Considering an ACD

renie

So we currently have a standard collie (10) and a border collie (1). I have been considering a friend for the BC- he really wants to play more than the collie can keep up with.

We obviously are fine with some wildness, lol. But I’d like something a little bolder- the BC is delightful, but he’s happier when he has a dog friend to give him some courage.

Generally we do about 5 miles of walks/runs, 30 min of outside play time with a person (we have a fenced yard so they also go out sometimes to just play with each other) and 15-30 min of training. There’s typically someone home, save Wednesday when there’s a period from 1-4 when I’m in the office, partner has left for work and kids aren’t home yet.

Thoughts? We aren’t quite ready just yet- but I’m thinking in the next 6 months to a year.

@renie Freaking send it dude. Of our two current ACDs, one is a frisbee monster who hides injuries so he can keep playing, and the other sleeps 29 hours a day and gets sad if you don’t put a pillow under her head. But she can still run with the best of them if we drag her out of bed. They’re hilarious dogs and I’ve learned that you never know what you’re really gonna get with an ACD, except for laughs and love.

@renie I had Rough Collies,Dutch, Tervuren,English, GSDs, worked with 14 various other herding dogs and have only had ACDs for 14 yrs.,LOVE all herding dogs.

I can only speak of my ACDs and anyone can correct me if their experiences are different, are wary of strangers. Tbh, they are actually herding, working dogs.

My first ACD was a neighbor’s dog. They let him roam as a puppy (he detested their PBT and ran 1/3 mile down the road before I hit the bottom stair of my porch to launch his body between myself and a rattlesnake BEFORE he was my dog(7 months) He NEVER failed me. They moved and asked me to take him. Asked me how I got him to walk on a leash as they never could. I put a leash on his neck and he walked fine.

In other words, they really get VERY attached to their owners. My dogs have faced off with mountain lions, coyotes and dogs 3 times their size. They are 100% poultry safe( I have 8 goats and rare poultry) People have said poultry safe is hard, but these dogs are fine with all animals. I never trained this into them. If I say “This is your baby”, they are ok.

They hold grudges ( human quality I know, but they have some very strong likes and dislikes)

They quit eating to work. They quit frisbee and ball ( end of the 13 hour work day) to make sure everyone is at roost. They can look into a pen a of 40 chickens and tell if someone is not there, and they will not be ok until the chicken is found. Strange, wacky, wonderful and freaky smart. I have enjoyed my time with them.

Best of luck!!

@aleigh2639 The wariness of strangers is my biggest concern. We live in a neighborhood and have older kids- so people are in and out pretty often. Our collie isn’t exactly friendly, but she’s willing to make friends… or ignore you entirely. That’s fine! The BC would welcome in an axe murder- if that person would throw his ball. Anyone willing to throw the ball is his best friend. But dislike of strangers might be a challenge

Perhaps we will look for an adult. Border collies, ACDs and Aussies- and mixes of the same- have had an explosion of popularity around here. I imagine finding a 6-18 month old one that someone got and then realized was way too much wouldn’t be so difficult. That way we could get a feel on how this exact dog would fit.

@renie My friend, I have had herding dogs for 60 years and LOVED my collies. My female ACD is named after my first rough collie. Indeed, they are not the “friendly dog” everyone thinks they are( mine weren’t) They were loving and very protective. Of course, they were much more popular when I was a child and there were outliers, but still they were protective of “their” kids:)

I am NOT saying ACDs can’t work with others, BUT they are capable of being people selective, maybe more than most of the herding dogs I have worked with. You seem like a very reasonable pet owner and I am NOT trying to scare you away, I want to give you an honest evaluation of what I have experienced! I sure hope you keep us UTD! I think any dog you pick will be lucky to be in your family!!

@renie They are the best dogs in the world. You won’t regret it!

My suggestion would be to rescue an adult who you know is good with people. If you’re ever looking - I work with multiple ACD rescues and would be about to help you find a good match!

@renie It sounds like you can handle this. (it's also a great idea with these smart velcro dogs to make time to leave them home alone more often than once a week -- separation anxiety is a very real fear of mine, having been there once!)