My friend’s GSD mix just attacked her 1 y/o son. She sees nothing wrong with this. Help?

@anadascal JFC. I don’t know how to support you. I can’t believe this is just allowed to happen. In UK social services would be called by hospital and that child would not be going back into that house with the dog there. The owner would probably also be prosecuted for having a dog dangerous and out of control. That’s not a nip.

@anadascal This is criminal behavior on her part, IMO. 100% guaranteed the ER reported this to animal control and/or the police. She is way out of league with this dog and the next time it bites her child, it could be the last.
Report her if you want to be serious. This is so so so dangerous.

@anadascal I'll skip straight to #4: Yes.

I have an 8 month old, and while my dog is reactive towards other dogs on-leash, he is super sweet and 100% gentle with all humans.

That said, if he did anything that made me think my kid was at risk, I'd rehome him in an instant.

Little kids trip and fall. They pull things they shouldn't pull. You want a dog whose temperament means they're unlikely to do anything harmful to a kid, even if the kid does something they shouldn't. This dog has clearly failed that test.

@anadascal The UK is usually way more strict about this!
My family had a Japanese akita which did something similar and was put down by the police within the same day.
It's strange they haven't intervened unless she hasn't made the police aware.

@anadascal This is horrific, the dog just growling in the babies direction should be enough for her to separate them but biting to the point he needed surgery? Absolutely not, I’d rehome the dog immediately, send it to live with a child free family member or friend, anything rather than risk my kids life.

Would she be ok with a person stabbing her child? Would she minimise it by saying “oh well it was only a little knife/just a warning stab”. A dog that bites is essentially a living, breathing, unpredictable weapon. That dog should never be around kids especially little ones. It could well be a one off but is she really willing to bet her kids life on it?

@anadascal I have 2 reactive Shiba Inu’s. They are dog and leash reactive but are sweet with humans. Kiba (7M) absolutely loves everyone. Revi (7F) is a little stand offish at first but she warms up. They both loathe other animals. Kiba will try to attack dogs with no warning. Revi is a little slower to react. Neither of them had ever met a child until my sons GF brought her 2 year old over.

I was hyper vigilant during their meeting. Everyone in the house thought I was over reacting by being so on guard. But you do not throw a couple of dogs in a room with a 2 year old. Especially when they have never met a child before. Kiba was a dream. He was gentle and calm. Revi did not want anything to do with the toddler so I made sure to keep them separated.

GF ended up moving in with the 2 yr old. 2 year olds are busy little bees. Always running around , getting into shit, throwing shit, and making loud noises. My Shibas were not used to that. He started chasing them around the living room so they would come hide behind me. I made it a point to tell my husband, son, and GF that the dogs needed to be monitored around the toddler.

“Oh there fine” was what I was told. Thankfully I’m not a fucking idiot. I know my dogs and can tell when they are calm, stressed, or beginning to get agitated. So when things got to be too much for them I’d put them upstairs. One night I was cooking and we were all hanging out. I specifically told the 3 of them not to let the toddler get in Revis face. Kiba is docile, Revi is chill as long as you don’t pull her tail, touch her feet, or get in her face.

Well Revi was laying under the coffee table. The toddler decided to crawl under there and get in her face. My people were not paying attention. I, on the other hand, kept my head on a swivel no matter what I was doing. I turned towards them right as it was going down and I yelled “Revi No!” She let out a high pitched warning bark but did not bite him. Scared everyone. I immediately removed her from the situation.

This situation could have ended very badly. Revi is only 22lbs but she could definitely fucked up a child. So now Revi is only allowed in the living area when the 2 yr old is running around if I am there to closely monitor. I do not trust anyone else.

Recently, my first grandson was born. The first day he came home I introduced him to the Shibas. They sit next right next to me while I hold him. I allow them to smell him everytime they see him and we all hang out in my bed together. My goal is to have them involved in my grandsons life. They will be best friends one day! But I would never leave them all alone together while the kids are so young.

@anadascal A dog biting any small child is an automatic either get rid of ( or in much more serious cases like possibly here put down sadly) that dog should not be put in a house with kids, especially ones that cannot read a dogs body language and know what a growl means. NO dog ever should be put around children for the dog’s safety and more importantly a small child’s/kids if it cannot handle being messed with (eyes ears paws tail) or even stepped on, I’ve never had a dog in my house that if you accidentally stepped on them their first automatic reaction was to bite, especially if it was a little kid. This is also incredibly unfair to the dog if they haven’t been tested and broken of that reaction not only does it run the risk of the dog being killed but it puts incredible stress on the dog. This woman has no right to own any dog at all, I get that you love a dog like it’s family, but if a family member hurt my or anyone’s child so bad that they had to have cosmetic surgery it’s out of my house. I don’t know what the right course of action is for your situation the best I can give you is to talk to her honestly or call animal control/stage a runaway that dog could kill that baby.

@anadascal It is up to parents to teach kids to be careful around dogs. Any dog can bite under the right circumstances. In this case, since it’s already been reported and everyone is aware of it, and it’s not your child or dog, stay out of it

@made2latreia How is a 1 year old baby supposed to learn not to accidentally step on a dog’s tail…especially when the baby doesnt even know the dogs background or doesnt even know that the dog is reactive to the point where it could’ve possibly killed the baby…
Edit: i read the age wrong but it still does not change my point

Back