[Breeds] Owning a dog for the first time (City Dwellers)

blessed4

**Introduction**

My sister and I live together in London (30m, 29f), we are after a dog, we have a 2 bedroom spacious flat and are after a small mini dog. Fortunately our jobs allow us to both work from home and this isn’t going to ever change.

1) Will this be your first dog? If not, what experience do you have owning/training dogs?

* Yes this will be our first time owning a dog. We’ve spent a few days with German Shepard puppies and have a good idea for the patience raising one will require. We’ve also been around dogs most of our lives with friends and family - however never formally trained one ourselves.

2) Do you have a preference for rescuing a dog vs. going through a [reputable breeder]( http://ownresponsibly.blogspot.com/2011/07/identifying-reputable-breeder.html)?

* Reputable breeder

3) Describe your ideal dog.

* A small mini dog that is happy with being in an apartment and doesn’t feel constrained by the size.

4) What breeds or types of dogs are you interested in and why?

* Right now we have a few we are interested in

A. Bichon Frise

B. Shih Tzu

C. Daschund

D. Pug, but we’re worried about the health issues, whilst we would get insurance. We were scared that it wouldn’t pay out- you’ve all heard the horror stories.

5) What sorts of things would you like to train your dog to do?

*I would want it to be well trained. We’re both happy to put the hours in for this. But I would like it to be obedient. Sit, jump, high five etc.

6) Do you want to compete with your dog in a sport (e.g. agility, obedience, rally) or use your dog for a form of work (e.g. hunting, herding, livestock guarding)? If so, how much experience do you have with this work/sport?

* Not particularly

**Care Commitments**

7) How long do you want to devote to training, playing with, or otherwise interacting with your dog each day?

* At least 1 hours per day between my sister and I

8) How long can you exercise your dog each day, on average? What sorts of exercise are you planning to give your dog regularly and does that include using a dog park?

* In addition to the training, we could manage 1 hours in total between us. We have a few parks here and would take it on a morning walk.

9) How much regular brushing are you willing to do? Are you open to trimming hair, cleaning ears, or doing other grooming at home? If not, would you be willing to pay a professional to do it regularly?

* We would want to do as much as possible ourselves. But understand that there are levels to our ability.

**Personal Preferences**

10) What size dog are you looking for?

* small- very small

11) How much shedding, barking, and slobber can you handle?

* shedding isn’t an issue, barking would be to a minimal, unless it’s absolutely warranted (someone new at the door etc), minimal slobber though

12) How important is being able to let your dog off-leash in an unfenced area?

* not that important

**Dog Personality and Behavior**

13) Do you want a snuggly dog or one that prefers some personal space?

* snuggly dog is ideal.

14) Would you prefer a dog that wants to do its own thing or one that’s more eager-to-please?

* no real preference

15) How would you prefer your dog to respond to someone knocking on the door or entering your yard? How would you prefer your dog to greet strangers or visitors?

* we don’t get that many visitors or strangers knock on the door. But I would like them to treat them well

16) Are you willing to manage a dog that is aggressive to other dogs?

* no

17) Are there any other behaviors you can’t deal with or want to avoid?

* it’s mainly barking and ones that don’t listen, along with slobber.

**Lifestyle**

18) How often and how long will the dog be left alone?

* in a given week (post puppy training) probably 3 hours per day, but this would be maybe once a week

19) What are the dog-related preferences of other people in the house and what will be their involvement in caring for the dog?

* both of us would look after the dog

20) Do you have other pets or are you planning on having other pets? What breed or type of animal are they?

* nope

21) Will the dog be interacting with children regularly?

* not any time soon

22) Do you rent or plan to rent in the future? If applicable, what breed or weight restrictions are on your current lease?

* small dogs are required for our lease

23) What city or country do you live in and are you aware of any laws banning certain breeds?

* London, UK

24) What is the average temperature of a typical summer and winter day where you live?

Summer: Celsius: 15°C to 25°C / Fahrenheit: 59°F to 77°F

Winter: Celsius: 0°C to 10°C / Fahrenheit: 32°F to 50°F

**Additional Information and Questions**

25) Please provide any additional information you feel may be relevant.

* Depending on the dog we get and who its more attached to, we will decide who gets custody based on this. Chances are high it will be me, which I’m excited for.

26) Feel free to ask any questions below.

@blessed4 Be careful if you get a dachshund; they're notoriously stubborn when it comes to training and they can be barkers (and it's capital-L Loud). Your concerns about pugs are valid.

Out of your list, I'd probably lean more towards a Shih Tzu (although these dogs are also a brachycephalic breed like pugs) or a Bichon. You could also consider a Maltese or toy/miniature poodle. Regular brushing/combing and haircuts are required for all of these though.

@satexsun Maltese/toy poodle is a good choice for a small dog. I think regular grooming is easier to deal with compared to cleaning up dog who sheds. Do take note white dogs like maltese look very dirty easily and are prone to having brown stains around their mouth due to their saliva.

@sadreamer71 Maltese with short hair are just forever babies. They are so damn cute! It was the first dog of my friends when they started to live together and she was a perfect fit. Now they have 4 lolol.

@blessed4 With any white or pale-coloured dog, you'll tend to see some staining around the mouth and eyes, especially if they're longer-haired as a Maltese, poodles, Westies, shih tzus (if white around the mouth) tends to be. You won't see it on darker-coloured dogs.

@blessed4 From what I read, this is due to some sort of red yeast growing on damp dog's fur. Can't really recall if it's due to the fur itself or the saliva. Yes, all dog breeds are prone to this issue. It all boils down to luck, my dog didn't have very brown stains but almost all the white dogs have very visible brown stains around the mouth and sometimes the ears and legs as well.

I think being a first time dog owner you wouldn't know the ease of having low shed dogs. You could hug your dog anytime without having their fur sticking onto your clothes or not having to clean your sofa, bed and floor frequently.

@satexsun similar to what i've said below, with the shih tzu, are the issues as bad as a pug for breathing issues?

We don't mind the combing and brushing, that's part of owning a pet i guess, it's more the health issues - which can be prevented if we choose correctly.

@blessed4 I don't think shih tzus are affected by it as notoriously as pugs are. If you're really keen to have one, then just bear in mind that making sure they stay at a good weight is important, as carrying roumd extra weight can make any breathing-related issues worse.

Any breed of brachycephalic dog also tends to be more prone to heatstroke in hot weather, for example, so it's important to consider if you intend to walk a lot or spend a lot of time outside in the summer (although really it's beneficial to make sure that you carry water for any dog if you're walking when it's hot, and avoiding the hottest time of the day).

I can't say what they're like for training as I've never had one and don't really know anyone with one.

@blessed4 I'm currently dog sitting a toy poodle and it's the perfect apartment dog. No shedding, super snuggly, and can chill or play with you at a moment's notice. This one wasn't socialized well so he still barks when people come to the door but if you're careful about that, then it should be manageable.

@mccleary yeah we don't really get guests or visitors, we don't even get people coming near the door, its quite secluded, and if someone does come to the door chances are it's a bestie or family or someone highly important - so barking is fine then, i mean its not fine, but i get it

@blessed4 Your descriptions fit our old Chihuahua to a T. They're great apartment/city dogs, very cuddly, and there's no slobber. They can be a little barky but if you have the time to train like you described, it shouldn't really be problem. They won't intimidate anyone, but they'll let you know they're there.

@jedi1693 Our chihuahua mix was the best watchdog. Rarely barked unless there was a stranger at the door. Id great insude a tiny apartment. Super cute and human-focused. I'd love a long-haired chihuahua at some point.

@blessed4 The "bity" ones are because people don't train them and/or don't respect their boundaries and so they develop fear-based aggression and resource guarding issues. A well trained, properly socialized chihuahua will not have these issues and will be extremely sweet and trusting.

This isn't limited to chihuahuas, it's true of any breed, but because chihuahuas are small people think it's "funny" when they develop these bad behaviours and so they don't do anything about it, some even encourage it for laughs. It's very sad.

Treat a small dog well and you'll have a wonderful best friend.

(By the way, I've had chihuahuas and shihtzus, none of them have been barky or bity, and I'd recommend both. The only thing about shihtzus is that they aren't suitable for long walks and they need a lot of grooming/haircuts. But they are great dogs and very emotionally intelligent! Chihuahuas are easier to train and more versatile, but they shed and require a bit more exercise).