Ask before you pet!

benjamin94

I’m the proud owner of a 5 years old Alaskan Malamute, living in the UK. Yes, he is beautiful. Yes, you don’t see them often around here. But none of the above gives you the right to walk over to my dog and start petting him, putting yourself in his way to pet him, run after us and start crying because I’m not letting you pet him (yes, it happened). Ask before you pet, you don’t know the dog, you don’t know how he will react.

Surely I am not the only one turning away rude/stupid people trying to pet my dog. Any techniques to tell people they are being impolite without sounding like a d*ck?

Thank you!

@benjamin94 I go straight for sounding like a dick, my last dog wasn’t friendly with other dogs or people 98% of the time. When I was polite people didn’t listen as well, that being said I used to say “hey he can’t say hi right now as we are in a rush to get home”(worked if on a walk or at a pet store) it’s worked maybe 20% of the time, another nice-ish way I would say don’t pet or ask first is “she’s in training don’t touch her unless I say it’s okay” most of the time I call my dog over and say “ask first next time dumbass” if it’s an adult, kids like 12&under I’ll say “please ask to pet next time some dogs aren’t nice” teenagers I’ll typically just say “ask first next time”

@solagratiaprosalute Yeah, I’m trying different variant but sometimes I just want to tell people to f*** off! It is just so annoying! Do I go over to your kid and give them a pat on the head? No! Leave my dog alone!

There are a lot of nice people but still quite a few who just don’t get it…

@benjamin94 It's so frustrating! I've had tourists just stick their hand in my dogs face (she's part shar pei so she has adorable wrinkles) and grin at me while we're on a walk. What the fuck do I do with that? A jogger did it to my neighbours American Akita while I was walking her and nearly slapped her in the mouth. She was very, very lucky she likes people, and even then she was visibly confused at this total stranger basically shoving their hand in her mouth. I honestly do not understand why people think they can do this

@benjamin94 I think it's reasonable to just say "No, sorry. She's not predictable with strangers. Working on it!"
Flash a smile and move on.

This being said, I have a German shepherd that looks scary enough for people to believe me.

@benjamin94 When I just can‘t be asked to explain it again, I simply say: „yeah, I guess the fleas/diarrhea should be fine by now, should be safe enough to let your kid pet her. That chemicals are so strong nowadays… „
works like a charm, just don‘t do it in your close neighborhood or your dog loses all their friends 😉