Am I Wrong for having my dog in her crate while I’m at work?

@neysonclark79 Crating is the safest option in your situation since your dog is destructive. Is she settled when she is in crate? You can slowly integrate her from a crate to a puppy proof area with the crate inside like a hallway once she is a bit more well mannered/settled.

If you have concerns about potty needs while your gone it’s great to have someone be it you or your partner, a friend, a neighbor, family member or a company let your dog out for a potty break and/or very short walk to stretch their legs and relieve themselves.

A big thing that can help a dog be settled in their crate while you are gone is hitting all their needs prior to leaving home. So it’s important your dog gets exercised before leaving; for a high energy breed flirt poles are amazing for tiring a dog out quickly. Then some mental enrichment, you can do some training be it obedience, functional or trick training. You can do scent work like looking for snacks, using a snuffle mat, topple for their morning meal, allow them something appropriate to chew on like a beef cheek roll or bully stick.

You can also leave your dog enrichment but please be careful and mindful as some dogs will destroy these things. Kongs are great as well as the brand chew king for food enrichment/busy work. I actually recommend chew king over kongs for dogs who get easily frustrated as they are easier to get food out of. You freeze the food in the toy, or can be some peanut butter, yogurt and dog food with a couple dog treats and your dog will have the human equivalent of crossword puzzle/or watching tv to keep them busy. Lick mats are great too but also have the same caution as they can be destroyed.