Considering a GSD puppy. I’ve had labs my entire life. Any words of wisdom or things to know about the breed?

ijesusafrica

I’m a female, mid 30s. Active, work from home. I have two labs, a 13 yr old male and a 3 yr old female. My husband is going to be gone for work a lot (3-4 nights a week) and we just moved into a new house with a huge yard. I am going to get a puppy in the next couple of months and I’m considering a GSD. I’ve heard great things but I’ve never been around any, I just like the idea of a dog who is smart, loyal, sweet, a little more alert to strangers, and maybe a little more intimidating to strangers than my current two who have never met a stranger they didn’t want to lick in the face. We go on lots of hikes, camping, and swimming. I ride horses a few times a week and would like to eventually bring the pup, supervised of course while I’m riding. We have backyard chickens who are enclosed in a large run area. We have a huge family and we are all constantly together, everyone has large dogs- labs, pits, goldens, border collie, ACD, etc- all sweet and non reactive to other dogs. Does it sound like a good lifestyle mix for a GSD? Any advice or words of wisdom or caution from GSD owners?

EDIT: Thank you all for the great advice!! Much appreciated. I’m a big believer in training early, firm consistency, and lots of love. It sounds like if I go the GSD route it will finally force me to get into running rather than walking 😂 before I make any moves on a puppy I hope to find a GSD group locally (anyone know of a group in N Ft Worth area??) so I can spend some time around young adult and adult GSDs. Maybe the next time I talk to y’all it’ll be to post a puppy pic ✌️

@ijesusafrica Honestly feel like most people here are over reacting. You sound like you have the perfect lifestyle for a GSD. It’ll be a lot more work than what you’re used to with labs but I don’t know how someone’s life situation could be better fitting than what you’re describing.

Edit: just don’t get a working line, unless you’re looking for that.

@ptimhoff I agree. There's some good advice above but GSDs aren't “that” different

Main thing to take from all the advice is train their brain not just their legs, my GSDs will lay down after chasing the ball 3 times in the park, and be full beans 5 mind later - if I do a few tricks with him he will sleep for hours

@ijesusafrica GSDs are insanely smart and need an occupation - something to do or else they will become very destructive. Labs and retrievers are also highly intelligent but they are usually so easy going, some preliminary training and good boundary settings are enough. GSDs need more directed attention. They are SUPER loving but can be needy if, like I said, aren't challenged and run out of energy. If you want them accustomed to other animals, especially prey animals, socialize them very early and very often.

@ijesusafrica Labs are extremely chill dogs. I realized this only after getting a gsd.

Say goodbye to personal space. Also they require SO MUCH more attention and stimulation.

If you feel like hanging around and chilling inside, my lab would always chill with me. My gsd doesn’t know how to chill it seems like she always wants to be doing something

@crucker2 Yes. I've had a number of different dogs/breeds over the years, including a lab. Our German Shepherd (13 months) is as you've described. Always up in our business. She's very smart. Loves any sort of games. And is incredibly athletic. Far more than a lab. So exercise is a must. Also she has strong guard dog instincts. Which we are constantly work on correcting. Good news is though, for the most part she learns quickly. The only difficulty I have with her is tugging forward on leash when walking.

@crucker2 Ziggy (our GSD) can chill if she is in your lap and laying on you on the couch. That’s been her “deactivate and chill” switch since she was a puppy. Watched whole movies and had sicks days just spent that way.

@ijesusafrica fair warning my GSD “guard dog” came defective from the factory, she loves everyone, people show up and my house and she’s there to bark at them but it’s only to get pets, she lies down with wounded birds and at night we have tons of frogs, her favorite thing to do is touch them with her nose to make them jump.

she’s an absolute sweetheart who loves cuddles but i suspect if a burglar came into my house she’d greet them with a wagging tail and lots of barking unless they petted her to her satisfaction

@ijesusafrica Usually I see this type of post and it makes me cringe thinking they might get a GSD.

But your situation sounds perfect for one. Just do some research and be ready to train & play a lot.

@ijesusafrica They’re very different from a lab. Labs are generally considered easygoing and sociable but GSDs are typically aloof at best.

Please spend time around GSDs from different lines. You’ll get to experience the differences in drive for working lines vs. ones bred for companionship.

I recommend reaching out to a local chapter of the breed specific AKC club.

They need a job and if you don’t provide one, they’re more than happy to find one redecorating (destroying) your house and landscaping your yard.

ETA: spend a lot of time with people’s adolescent dogs around a year old. That’s when many shepherds get surrendered bc people can’t deal with their high energy, strength, and independence (stubbornness lolol). They’re strong and athletic but also still haven matured at that time but they’re at least 70 lb.

Not trying to scare you, OP. Just want to bring up the less glamorous side of GSD to help you make an informed decision

@ijesusafrica They are awesome dogs, but full of energy as puppies into young adulthood and need things to keep them occupied. Research training methods and be sure to be ready for food allergies and such.

@ijesusafrica I have my first gsd and she's very chill once exercised (but I asked for this from the breeder), but we're navigating through teenage dog reactivity that I don't think I would've had with a golden or a lab.

Love the velcro dog part, but I put boundaries - I go in the washroom alone. But she will always be waiting just outside the door. The velcro part makes recall training easier, but separation training a bit harder.

My biggest advice is get a puppy from a reputable breeder that health tests and works/titles their dogs. At least start with the most solid genetic base you can to set yourself up for success! I'm pretty confident my puppy will be great when she's 2, but only because I have full confidence in her genetics.

@ijesusafrica Adding to what others have said.

As a word of caution:

Shepherds are instinctively "guard" dogs. This is something you probably would not have experienced with your labs.

While your labs may get worked up if people are playing around, a Shepherds is likely to misinterpret this and potentially bite.

They are unable to comprehend what truly is a danger, and what is a perceived danger and you need to be aware of this.

My guy is leash reactive. If he is off his leash he has no problems playing with other dogs because he will guide them away from me. If he's on his leash he will get rather worked up if strange dogs are too close to me. He thinks he is trying to "protect" me...

Some advice:

Shepherds need mental stimulation and a job, especially when they are younger A bored Shepherds is a destructive Shepherds.

You need toys and tasks for the dog to prevent any sort of 'damage'.

@robhandy Bad dogs are made to sit down until they decide they dont want to be bad anymore.

Given we are outside and he loves exploring he does not like having to sit down and do nothing. This has gotten him to stop a lot of bad habits (pulling, chasing rabbits, etc).

I also take a more sensible approach and warn other dog owners to keep theirs back.

@robhandy I dont understand your question?

You asked how I got him to be less leash-reactive.. I told you.. So yes, when he sits down and ignores other dogs he is not leash reactive, but when he would try to fight with every single dog he saw a year ago he was?

Back