Am I walking my dog too much?

@davy I think so. A 9 lb dog does not need that much walking. HOWEVER, as an animal (all animals including wild) rescuer, depending on the mix your dog may need the release of energy. Example you said nothing of play time. Play time lessen the walk time. Dogs need to be walked regardless of play. Now 90% of small/toy breeds will not walk that much. But the other 10% love it especially terrier mixes. So what am I getting at? If your dog enjoys the time out (which I feel is unconsciously for you) why stop. With that said, if you aren't having play time (fetch for example) I would add this into the mix. If dog don't care, vet never said a word about dogs legs or hips then it's nobodies business buy yours. Enjoy the fresh air

@ron815 We do play with his Kong Wubba ( have tried other toys, this is his favorite), when he asks. He's not really a big fetch dog. I try when he initiates play but he doesn't do it often.

I watch his signals, he lets me know when he doesn't want to walk, i.e. he won't leave the porch. (This has happened. When it's too cold, or right after his shots, or when he's just tired)

@davy Well then don't worry about what people say. Sounds like you and your dog have top relationship. My one dog a shih tzu never walks the same amount ever. When she's had enough she's throughs her self on ground and will not move. It's either drag her the rest of the way ( not an option ) or carry the lil fur bag. Ugh let's say I'm a lot strong these days. Lol

@davy My guess is every time you walk by their dog barks so they're blaming you instead of their dog for the barking. There are people who hike back country with their dogs. There are people who complete races like the Iditarod and the Yukon Quest with their dogs, literally running for six hours at a time with a six hour rest. You and your dog are fine. Pay attention to signs of soreness, ripped pads, and being out of breath or overheated but other than that you and your dog are living your best life!

@davy Walk him as much as you want. The only concerns would be:

Is the pavement hot/burning him?

Is there salt hurting his feet?

Is he having trouble breathing/overheated?

Is he on cage rest for a medical condition?

If not, walk on. If you need to adjust his calorie intake, you adjust it, but you don’t cut down on walks, just increase food (if necessary). After his neuter, he may pork up a bit on his own. A lot of people think their dogs are underweight because we are used to fat dogs. Feeling ribs isn’t a problem. If you are seeing all of them plus spine? Yeah, too thin. But a lot depends on how a dog is naturally shaped. Breeds like Boxers, you’re doing to see their rib cage unless they are so thickened in the waist that they don’t have a distinct tuck. Confer with your vet about body condition/caloric needs. But your dog is very lucky to have an owner who enjoys being outside with him so much.

Source: vet med for 12 years

@davy I take my 10 year old jack Russell to work 8 hours a day where all she does is wonder around in the countryside and she still wants walks when we get home. I’m starting to wonder if you can over walk a dog. Keep it up I’m sure your pups love it.

@davy Sounds like they're projecting on you. My 6 month old poodle loses his mind if he doesn't get his two walks and yard time and playtime every day! A tired dog is a happy dog and I think a lot of dogs would be thrilled to have the amount of bonding time out that you're getting with your pup.

The only thing I would caution (which I'm sure you've considered) is making sure his food intake has sufficient calories versus his exercise. But other than that, sounds like you're doing right by the little dude and he's probably having a blast!