Is it normal for a prospective pup purchaser to ask to speak to the breeders vet?

@sqs1 Dogs do not need vaccines yearly, tittering shows if a dog needs to be vaccinated. Rabies needs to be done at 6 months, 18 months then every 3 by law. In my area, dogs should have a heartworm/tick panel done yearly. Yearly vaccines can contribute to autoimmune responses and research shows DAPP is effective once tittered for a minimum of 7 years.

@cosimnot That’s good to know! My vet told us that tittering is more expensive than just doing the vaccines so we should do them instead, but I will look into that.

@sqs1 Please don’t listen to the dog antivaxxers, yes all vaccines have some amount of risk but that doesn’t mean we should throw the baby out with the bath water.

@sqs1 If your breed is one of the breeds (or a mix of breeds) that are prone to autoimmune issues, tittering is better than a vaccine that could trigger an autoimmune issues. Tittering is more expensive ($64 at my vet through IDEXX vs 25-30 for a vaccine) but Addison's, Autoimmune Hemolytic Anemia, etc. (there are many, especially skin issues) is a lot more expensive than tittering at rabies appointments.

@sqs1 I would probably investigate other vets based on what you are saying yours has said. But that is just me. I would not want to be a breeder relying on this vet.

@home4good Oh, I actually don’t see that vet anymore due to some things unrelated to the vaccine advice. Go figure. But I had not talked to my new vet about not vaccinating yearly.

@jtanurdjaja The vet thing is weird, no vet visits even weirder.

Our pups go at week six for wellness check and shots.

I would think past client referrals would be better than a disinterested vet.

@jtanurdjaja I think there is a miscommunication here, I often find that families read some article on a Google search "what makes a breeder reputable" and folks take it as the gospel. I'm going to say it's a yellow flag, I can see why they wouldn't want a family contacting their personal vet, what are you looking to gain from this? There are privacy practices in vet med similar to human medicine that would prevent the vet from divulging most information beyond if they are a client or not. As for the breeder not having the pups vet checked I think this is where I change to red flag, it's certainly best practice to have a vet provide a well check to all puppies. Even the most experienced breeder can miss things that a vet will find. In 20 years of breeding I've only had something similar come up once. I had a wonderful family that got scammed by a backyard breeder end up with a puppy with severe TVD. She wanted to be present when my vet examined the pup. I scheduled a separate appointment so that she could be present, was it a bit of a pain, sure but it gave the family the extra confidence they needed after a traumatic experience. I have my vet do a wellness exam and vaccines at seven and a half weeks, they also get their chips at that appointment. Even as a nurse I can't stand chipping puppies, my breed has thick skin and it's just not my ides of fun LOL

@jtanurdjaja I would happily give my vet as a reference if asked. I would not think it offensive or weird. DO NOT purchase a puppy without a health check - most breed parent clubs even have this a a code of ethics requirement.

AKC Breeder of Merit/AKC Breeder with HEART participant/AKC Ambassador

@jtanurdjaja My breeder gave me all vet records at pick up and also sent me updates each vet visit. Not going to a vet would be the red flag for me. Not giving vet contact info wouldn’t bother me. Imagine their vets office doesn’t have that bandwidth if they have 12 puppies a litter. This is assuming all health checks are registered for parents.

@jtanurdjaja I'm a 1-time breeder so far. If someone asked me that, privately I'd feel a little taken aback probably but I would absolutely allow it because I want someone to decide on my dogs only if it's right for them. Although I'm not sure what info you'd get from the vet in terms of your concerns that they are inexperienced breeders.

I bring my puppies to the vet for checks and vaccines though, so... my methods are different than your prospective breeder.

@jtanurdjaja Puppies should be seen by a vet multiple times before going to their new home, I don’t care how tidy their house is, if their dogs aren’t being seen by a vet unless they are sick—that is extremely lazy and irresponsible.

@sergeant98 Once is enough. Multiple times, unless older than 8 to 14 weeks, is not necessary. My repro vet would rather talk on the phone and use pictures, video for any issues with neonates. Unless, really sick and she feels there is something she needs to see in person, the well puppy check/vaccine is all that is recommended.