculous, is an efficient method quick fix?
Should we wait years for a dog to hopefully overcome reactivity with treats at 50 feet, drugged to submission, whilst the issue manifests, frustration develops to aggression?
Should we hold dogs hostage to reactivity for years or discard them for not choosing treats?

@rrico Yet I've managed to essentially eliminate reactivity with my rescued heeler. From over 100m, reactive to nearly everything except people to not reacting today despite being followed by a growling, barking Chihuahua and a weird woman laughing about it. Very strange.

Over 99% is positive, it's true that's how you teach a dog. We just mastered rewind, it's now part of our useless tricks for fun repertoire.
Sadly it just doesn't work with dealing with the majority of reactivity, and certainly not the sub 5m zone that most never overcome.

Look up punish or praise Dr Stephanie Yue Cottee, interesting podcast recently.

@sacredword I'm so sorry to hear about your journey with your dog, but you did do the right thing to protect your family from a dog that shouldn't be around babies and gave the dog the best chance to have a less stressful life

@sacredword You’re definitely doing the right thing. You have to keep your baby safe first and foremost, and back with the breeder sounds like the very best place for this dog.

@sacredword You're absolutely doing whats best for C and your family. It is sad that you have to let her go, but this hard decision is the right decision.

Our friends had a corgi with similar issues. He just became more and more aggressive with age. They tried so many trainers, so many levels of training from at-home to boarding. Our friend literally became a dog trainer herself in order to address his issues. Eventually, they, and other family members, sustained too many bites. They loved him so much, but knew that he was too dangerous for their home, too dangerous to rehome, and made the decision for behavioral euthanasia.

I think its really wonderful that the breeder is willing to take C back, and hopefully has a great environment for her to thrive in.

Do not feel guilty, you did everything within your power to make things work, and now you are giving C the best opportunity for a happy life, even if that isn't within your home ❤️

@sacredword The safety of people, especially children, trumps keeping a dog. I will die on this hill. You've done everything possible to keep your pup while also keeping your child safe (and getting mauled in the process). When you adopt a dog you have a responsibility to do right by it, but your highest priority as a parent is to keep your child safe. You made the right call.

@foreverhis84 I don't even want kids plus I am an avid dog lover and even I agree with this statement. No innocent little child should ever have to be worried about being attacked by a reactive dog. It will end poorly for both the child and the dog and could result in death for either. People that keep reactive dogs around children aren't the smartest and on the other side of the coin, people who have mean spirited abusive children around innocent cats or dogs are the absolute worst as well. It's unfair to all involved.