Will me leaving my dog for a couple of days potentially cause him harm?

vanesyu

So l have a 4 year old dog he is very attached to me, mom, and brother the whole 4 years of his life I have never left him with someone for a couple of days.
When we traveled it was by car so we took him with us. Now all three of us have to travel very far with a plane and we will be gone for a week, I have talked with a friend and she agreed to take care of him while we are gone she also has a dog that he has met a couple of times. I was feeling good about this arrangement until I heard from a couple of people that it was very common for a dog to get depressed and stop eating if you leave them for a couple of days causing them to pass away. I am very scared and I am not sure what I should do? I was thinking about leaving him for a day or two just to see what will happen and if he will be okay. Do you guys have any suggestions on what I should do and what will make this process easier?

@vanesyu Maybe, the danger is the dog'll assume you're never coming back, aka dead

Normalising it before you go is a very good idea, a day or two with two family members then three is your best bet. The danger is because it's all 3 of you, your dog has lost all of their family, their support.

@vanesyu At 4 years old? No. It's more a concern with very old dogs, especially leaving them in a new situation without as much care and attention especially.

I think you should do it- you can't live your life NEVER being apart from your dog and better to start now so they can be accustomed. Your friend is staying in with him- just make sure she's very attentive. He might eat less the first day or so, he might not. My dogs miss me, but I think it's also kind of fun for them to get all the loves and be doted on my our pet sitter.

Leave a t-shirt you have slept in for a few days wherever he sleeps. This will help. Leave lots of fun nums and toys with the pet sitter. Make sure the pet sitter gives him lots of love and attention if he wants it, and follows the routine.

Okay story time. I used to work at a doggy daycare. We fostered too there. There was a great family dog the family had to rehome because of divorce who came to stay with us. She had all of her fancy things. And she immediately went to the outdoor part of the indoor outdoor yard and lied in the snow and wouldn't move. No joke, I had to carry this 50lbs. dog in. She was despondent. So I was like "I HAVE to take this dog home." we usually try to wait a few days to let them acclimate. I had her home with me for one or two nights, and she was doted on by my family because I still lived at home so they were excited to have a dog (and she was quite cute so such a cute one) in the house. When she got back she was a totally different dog than before I took her home for a few days. She was her bossy, cute self. She was adopted by a new family in a matter of days (they couldn't meet her at my house, so I had to take her back some of the time at least.) She trotted off happily, and I know she's been having a fantastic life.

My point is dogs like things the same, and they like love and attention to feel safe. Just have your pet sitter offer a lot of love and affection and maintain the routine. There is every chance is goes well and your dog understands because you are only going to be gone for a short time and dogs are perceptive. My dogs always get and got that, even though they both have major separation anxiety. Hopefully your dog will get it too, and he will be okay in the meantime with love from your friend, fun, treats, and toys. A diligent pet sitter who offers much affection and love is much different than an out of the blue kennel stay that they are not used to. Especially at your house.

@vanesyu Yes you definitely need to start normalizing it, now. Start with a few minutes and build up to hours and days. Make the dog stay away from you while in the house as well, again, starting with a few minutes and building up to a couple of hours.

Also
  1. Do not make your leaving or returning a big event. This makes the dog anxious about it.
  2. Make it to where the dog's favorite treats and toys are only given by the friend, and if she's willing to help with this beforehand so much the better. That's just encouraging the dog to consider the friend a very good person.
You can actually call the friend while she's with the dog in your absence, and the dog will recognize your voice.

@vanesyu Leave him for a day or two, see what happens, go from there. I wouldn't be too worried about it though. I've boarded my dog with strangers in the past, and she is a basket case of separation anxiety. She ate less for the few days, but was otherwise fine.

Back