Considering a GSD

sherina

Hi! We are looking to add a dog to our family and I am considering a GSD. We have two kids, 3 & 6. We also have two cats, 9 backyard chickens and a 9 year old Australian shepherd/golden mix.

My prior two dogs were Pomeranians, they were my first babies. They both passed away In the last 18 months from CHF complications. I was very deeply bonded to them, and am wondering if GSDs bond deeply to their owners?

This may also seem like a “mean” question, but do GSDs have lots of personality? I have always thought they were nice dogs, but I don’t have firsthand experience with them.

Do they have lots of anxiety? I have learned to not get a working line puppy if it won’t be working, but in general are they anxious dogs? Can they handle different kids and people coming over? Do they do well going out and about? Do they bark a lot? I really don’t want a reactive dog who is nervous around little kids and strangers.

As much as I adored my little dogs, I am also aware that I’m not a single woman in my 20s anymore, and our family might not be a good fit for little dogs right now.

I want a dog that is low reactive, and good with families and other pets. But I also like when dogs have their own special quirks and personalities.

@sherina They bond extremely close with their people and do get extremely anxious. My last GSD was a grumpy boy but our new little girl is a cuddler and loves playing with my 2 Goldens. I cannot recommend another breed more. Plus your children will always have a protector. They’re extremely smart and easy to train and as long as they’re properly socialized they’re absolute sweethearts. Tons of shedding though — levels you wouldn’t believe

@sammyt Agree on the bonding and the rest of what you're saying, don't agree on the anxiousness. Ours has showed little to no sign of any anxiousness.

@tirzah85 I’ve had 3 now and they’ve all had separation anxiety. Granted the first 2 I was their only person and this one it’s just my wife and I

@sherina They need a lot of attention and love. They also need a lot of physical and mental stimulation.
Mine has a lot of personality. Amazing with kids and fits into our family like a really energetic toddler, which is something we wanted. A smart dog with spunk.

They bark, at everything, that’s part of their breed characteristics. In the first 3 years it will need a lot of attention and training.
GSD are not a lazy or easy going dog, they are high input high reward dog. Put in the work and they will be the best companion but if you don’t have the time or energy they will drive you nuts.

@sherina Answering your questions.

“Do GSDs have lots of personality?” There are plenty of videos online for you to check out their “personalities”.

“…if GSDs bond deeply to their owners?” You’re kidding, right? Look up the definition of German Shepherds. Almost every definition will have the word “loyal” in it. Again, go online and look for videos and stories of GSDs.

Do GSDs bark a lot? Yes, they are vocal dogs.

Can they handle different kids and people coming over? Yes, if they’re socialized well from an early age.

There’s a reason why GSDs make great watch/guard dogs…because they’re vocal, and they could be wary of strangers, and they’re protective of their pack/family. They’re in the herding group. Herding group dogs can work all day. They need a lot of exercise.

From what you’ve said, Idk if GSD is the right dog for you. Look into a Lab or some spaniel or

@sherina GSD’s bond deeply with their owners, have enormous personalities, are extremely smart, and are definitely quirky. They will love you, follow you everywhere, and are excellent protectors.

Because of all this, they will be reactive to strangers so you will have to socialize!

Don’t discount working line GSDs. Reactivity and temperament have more to do with proper breeding than working line/show line distinctions. Get a well bred pup that comes from good bloodlines. Meet the parents, and choose a friendly pup that isn’t skittish or nervous.

IMO male GSD’s have the best personalities.

@sherina Consider the first 3 yrs will be a lot of work and everything nice you own will be in jeopardy of getting tore apart. A good breeder will look at your situation and environment and let you know if they think a GSD is right for you. It takes a lot of time and effort , more than most people raising a family have. so approach with caution.

@matheww1 Yup. I underestimated the amount of effort a properly trained GSD would take. We have two young daughters (2, 4) and I needed a dog after we lost ours unexpectedly in April. She was so easy to train and was super chill, this is a different beast altogether, but we are finding our way through.

The fast attachment to the little humans has been remarkable. Off leash she just circles them in the forest. And as long as she has a ball or a stick she does t get nippy when they're running around.

Just be prepared to keep consistent and firm with every aspect of training. They're so smart, Any lapse and hey think "oh, I can get away with this now? Cool."

https://preview.redd.it/wjdf8kp0x3b...bp&s=45ec892d647ba3daa739a1b76977ccf850f9775d

@sherina A working line doesn't need a specific job, but all German Shepherds need exercise and something that demands their attention. I have two working line shepherds and between walks where they get to sniff trails for everything under the sun and jogging sessions with my wife they patrol my yard. They ensure that there are no birds, squirrels, rabbits, coyotes, moles or any other animal in the yard. It's just what they do.

I have a motion sensor on my backyard light, they have figured out if the light goes on they need to investigate. And I of course need to be awakened to let them go out to do it.

@sherina GSDs have a ton of personality. They are the dumbest smart dogs I've ever encountered. They need stimulation, exercise, a job... But, all that makes them some of the best dogs to integrate into your household.

GSD puppies are hell on wheels, but damn they are cute. Probably keeps you from strangling them.

You will need to be consistent with discipline and involve them as a member of the household. If you're willing to put in the work, you'll have a fantastic companion.

@sherina GSDs are a ton of work. With children and chickens and your experience with only small dogs I’d recommend a lab or a golden, maybe even a bull dog or a Great Dane (most are usually pretty laid back) other great options are retired racing grey hounds there are plenty who need homes and grey hounds are fairly chill. If you really want a dog with some zest maybe a Toller? Basically the same size as a border collie and high energy but a retriever so they won’t boss your kids around lol.