Considering getting a blue heeler, but I’m not sure if we’d be a good fit

aristilis

We have been wanting to get a dog for a while and both my partner and I have experience with dogs of different breeds. We rent a house, with close neighbors and have another loving dog that would benefit from a friend.

The dog we get next would be mine so I want to make the right decision. My partner and I are overweight but working on losing weight(diet and exercise). We mostly want a dog for our dog but I would like a companion for myself while my partner is away. I love lap dogs and cute animals.

I have been lazy the past year and I’m working on myself to be better. I would rather fail myself than a living creature, rehoming is not a decision I want to have to make so I need to make the right decision. Please help.

Edit: thank you all for your comments. I will not be getting the ACD. I wanted to make an informed decision and I’m glad so many people commented. I appreciate everything everyone had to say.

Update: We have adopted a shelter pup and she has been settling well. We were told she was a lab/collie and that a DNA test was done. Well, she is a mix of ACD, chihuahua, German Shepard, Labrador retriever and foxhound. I found it so funny because all of these were breeds we were considering 😂

@aristilis If you’re looking for an active lap dog, get a lab. If you want a dog that will make you go on multiple 6 mile walks a day and you have a lot of space for them to run, get a heeler. ACDs are super smart, fun and very sweet, loving dogs but they are WAY more work than most people realize.

@aristilis Everyone’s different but I’d say don’t get a dog that’s dependent on you changing your current lifestyle. Make the necessary changes first. If for some reason you guys aren’t able to meet his/her needs for exercise and stimulation, you guys will have a dog that’s ill-suited for your lifestyle and it might cause resentment, which the dog doesn’t deserve and didn’t ask for. A dog like this means no days off- doesn’t matter if you’re sick, if you have other commitments, if you’re sore and not up to it, etc. If your dog is motivation to change your lifestyle, then commit to 6+ months of what you’d need to do for him/her before you get the dog. Not the other way around.

Also like another comment or mentioned, my heeler is also not a cuddler or lap dog but more of a “I want to be touching you during chill time” kinda dog.

@aristilis They say heelers are velcro dogs - mine follows me everywhere and seldom lets me leave his sight, but he is not a snuggler. Not sure if that's mine or most cattle dogs. They are VERY active. Be prepared for lots of walks and play time in the yard. Herding balls are great! :)

So I guess the biggest thing is ... Are you prepared to up your own activity level?

@aristilis So why would you like a heeler? They are very busy physically, but more importantly they are a Lot mentally. They tend to bark loudly and invent games with themselves, and if they do not have an outlet for that physical and mental energy, they will make one.

I would honestly worry a lot less about your weight level when contemplating a heeler--after all, anyone can throw a ball!--and a lot more about your interest in working with your dog to do some kind of sport, like agility, or teaching the dog to do tricks, and so forth.

What kind of companionship feels good to you? What kinds of other dogs does your current dog enjoy, and what sort of dog is it? Do you like dogs that will push back at you when you ask them to do things or invent their own games?

Additionally, my experience is that they're not actually all that cuddly. They are very interested in what you're doing and some will drape themselves all over you, but my experience with mine has been that she flits over, licks my ear, and then bounces off to be busy elsewhere in whatever room I'm in. They do get warm.

@soulknight I don’t know, my heeler would always lay right by me, head on my lap. Occasionally he’d test the boundary of being a lap dog. They’re great hiking buddies though, I was in the best shape of my life when he was a pup! But yes, lots of attention and exercise required with these dogs. The reward is worth it though.

@aristilis I agree with what others have said. As someone who felt we were an active family with a large yard, it’s a hard realization that he needs a lot of individual attention. In our yard he only really explores to find a place to poop then is immediately by the door, unless we’re outside. The Velcro holds tight! I’ve had 2 dogs before this, our families have larger dogs, and our ACD is by far the worst cuddler I’ve ever been around. He punches, bites, headbutts, and rolls all crazy. At 2.5 he’s way better than he was as a puppy and the length of our actual cuddle time has lengthened, but at 60lbs of flailing body, cuddling is an adventure. Some days he’s way too much and some days he’s exactly what we wanted in a dog. He and my kid with ADHD are twins, AKA, be ready for a new child.

@aristilis Agreed with multiple commenters here. Personally I think exercise needs -- going out at least 2 hours every day, regardless of weather, and regardless if you are sick or in pain (which the two of us have managed to do so far, but neither of us thinks one of us alone could do it) -- is not even the greatest challenge. The greatest is the training needs.

Herders are more likely than other breeds to be reactive -- sensitive to environments and respond strongly to small stimuli, and likely with a high prey drive -- that means barking, whining, jumping, running off and lunging left and right. Without training they are difficult to live with; with training means you dedicate the time, on top of the exercise needs, to training. Depending on the issues involved it could be a lot of training to manage what basically is their nature and entirely not their fault.

It's not a type of dog that brings peace. It a chaos-bringer. If you like dealing with chaos and find it fun, it's your type of dog; if not, save yourself the exasperation... You may find some other breeds are relatively high energy and require playing with (hence your motivation), without having to deal with the herder characteristics which are sometimes really a pain in the butt. I speak as someone who is really satisfied with my heeler (and put in TONS of work), but without romanticizing it...

@aristilis Absolutely agree with @kathleenloveschrist re: no days off with this kind of dog. I just got over having COVID and luckily on the first day I came down with body aches & chills I asked my neighbors to take Maggie for a walk and luckily they didn’t mind. Also, I have a dog walker for the few days a week that I have to work away from home so she has some social interaction and exercise in the middle of the day. I make sure she gets in a minimum of 4 miles per day for walks/hikes. The only time we don’t hit that mileage is when it’s 10F and below, then we’re only outside for 30 minutes but then we do a lot of indoor play time to keep her stimulated so she doesn’t become stir crazy.

Speaking of awful weather, OP, if you live in an area with inclement weather, be prepared to be able to spend time out in it so they can get enough exercise. We recently had two days of major down-pouring rain at miserable mid 30F temps and today we had a high of 5F - anytime we have horrible weather I have a saying that I always say to Maggie before heading out: “Welp, we have no choice but to go out there cuz the dogs need walks.” Luckily a lot of my backpacking gear works great for inclement dog walking too!

@sincereseeker Yup. My city is full of dogs and normally we see dozens on each walk. And I'd often say to my heeler, while rain drips from my face and I can barely open my eyes, "well the street is empty and I don't see any of your doggy friends, but we are heading to the park still!"

@aristilis As someone who owns a heeler. They need the stimulation. Physical and mental. They love to run and they are escape artists(he doesn’t run away anymore). Also very reactive to other dogs. (Training him)
Some are stubborn and yet Velcro. Idk how to describe that. They want to be with you but yet if you touch them they flip. Did i ever tell you, they are vocal. Kinda like huskies. But Less scream. Just howls.
Bark a lot. Has to in a crate when you are gone or they will destroy your house. They are like toddlers. Always getting into stuff.
Routine is important. Or they freak out.

@aristilis I’d not recommend a cattle dog for any of the things you mentioned. First, IT will pick its owner, not you. Second, they are Velcro dogs but very independent and not a lap dog. Third, they are bred to be working dogs, not pets, so it will be bored unless you are exercising it physically and mentally.
You’ll be better off with a lab, a pittie, or even a rescued mutt. Pitties are huge cuddle bugs and love to love and be spoiled.

@aristilis My ACD is roping me into shape, so I beg to differ. He IS me hobby and we spend at least 2 hours a day active, but no regrets. Best coach there is. Omg he was so sassy today on say 2 of 3 cold snap because he hasn't had enough!